Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-20-2004, 09:12 AM

Unhappy '92 AWD Transmission

hi, I just bought a 92 SVX and loved it for about 4 weeks, after that time it began slipping on 4th gear until i got cought in heavy stop-and-go traffic for about an hour in 92 degree temps; after i was able to resume speed, it would not shift into 4th gear and all i got was flare! i got it home on 3rd gear. i checked the ATF fluid and it was dark brown so i changed it and the internal filter in the box. i backflashed the oilcooler in the radiator and the exterior filter and i still can't get it to shift to 4th gear. now it won't shift to 3rd unless i blip the throttle and backdown on it. is it possible that the TPS has gone south, i measured the resistance and got
456 Ohms on the outer connections of the sensor, was i supposed to check the resistance while the sensor is still connected to the car?? i also noticed the Dropping resistor next to the battery get very hot, is that normal and does it have any bearing on the shifting of gears other than smooth out the transissions between gear changes? is there anything else i need to check. my car in the tranny shop right now and they said they have found no codes of any kind to suggest what the problem might be, they're going to drop the transmission today to look inside for a possible cause. any advise will be greatly appreciated...

thanks,

Bert
Old 10-20-2004, 04:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
That's how my tranny died. Likely going to be a clutch pack failure. It could be rebuilt but will probably be cheaper to replace. Some people have gone with Legacy/Impreza trannies w/4.11 or 4.44 gears for cheap.