IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-18-2006, 08:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Nice Photo Nick!

May I briefly hijack the thread with a question for you camera gurus? I have a Minolta 7000 35mm SLR. But I want a digitial camera. Can I get a digital body that is compatible with my Minolta 7000 lenses?
Apparently Konica Minolta (the companies merged a few years ago, I think) has digital SLRs on the market - but it seems like they're difficult to find. If you have a lot of money invested in your lenses, it might be worth finding them. If you can stomach it, you might be better off switching to Canon or Nikon.

I have a Canon EOS digital SLR and it's a fantastic camera. I've heard good things about Nikon as well, of course.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Apparently Konica Minolta (the companies merged a few years ago, I think) has digital SLRs on the market - but it seems like they're difficult to find. If you have a lot of money invested in your lenses, it might be worth finding them. If you can stomach it, you might be better off switching to Canon or Nikon.

I have a Canon EOS digital SLR and it's a fantastic camera. I've heard good things about Nikon as well, of course.
+1 for canon
Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Really Senior Member

Last year SONY bought the camera assets of Konica Minolta. They have just announced a new Alpha series Digital SLR and it is supposed to be compatible with Konica/Minolta lenses going back a long time. I don't know the details but suggest going on Google and checking out the reviews for the new SONY Alpha which is supposed to start shipping this month. They are introducing 22 new lenses along with the camera. The older lenses would probably require manual focus compared to the newer ones with auto/manual.
Anyway, check it out.
I am waiting delivery for a new NIKON D200 with an 18-200mm zoom lens. That lens is on Back order everywhere. Supposedly SONY is using the same CCD in its new Alpha as in the D200 since SONY makes the CCD for NIKON.
Good luck.

Stan

Sold 92 Pearlie in 2002 and 96 Polo in 2009, both to Earl Steele. Currently driving 2004 Acura TL
Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbu815
Last year SONY bought the camera assets of Konica Minolta.
Oh, good. Then they can make a new camera that uses proprietary storage, has features nobody wants and sell it at a price point that doesn't make any sense.

No, really, thanks for the info.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
Oh, good. Then they can make a new camera that uses proprietary storage, has features nobody wants and sell it at a price point that doesn't make any sense.

No, really, thanks for the info.

That's helpful for those who have heavily invested into Minolta lenses though.

Dunno about Sony's products as I have been disappointed with their electronics of late.

I'm glad I got a Canon then because I surely did not know that Sony makes CCD in teh Nikons.

<----won't be buying anything Sony for many years to come.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 PM
WIT

i am, by no means, professional, but i do enjoy taking pictures and try to make them decent and interesting... here are a few i've done:

Nelson Overlook at Kirkridge on the Appalatian Trail right outside of Bangor, Pennsylvania

An abandoned mine outside of Pottstown, PA (where they brew Yuengling). I didn't touch this up at all, the stream flowing out of the mine is actually orange.

The pond at Millersville University in PA

The Tortoise
Old 07-18-2006, 09:21 PM

k, so i've got another one of the girl...
(i took a series of her, and was very happy with about 7 or 8... but i wont bore you with all of them... just one here and there...)

'88 Acura Legend (wheel fell off)
'90 Audi 80 quattro (50mph into side of truck)
'95 Saab 9000cse turbo (sold)
Old 07-20-2006, 06:30 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I would major in photography but my school doesn't offer it. Here's some of my stuff. Most of it is shot with my Rebel XT and 17-40 F4L lens or EF 50 1.4

2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-20-2006, 06:31 AM
My car's Italian, right?

2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-20-2006, 06:36 AM
My car's Italian, right?

I didn't see this thread at all. It was mostly at the bottom so I just had to bump it up

The new Sony Alpha camera looks interesting, as it solves a lot of the issues current dSLRs have. It's always good to have competition because they it will cause other manufacturers will have to keep up.

I as well swear by Canon because my first camera was a Canon and loved it, but if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't hesitate to try Nikon. They are on par with the Canon, although Canon's higher end L series is better than Nikon's high end lenses.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIT

An abandoned mine outside of Pottstown, PA (where they brew Yuengling). I didn't touch this up at all, the stream flowing out of the mine is actually orange.
PottsVILLE... But now that you have given away the secret of why Yuengling taste so good, we will have to kill you

Most of my photos worth sharing are on 35 or 4x5 sheets. About the only thing I do anymore is snapshots

I'll try to find something to share...

And +1 for Canon
Old 07-20-2006, 08:16 AM
Really Senior Member

WOW! You guys really took some great pictures.
Received my NIKON D200 with the 18-200mm VR lens yesterday. It'll probably take me forever to learn every feature because it is loaded with Menus and sub menus. Anyway, if anyone reading this has any advise on the NIKON DSLR line (D50, D70, D100, D200, D2X etc) please let me know.

As for Mr. Pockets comments regarding SONY's previous introductions....I checked one of the reviews and the new Alpha camera will take CF cards as well as SONY proprietary cards via an adapter for the SONY card. Also, the price point is $999. , not too shabby. The camera has built in image stabilization, too and, as I said before, it has the same 10Mp CCD as in the NIKON D200. It also has a feature that instantly starts to focus as soon as you hold it up to your eye. I am not a big SONY fan either but at least it appears they are trying.

I didn't go for it because I really wanted a NIKON and the D200 has other features that looked more interesting. The D200 has been out since late 2005 and it has received excellent reviews. It was between the D200 and the Canon 30D.

Sold 92 Pearlie in 2002 and 96 Polo in 2009, both to Earl Steele. Currently driving 2004 Acura TL
Old 07-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbu815
As for Mr. Pockets comments regarding SONY's previous introductions...
I wasn't really referring to their cameras. Actually, I was specifically complaining about the PS3...which was off-topic anyway.

I actually do like some Sony products. I love my PSP, for example. Uh...that was also off-topic, in exactly the same way. Hoo boy.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Stanbu815-

I have and love a Nikon D100 with the 18-70mm lens, it is crisp, clear, and amazing, it is actually easier to use than my previous N90 because of the selector knob on the left side, one thing I avoid with the D100 is ever going past ISO 800, and usually leave it on 200 unless the situation is way too dark. enjoy!
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
Nice Photo Nick!

May I briefly hijack the thread with a question for you camera gurus? I have a Minolta 7000 35mm SLR. But I want a digitial camera. Can I get a digital body that is compatible with my Minolta 7000 lenses?
Hi Phil, I appear to be chasing you about here.

I have been a long time SLR user and had the same thoughts regarding my Pentax. But after taking all into account, including economics, I decided a complete camera was the way to go. What is more the major advantage of the SLR is partly sidelined by the LCD viewer. Because of the difficulty in setting up the many functions, I and most find they stick with automatics and play at the computer stage. Not classical but practical.

The tree house photo is a classic.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: