IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 4.44 gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
That would be a 4.11... Known not to hold up for very long... Just ask 92LSL I believe who just swapped one a few months back and is about to lose his high clutch completely...
Or ask SVX FF who had installed 5 411's including two rebuilts, all to fail.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Thanks for the clarification.
I've searched, and dug. Are there specific Tranny stickers, and Vins that I should be looking for?

I talked with a salvage guy yesterday, and he was having a time just finding a ref to the car I should be looking for to get 4.44

I told him 4.44, but maybe he was lost, I dunno
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

96-early 98 outbacks, legacy GT's, and a couple other models with a 2.5...
Old 09-09-2010, 04:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Or ask SVX FF who had installed 5 411's including two rebuilts, all to fail.
I knew there were many others who had issues...

The problem is that the 4.11's actually have one or more less clutch discs per set compared to the SVX while the 4.44's have the same amount. This is why the 4.11's just don't hold up from everything I've learned and heard...
Old 09-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Quote:
96-early 98 outbacks, legacy GT's, and a couple other models with a 2.5...
Thanks. I'll focus on the 2.5 aspect while looking for Legacy. Too bad both of the 98 Outbacks already got gutted for drivetrains.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 09-09-2010, 06:46 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX View Post
Thanks. I'll focus on the 2.5 aspect while looking for Legacy. Too bad both of the 98 Outbacks already got gutted for drivetrains.
On any trans that you look at, make sure it does not have the spin on trans filter or it will not be compatable.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
On any trans that you look at, make sure it does not have the spin on trans filter or it will not be compatable.
Thanks. I did catch that one.

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
96-early 98 Legacy Outbacks, Legacy GT's, and a couple other models with a 2.5, like an Impreza 2.5 GT, Foresters...
Added details.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 PM

Registered SVX

I'm going with 4.11 in mine simply because I have 4 or 5 of them laying around my shop. I've seen more 3.9 and 3.54 4EATs fail than the 4.11's. I think it comes down to where the car is driven.

I live in Alaska, so we have horribly cold weather in the winter and most subaru owners up here own them because of the 4 wheel drive and the need for it to get up their driveways. I believe the 3.9 and 3.54s failed more often up here because they are more of a highway gearing vs the 4.11 and 4.44. 4.44 has the tightest gearing so the trans has to actually work less than a 3.54 ratio trans on the same grade of hill as an example. Not to mention the engine working harder also.

Keep in mind, thats just what I've seen being one of the few Subaru mechanics in the town I live in. I have a early 98 Forrester trans on the floor in the shop, wondering if I should swap that out with one of the 4.11's I have so when my trans I just installed fails, I have the 4.44 to go in it. LOL
Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxxx View Post
I'm going with 4.11 in mine simply because I have 4 or 5 of them laying around my shop. I've seen more 3.9 and 3.54 4EATs fail than the 4.11's. I think it comes down to where the car is driven.

I live in Alaska, so we have horribly cold weather in the winter and most subaru owners up here own them because of the 4 wheel drive and the need for it to get up their driveways. I believe the 3.9 and 3.54s failed more often up here because they are more of a highway gearing vs the 4.11 and 4.44. 4.44 has the tightest gearing so the trans has to actually work less than a 3.54 ratio trans on the same grade of hill as an example. Not to mention the engine working harder also.

Keep in mind, thats just what I've seen being one of the few Subaru mechanics in the town I live in. I have a early 98 Forrester trans on the floor in the shop, wondering if I should swap that out with one of the 4.11's I have so when my trans I just installed fails, I have the 4.44 to go in it. LOL
For one, 3.54 is only used in the SVX auto's and searching will find all of the different reasons why they fail so much. 3.90 is only a manual transmission ratio or fwd auto ratio from imprezas so they shouldn't be failing. 4.11's don't fail in the cars they are originally in because they are in non-turbo 2.2 or smaller displacement cars that weigh a lot less than an SVX and have much less power and torque. This is why they fail so often when swapped into an SVX. You might get lucky and it might last 20k miles, but I wouldn't expect it to last much longer than that unless you are really, really easy on it.

Just my thoughts...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
For one, 3.54 is only used in the SVX auto's and searching will find all of the different reasons why they fail so much. 3.90 is only a manual transmission ratio or fwd auto ratio from imprezas so they shouldn't be failing. 4.11's don't fail in the cars they are originally in because they are in non-turbo 2.2 or smaller displacement cars that weigh a lot less than an SVX and have much less power and torque. This is why they fail so often when swapped into an SVX. You might get lucky and it might last 20k miles, but I wouldn't expect it to last much longer than that unless you are really, really easy on it.

Just my thoughts...
WOW, You go girl!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link