How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-30-2006, 09:31 PM

Unhappy Stalling problem fix

Hi - Need some help

I’m new to the group. This group is great!! I have a Barcelona red 1994 with 91,000 miles on it. It’s been suffering with a stalling problem and will stall at a stop sign or as you pull out. I read all the posts and started to fix things. I changed the following things:

Replaced fuel filter
Cleaned the MAF with vinegar
Cleaned the idler air control valve (IACV)
Cleaned the throttle body
Checked the fuel pump by turning the key and letting the gas flow into a bottle—looked like good flow but I did not check the pressure

Did not change the PVC because I could not get it out.

Put it all back together. The car fired up great, was idling at about 2,000 rpm for about a minute, then started dropping down to 750 and was bouncing around. Stepped on the gas, went back up to 2,000, again started dropping down erratically and then stalled. Stared up again, ran for 10 seconds, then stalled. Now it turns over, engine kicks off a couple of times and then stalls, so it is progressively getting worse. I believe I put everything back correctly. Does anyone have any ideas of what may be causing this? Whatever I did seems to have made it worse.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 04-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
See if you can beg, borrow or steal another MAF sensor. An Impreza one will fit. I too did the vinigar dip with no improvement. All stalling problems I had were cured with a "new" used MAF sensor.
Good luck, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
check the ground on the back of the intake manifold, passenger side
Old 05-01-2006, 03:14 PM

Ground is okay

Thanks for the replies.

I checked the ground to the intake manifold, looks good, .4 ohms to the negative terminal. I'll have to look around for another MAF

I restarted the car and this time kept it accelerated at 2,000 rpm to see if it would change any after warming up. It seemed to suffer the same problem, cold and hot, which was a very rough idle that jumped all around and eventually would stall. The idle would go from 500 to 1,000 rpm almost as if it was pulsing several times before it would eventually die. Thanks everyone.

Jeff
Old 05-01-2006, 03:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to madj80
The same thing happened to my car. It was the MAF. It's amazing how many problems the MAF can be responsible for.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to 19svx94
i am suprised that a MAF could cause problems like this because i have ran my car with the MAF unplugged while i was working on it and even then it runs
Old 05-01-2006, 05:14 PM

I did so much work on this problem it made me sick. Learned about and cleaned everything. Replaced Coil packs at big $$$. Finally I took it to a shop. They spent about a week on it and finally suggested replacing the MAF. I found a used one and popped it in. The car has run perfectly ever since. Cleaning the MAF did nothing.
Good Luck.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:44 PM

I just posted a document with a HowTo on MAFs, maybe something in there might help:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&highlight=maf
Old 05-07-2006, 12:19 AM

heh

check to see if your intake manifold bolts are lose. that was my case i just recently solved. car runs great...
Old 05-08-2006, 07:02 PM

New MAF

Update - I went back and cleaned everything and tighted everything up. The car is cranking but not turning over and starting. I finally went out and got a new MAF $$$$$. I instaled it but the car is still just cranking and not starting up. I'm not sure where to go next. Any more thoughts would be helpful.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:56 PM

By the way you described your car running the last few times it ran after you replaced everything, it sounds to me like fuel is not making its way to the injectors. I would take the new fuel filter out, check the pump one more time, and try to start it again with the old filter in place. Theres only so many things that can cause the car not to start at all. Either no spark, no power to the injectors, or no fuel pressure.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:06 PM

Thanks for reminding my of the basics - I pulled the hose on the the filter and turned the key - NO Fuel this time.

Is it possable the fuel filter is working intermitantly. It was one of the first things I clecked. And the car was running (with bouncing idle) before replacing the MAF. Is there a Fuse that could have blown? Or an intermitant electrical open in wires? How do you check the fuel pump?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:22 AM

The chase for the problem continues

I cleaned the contacts on the fuel pump contector on the top of the tank. The fuel is flowing again. the car started up and idled at 2000 rpm and droped back to 700 rpm when warmed up.

Now I hear a clicking sound from right hand side on engin that varys with rpm (about 10 xs a second at 700 rpm) and the labors at 700 rpm drops close to stalling and than go back to normal. Exhaust smells rich.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWykos
I cleaned the contacts on the fuel pump contector on the top of the tank. The fuel is flowing again. the car started up and idled at 2000 rpm and droped back to 700 rpm when warmed up.

Now I hear a clicking sound from right hand side on engin that varys with rpm (about 10 xs a second at 700 rpm) and the labors at 700 rpm drops close to stalling and than go back to normal. Exhaust smells rich.
Wow your car is full of surprises For starters check the spark plugs on the right side of the engine. Make sure they are not loose and that the coils are functioning properly.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
This is a new clicking? Just making sure you're not just hearing the normal injector click.