Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
We need to tidy up names of colours.

There are a few different sources of information on SVX colours.

The most informative is the SVX site maintained by Jamsvx,
http://www.geocities.com/jamsvx/versions.html
so James, if you are reading this or lurking, please join in the party

Where I see a need to tidy up is in the use of similar names in different markets for colours that are not the same.

As an example of this, on James' geocities list, the early Japanese cars have a colour James translates as Crimson Mica, and the code is #265. I am pretty certain this is the dark purple early cars that are known in the US as Claret.

In direct contradiction with this nomenclature, in the European catalogue listed on the same site, they list the name Crimson Mica as #487. This is listed on the JDM models page as Bordeax Lead Mica, and in the US on Joe Spitz' site as Bordeaux Pearl from 1994.

In other correspondence I have seen the pretty bright red metallic and black colour being called Crimson Mica, a name reasonably apt in this case.

So there we have the same name used for three totally different colours.

We need to go back to basics on this. My suggestion is this; we do up a spreadsheet; we list every different colour we know about for the SVX in the first column by its CODE #.

In the other columns we can list the "common usage" name it has been given in different markets. We can also list if it was never available in certain markets if we know this information. For instance, the JDM market seems never to have had the bright reds. I'm thinking here of what the USA refers to as Barcelona Red and Brilliant Red, and I also do not think these were offered in Europe, though I could be wrong about that after 95.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Here is the UPDATED list that I have for US/JDM. I don't have the paint code for the bright yellow or the metallic red/black that was used on the German/JDM SVX's. It's a start anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SVX Color Codes.doc (42.0 KB, 264 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 12-04-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess
Here is the list that I have for US/JDM. I don't have the paint code for the bright yellow or the red that was used on the German SVX's. It's a start anyway.
John, thank you.

In this one document you have already covered most of what I am trying to tidy up or elucidate.

I have a few questions, and the first of these is about Ebony. You list it as Ebony Pearl 235 / Black Mica 135. What does the Black Mica 135 refer to?

I have in the distant past seen posts where there was reputed to be two types of pearl black paint. One type with red mica granules in the paint make-up, and a similar one that has instead green mica granules for the pearlescence in the paint. Is it the case that 135 refers to the paint with green granules?

Or does it instead refer to a code for the black roof and bootlid of the early cars with two colours?

The reason I ask this is because my Ebony Pearl car, aka Black Betty is red mica paint all over, no difference between the roof and trunk lid paint and the rest of the car. So is the Mica 135 paint the one with green mica?

Thanks

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-04-2006, 03:51 PM

Registered SVX
Who has a car with Green Mica?
Any pics of one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
John, thank you.

In this one document you have already covered most of what I am trying to tidy up or elucidate.

I have a few questions, and the first of these is about Ebony. You list it as Ebony Pearl 235 / Black Mica 135. What does the Black Mica 135 refer to?

I have in the distant past seen posts where there was reputed to be two types of pearl black paint. One type with red mica granules in the paint make-up, and a similar one that has instead green mica granules for the pearlescence in the paint. Is it the case that 135 refers to the paint with green granules?

Or does it instead refer to a code for the black roof and bootlid of the early cars with two colours?

The reason I ask this is because my Ebony Pearl car, aka Black Betty is red mica paint all over, no difference between the roof and trunk lid paint and the rest of the car. So is the Mica 135 paint the one with green mica?

Thanks

Joe
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 12-04-2006, 04:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
The JDM Bordeaux Lead Mica should actually be Bordeaux Red Mica.

JDM Colours:

91-93
Silver Grey Two Tone #215
Dark Grey Metallic #222
Black Mica #235
Red Mica #247
Crimson Mica #265
White Mica #267

94-95
Silver Metallic #249
Peacock Blue Metallic #269
Light Silver Metallic #406
Emerald Green Mica #434

96-98
Emerald Green Mica #434
Blue Mica #389
Bright Green Mica #517
Light Silver Metallic #406
Bordeaux Red Mica #487

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 12-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks for that paddles.

So it's the L and R confusion with the language then? That explains a little.

Good info so far. Thanks guys.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Work thus far....

