How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Ciscokid

Tires shudder in turns

I seem to have trouble in turns, the steering wheel starts to shake and the car is not too easy to turn.

The car is fine under braking, no steering wheel shake at all, and the tires are brand new, although the previous owner mounted thhe rims backwards. I am thinking the tires were put on correctly just on the wrong rim.

Also, can anyone tell me how to get a shop manual for the SVX?? I tried Chilton's but there was nothing specific on the SVX, just a manual for all Subarus for certain model years.....anyone know how I can get a good one for my 95??

Thanks
Old 12-14-2004, 07:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
That sounds to me like binding. The clutch that connects the front and rear halves of the drivetrain slips, acting sort of like a center differential. When the clutch isn't slipping like it should (due to a bad duty solenoid C or, apparently, worn transfer clutch), since the front and rear wheels take different paths the clutch binds.

You either need a new duty solenoid C, a new transfer clutch pack, or both.

The clutch and its solenoid are both in the extension housing, so the transmission does not have to be removed from the car to perform the repair. But it still requires a good deal of work and I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you're pretty experienced.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Ciscokid

Doh!! Sounds expensive, lol.

Oh well, I guess when you get near 100k things will need to be done, I was just hoping I could own the car for a few months before starting to repair it!!

I know my brother can do the job, he is a mechanic, but he told me he wants me to get a good repair manual for my SVX, so once I have my hands on a good reliable manual I will be able to start fixing the car with no labor costs, which is helpful because I can spend the money on parts

About the solenoid and such.....aren't I supposed to get a warning light or a check engine light or something if a certain item is malfunctioning?? I am a total noob, so keep that in mind.

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Factory Manuals

kid, The factory manuals are expensive, first of all, with the set for the 92 model being the basics, plus an update book for each year after. Retail running, per subaruparts.com
List Price $231.06 - 343.23
Our Price $172.67 - $256.49 depending on year.
Currently eBay has these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...941681418&rd=1
starting at $163.99. You'll occasionally see them here on the board for sale as well. I will tell you that they're invaluable! They also published a "corrections" book, and you regularly see parts lists for sale on ebay as well for dirt cheap. Good luck with your new "sailboat"!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 12-15-2004 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:16 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid
About the solenoid and such.....aren't I supposed to get a warning light or a check engine light or something if a certain item is malfunctioning?? I am a total noob, so keep that in mind.

Thanks!

You should get a "power" light blinking on the dash right after the engine starts if the solenoid was bad. A bad clutch would not trigger a light.

Dave
Old 12-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
the book that has all the years seems to have most of the information. its a little harder to located the specific directions for the SVX. But it still helps out in many situations.

Didn't somebody have the full subaru SVX shop manuals on disk? if not.. someone should spend a day of their time scanning them in and sell them for 10$ a piece or something. this way, they'll recover the time they put into it, and the cost of the book, and maybe a little extra, while the community gets a cheap way to view the FULL manual.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Why has no one mentioned:

http://techinfo.subaru.com
Old 12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Thumbs up

very good thing. I downloaded half of the service manual....they limited me to 20 downloads per hour because i kept on downloading lol. I didnt space them out enough...kept goin one after another.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Ciscokid

soobie....

were you able to download everything you needed with just the 72 hour subscription or did you get a longer one??

Not a bad deal if you can download everything you need for 19.95!