How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
Engine starting / stalling problem

I have read a lot of posts on a similar problem that I am having but still a little different... My 92 always starts very quickly in the mornings and it will rev up some for a short time and then idle back down I think that is fairly normal. If I don't let it sit for a couple of minutes, it doesn't have to come up to normal opperating temp, it will drive away fine and I don't try to speed off as I live in town so about 25 mph is all I do for a mile or so and then when I get on the highway it still seems fine but within another mile or so it starts to loose power, sometimes I can make it keep going by putting it in a lower gear for a while but most of the time it will continue to loose power and then die. it will restart but not very easily and it sounds like it is very slow on time as it is cranking because it seem to crank very easily and then when it does start it missfires badly and I can smell oil smoke , I am not sure if it is coming from the exhaust pipe or from being pushed out and getting on the manifold , and after a while, it will start to smooth out and once it finely gets to idling smoothly then it will take off as if nothing were ever wrong. And as I said it starts great in the mornings or after it has sit for several hours and also if I just start it back up right after shutting it off but if I wait around 4 hours, it has to crank a quite a while longer to start, I have changed the coolant temp sensor a couple of times thinking that was the problem but it didn't make any difference. Back to the dying problem,, if it runs just a few minutes it doesn't cut out or run rough however there are times even after it has been running a long time and on the highway, it does seem to try to missfire some at a constant speed but with just a little more acceleration it smooths out, it doesn't do that a lot though unless all the above are related. There have been times in the past that it woujd do all this and all of a sudden it would work just fine but this time the problem isn't going away.. The check engine light has only blinked on a very few times and never stays on and that isn't when I am having problems.. So, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate any advice.. Thanks. Vernon
Old 09-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Stalling.

If the check engine light has blinked, it has stored a code. Chech what the code is. I would guess that the crank position sensor signal is weak.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
Well , I finely got around to checking the codes and what comes up is #28 which looks like the left knock sensor,, does it seem reasonable that it would cause all those problmes??? Thanks. Vernon
Old 10-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayford
Well , I finely got around to checking the codes and what comes up is #28 which looks like the left knock sensor,, does it seem reasonable that it would cause all those problmes??? Thanks. Vernon
The Knock sensor can cause the loss of power that you have, but I don't know about it cutting out compleatly. Replace the Knock sensor and see how it goes after that.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.