OKaaayyy

I have uploaded the spreadsheet to my locker, you can see it here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/use...ntialist|40159

It needs tidying up, but the information received tonight from John and from Paul has cleared up a few points.

The spreadsheet answers a few questions, but it also asks quite a few, and we would need feedback from people in Australia, in Germany and so on to fill in the gaps.

Tone in Portugal can supply the only code not listed, that for Randy's favourite colour, Bright Yellow!

John Hoffman, the red colour in Germany you are missing is #247, Red Mica. This is mistakenly listed in Geocities as Lead Mica #947.

Some other questions I am not certain of would be if Barcelona Red is a solid red, i.e. non-metallic or non-pearlescent. Also I think Barcelona red appeared only as a Red with Black roof, but I need this confirmed.

And was this colour combination available in England?

Another piece of speculation I have left open is about the three tone silver cars available ONLY to the JDM market in 91-92, and extremely popular there. Can anyone confirm if the colour scheme is black/215 Silver Grey Metallic/217 Medium Grey Metallic? This is speculation on my part, but it is hard to see where these colours would have been used otherwise.

Any information you can add, I will update. When we have it 90% confirmed, we can post the spreadsheet in the How-To section, to help people with accident repairs.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 12-04-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

I chercked inside all of my brochures. Here is what I found:

My UK brochures show photos in only
....Claret (with black roof and trunk)
....Silver (with black roof and trunk)
....Black

My Japanese Alcyone brochure color chart shows:
....Silver/Gray two tone (with black roof)
....Red Mica (with black roof and trunk)
....Pearl White (with black roof and trunk)
....Dark Gray Metallic
....Black

My Japanese Alcyone S4 brochure shows (all solid colors)
....Silver
....Bordeaux red Mica (Bordeaux Pearl)
....Bright Green Mica (Polo Green)

My German brochures show these colors (all without spoilers)
....Black

The 25th Anniversary Barcelona Red and the later Brilliant Red are solid, non- metallic colors with clearcoat.

I recall the yellow color code being something like 216 or 516.

Another interesting thing is that my 1997 Canadian SVX brochure color chart shows:
....Black
....Bordeaux Pearl
....Polo Green
....Brilliant Red
....Laguna Blue (although I know of no one who has ever seen a Laguna Blue Pearl in 1997)
....The photo in the brochure shows a Laguna Blue plowing through the snow, with the 97 grille
....plainly visible.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 12-05-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Another piece of speculation I have left open is about the three tone silver cars available ONLY to the JDM market in 91-92, and extremely popular there. Can anyone confirm if the colour scheme is black/215 Silver Grey Metallic/217 Medium Grey Metallic? This is speculation on my part, but it is hard to see where these colours would have been used otherwise.
I have the JDM Subaru colour chart which shows ALL the Subaru colours ever released for the JDM market. The codes for the two tone silver are Silver Metallic #249 and Grey Metallic #250.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 12-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
I checked inside all of my brochures. Here is what I found:

My UK brochures show photos in only
....Black

My Japanese Alcyone brochure color chart shows:
....Silver/Gray two tone (with black roof)
....Dark Gray Metallic
....Black

My Japanese Alcyone S4 brochure shows (all solid colors)
John, I'm sure you mean these cars are coated all in one colour, no black roof. When painters say "solid" (s) they refer to the fact that the paint is flat, with no metallic flakes or pearlescence. These colours have 2 pearls and one metallic
....Silver
....Bordeaux red Mica (Bordeaux Pearl)
....Bright Green Mica (Polo Green)

My German brochures show these colors (all without spoilers)
....Red Mica (with black roof and trunk)*
....Black
*Interestingly there is a '93 German brochure on sale on eBay this week. The colour chart shows 372 Barcelona with a black roof. Yet we know from Bipa that the Mica Red was also sold there.
The 25th Anniversary Barcelona Red and the later Brilliant Red are solid, non- metallic colors with clearcoat.*
This was always my understanding. Joe Spitz throws confusion in the mix by stating that the Brilliant Red for '97 is a rich metallic with clearcoat.{He describes it alongside Bordeaux, Polo and Ebony also available that year}
I recall the yellow color code being something like 216 or 516.

