Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2006, 10:34 PM

Electric Turbos

Well my buddies looked at my car and told me I should put two electric turbos on there, move the collector, and get some sort of pressure spout for the buildup after checking how many ccs my alternator is. Also, they said true dual exhaust would be easy to do. Altogether I'm looking at +50 hp and +6 psi. Does anyone know the fuel pump ccs? Will this work?
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Locker Link Solution

not trying to sound rude, but I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

If you are serious, the only increase you will see is the balance on your credit card.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 10-06-2006, 11:47 PM

?

<<and get some sort of pressure spout for the buildup after checking how many ccs my alternator is. >>

umm, what?
Old 10-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxthc
Well my buddies looked at my car and told me I should put two electric turbos on there, move the collector, and get some sort of pressure spout for the buildup after checking how many ccs my alternator is. Also, they said true dual exhaust would be easy to do. Altogether I'm looking at +50 hp and +6 psi. Does anyone know the fuel pump ccs? Will this work?
get some cross-drilled brake lines, too - you'll need serious stopping power with all that extra grunt under the hood.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-07-2006, 12:40 AM

Are you talking about the electric superchargers instead of turbo chargers. Turbo chargers do not rely any other forces other then the exhaust gases therefore don't need another motor to spool them up. I don't know a whole lot about the electric superchargers but from what I've read about them they only can maintian enough power to run for a short while before the thermal protection inside the electric motor trips and turns the electric motor off. If your referring to a waste gate to relieve the built up pressure in the intake is beyond my knowledge but I don't think you would need it if you can rig the superchargers to cut on and off only when you press all the way down on the pedal. Either useing a micro switch under the pedal or somehow tap into the computer. Maybe somehow use the signal that cuts off the A/C system as a way to turn your electric superchargers on when the pedal is fully depressed. Anway from what I've read the electric motors would drain your electrical system down pretty quickly so it's not something you leave running all the time. Only for quick drag racing and stuff like that.
As far as the alternater goes you'd have to add up your amps with all your accesories on including the supercharger and compare that to the alternators output. There should be a amperage rating somewhere on the altenator. I would also recomend getting some really deep cycle batteries like Optima's. Optima's really made a difference on a vehicle I had that had a electric winch. As far as the fuel goes I think you would have to use a setup similiar to any other supercharged or turbocharged SVX. I chip that keeps the fuel injectors opened up longer, and the diferent sensors that account for the increased air, etc etc. For all I know you might be able to mount it and go but I bet it's gonna mess with your sensors. Good luck and let me know.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
I'm with Speedklix

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-07-2006, 05:00 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
if you turn them on while you are on idle. you'll notice that your rpms will go up. that's all i saw. not on this car.
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 10-07-2006, 07:55 AM

I agree with everybody else in that I thinks its not money well spent but I read a old Hot Rod issue or some magazine like that and they put one on a 78 chevette or some other late 70's economy car that had no other modifications and it showed some gains in the 1/8 miles track they had it on. I can't remember what it was but something like one or two 10ths taken off. I don't think they even changed the jets. That was done on a smaller motor with less air needs. I doubt they can make a 12 volt compressor that can maintian 6-10 psi @ 750 cfm. My craftsman compressor at home consumes 17 amps @ 120 volts and your talking like about 10cfm at 40 psi. So I'm just guessing but 10 psi would still only be about 30 cfm which is far short of the needs of a motor. Keep in mind if your 3.3 liter motor is nothing more then a compressor and look how huge it is compared to some of the larger 2 and 3 piston 220volt compressors. That's kinda what your going against. I think it's a neat idea and is feasable but I'd guess money could be better spent on something thats proven. Even if it shows gains how long is that electric gonna run at those loads? Good Luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:57 AM

Thanks Hose. I did my homework and came to realize electric turbos are really crap. The real ones cost a grand and only last for 15 seconds due to the high electric demand before needing to recharge the batteries. The question really is if the money I put in would require more money in repairs, possibly be bad on the engine...whatever. I've come to the conclusion that the SVX has its perks, but they are not really geared for racing against other high performance cars. I could spend 300$, let these guys monkey with my car, but is two tenths of a second down the quarter mile worth all the time, effort, and hassle? lol There's always true dual exhaust. That would be fairly cheap considering I just have to split the main pipe and put on some race mufflers. Do I want to bastardize the quiet pur of my car for two fart cans? LOL That I'll have to think about.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxthc
Do I want to bastardize the quiet pur of my car for two fart cans?
Well.. if the exaust is done correctly for your application... it wont sound
like a fart can....

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
you might want to look into the rear mounted turbochargers -- they do actually work and the only major pain with them appears to be routing the oil supply lines back to the engine. The electric turbos defy fundamental laws of physics...
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 10-07-2006, 12:02 PM

Trying to re-work what other engineers have already designed is pretty hard.
There seems to be some guys on this site that have managed to gain some good power out of the 3.3 motor but I don't think these are the average guys with average knowledge and average tools. Sadly they didn't make the car faster during production. Had they done that, I think sales would of increased although not much. Slow sales was what ended the RX-7 and Supra a year after the SVX started coming out. I love the car and even though it is not fast in stock form, it's a pleasure to drive and it's true value to me is in it's oddity. I think the car was too ackward for a middle-aged person which had the money to buy it, too slow and too expensive for the younger crowd to buy. Leaving only us people who are either die-hard Subaru fans or Odd Balls that like wierd stuff to purchase it. Good luck with your SVX. Out in Redding you should be able to take advantage of its AWD up in the Sierra's this winter leaving the seasonal sidewalk sissy sport cars in the snow dust Later, Hose.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 PM

hey

believe it or not i am in saint louis mo right now!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Quote:
Trying to re-work what other engineers have already designed is pretty hard.
There seems to be some guys on this site that have managed to gain some good power out of the 3.3 motor but I don't think these are the average guys with average knowledge and average tools. Sadly they didn't make the car faster during production. Had they done that, I think sales would of increased although not much. Slow sales was what ended the RX-7 and Supra a year after the SVX started coming out. I love the car and even though it is not fast in stock form, it's a pleasure to drive and it's true value to me is in it's oddity. I think the car was too ackward for a middle-aged person which had the money to buy it, too slow and too expensive for the younger crowd to buy. Leaving only us people who are either die-hard Subaru fans or Odd Balls that like wierd stuff to purchase it. Good luck with your SVX. Out in Redding you should be able to take advantage of its AWD up in the Sierra's this winter leaving the seasonal sidewalk sissy sport cars in the snow dust Later, Hose.
This has to be the single most intelligent and common sencical (tm) post on this board I've seen in months. Amen
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-09-2006, 06:36 AM

Why thank you, thank you very much. I'll be signing my new book at Barnes&Knobles later this afternoon, although I don't have a title yet, come of to think of it I don't even have a subject. Yikes, I better get busy!