I have one unclear scanned brochure from James, a European one in English so presumably UK. Yellow is described as Bright Yellow and the barely legible code is 516 or 518 maybe. We will get Paulo to confirm

Another interesting thing is that my 1997 Canadian SVX brochure color chart shows:
....Black
....Bordeaux Pearl
....Polo Green
....Brilliant Red
....Laguna Blue (although I know of no one who has ever seen a Laguna Blue Pearl in 96 or 97)
....The photo in the brochure shows a Laguna Blue plowing through the snow, with the 97 grille
....plainly visible.
That is surely interesting. James has Bright Silver, Blue Mica and Green mica available for S3, 94-95 {old grille} in Japan, with Bright Silver, Bordeaux Mica and Green Mica for the later{chrome grille} S4, 95-97. Maybe the colour was still available in 95-96 when the brochure was produced and the new grill was coming? Dropped later?

I must check my own brochures, but I don't remember any colour charts.

Thanks John

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
More good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlesnz
I have the JDM Subaru colour chart which shows ALL the Subaru colours ever released for the JDM market. The codes for the two tone silver are Silver Metallic #249 and Grey Metallic #250.
Thanks Paul.

This is good to know. At least we now know that the 3-tones as I think of them use Liquid Silver as the main colour, and a new code #250 for around the skirts.

Many thanks.

As another piece of pure speculation, I am now wondering if #215 and #217 two colours supplied by John as JDM, could be the codes for the colours on the wheels? We have always been aware that the wheels come in a darker and a brighter silver.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlesnz
I have the same catalogues and charts,

Are the two-tone cars, Gray Metallic 250 on the lower portion and Silver Metallic 249 over the rest of the car, including the roof?

The three-tone cars are the same colors, except the roof is black. I have only seen this combination, but disregarded the roof color and considered the body to be two-tone. Are there 2 versions?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
As another piece of pure speculation, I am now wondering if #215 and #217 two colours supplied by John as JDM, could be the codes for the colours on the wheels? We have always been aware that the wheels come in a darker and a brighter silver.
I think the Medium Gray Metallic 217 is the same color as the Gray Metallic 250. I can't imagine Subaru producing three shades of metallic gray for the same car.

As far as the Bright Yellow. the code is 518. I retrived an old saved email that I sent to Bell-Colvill in the UK. I asked them what the color was.

I have never found the color codes for the wheels in any publication or reference. Transwheel Corporation, one of the largest wheel refinishing companies in the US, has five wheel colors listed for the SVX, each with a different refinishing code: Maybe there were production variances in the early years.

1992-93
Gray Charcoal
Medium Charcoal
Light Charcoal
Charcoal w/purple undertone

1997-97
Bright Silver

An if this isn't confusing enough. As long as we are talking about wheels, Transwheel also has two fifferent codes, one with a smaller centerbore. I have only seen the larger centerbore. Did the 4WS cars use the other one. See attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX Wheel_large-small centerbore.jpg (131.2 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 12-05-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

Are the two-tone cars, Gray Metallic 250 on the lower portion and Silver Metallic 249 over the rest of the car, including the roof?

The three-tone cars are the same colors, except the roof is black. I have only seen this combination, but disregarded the roof color and considered the body to be two-tone. Are there 2 versions?
No to the first. It is common for people to speak of "2-tone" cars as the ones with liquid silver bodies and grey metallic flanks and bumpers. They ignore or forget that the car has a black roof, and black is another "tone" or colour.

I regard all the early cars [other than black or graphite] as 2-tone cars once they have the black roof. I regard the black/silver/grey as 3-tone.

But then I am a pedant.

These 2-colour greys always came with a black roof John. I have never seen one with two greys only, so all are 3-tone really.

This begs the question what are the colours #215 and #217 used for? That's why I suggested the wheels.

Paul is adamant the early JDM cars used Liquid Silver 249, either on its own with a black roof, or with the grey lower portion 250 and the black roof. All the later cars used the bright silver. So what are the other two silver colours used for?

Where did you get the codes John?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-05-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:

The three-tone and two-tone are one and the same. Even though there are actually three colours, black/silver/grey, the Japanese called it a two-tone colour scheme.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure