How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-19-2004, 11:35 PM
DearPrudence

Smile hello boys & girls

I'm still sorta kinda around. The MA5T3R is still just sitting in my driveway, taunting me with his undriveability.

But GET THIS... Last week I decided to take him for a quick cruise around the block (which is about as far as he can go without overheating). Normally, I'll just dump coolant in the radiator before I go, but this time I dumped it in the overflow reservoir. I heard this loud splashing and thought WTF? So I peeked in that general direction and was perplexed to find coolant just POURING out of the bottom of the reservoir! Evidently, from what I could see, there is SUPPOSED to be a hose of some sort connecting the radiator to the overflow reservoir. For some reason, my SVX no longer has one. Now, I'm no mechanic, but dontcha think something like that may result in rapid overheating? Hmm.... I called my mechanic and left him a message, he has not returned my call.

If I wasn't such a lazy butt, I could probably get my SVX fixed in about 5 minutes. But I'm a lazy butt, so in the driveway he sits.

How are all youse folks doin?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Sue isn't really striped

Welcome back, I was wondering if you were still around. Glad to hear you still have SVX. Interesting thing about the missing hose there.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:20 AM
DearPrudence

Indeed. It's been about 3 months since I've been able to drive that car, because I thought the engine was messed up. To think it may be something as simple as a stupid hose... frankly, that chaps my hide. I know the hose was there BEFORE. So yeah, I'm back
Old 10-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Hey DP, I guess ya didn't abandon us after all.
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:29 AM
DearPrudence

Only temporarily, NB
Old 10-20-2004, 05:03 AM

Missing collant reservoir hose

The purpose of the coolant reservoir is to keep air out of the radiator. When the coolant heats up, it expands. The radiator cap allows that colant to collect in the reservoir. As the coolant cools, it contracts and the radiator pulls a vacuum and draws coolant back from the reservoir.

If the reservoir is empty (your case), the radiator draws air into the system as it cools. Driving around with air in cooling system can cause hot spots and overheating as you describe. Prolonged driving in this mode can cause to cylinder head gasket failure in some cars; it really depends on the overall cooling system design.

Start with replacing the hose, fill the reservoir and refill the radiator and see if that doesn't cure the problem.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is the hose missing completely or just unplugged?

ie. is there a small hose plugged in to the top of the radiator?
Old 10-20-2004, 04:39 PM
DearPrudence

Re: Missing collant reservoir hose

Quote:
Originally posted by gsodonis
The purpose of the coolant reservoir is to keep air out of the radiator. When the coolant heats up, it expands. The radiator cap allows that colant to collect in the reservoir. As the coolant cools, it contracts and the radiator pulls a vacuum and draws coolant back from the reservoir.

If the reservoir is empty (your case), the radiator draws air into the system as it cools. Driving around with air in cooling system can cause hot spots and overheating as you describe. Prolonged driving in this mode can cause to cylinder head gasket failure in some cars; it really depends on the overall cooling system design.

Start with replacing the hose, fill the reservoir and refill the radiator and see if that doesn't cure the problem.
Thanks for the info! That was very helpful, because I really don't understand how the cooling system works and it seems to be my SVXs main problem (so far, that is). I'll have the shop try that and hopefully I can start driving my baby again.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:40 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Is the hose missing completely or just unplugged?

ie. is there a small hose plugged in to the top of the radiator?
Hmm, not sure about that. I just noticed that it's missing from the coolant reservoir.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Superbeast

Yay

It's a possibility, I hope it works for you. I would hate to see you get to attached to the Mitsu*****y.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 10-20-2004, 11:42 PM
DearPrudence

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
Yay

It's a possibility, I hope it works for you. I would hate to see you get to attached to the Mitsu*****y.
ME TOO!!!! I don't wanna get too attached to the mitsu, either. I actually have to PAY for the mitsu. Blecch.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:03 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by DearPrudence
Indeed. It's been about 3 months since I've been able to drive that car, because I thought the engine was messed up. To think it may be something as simple as a stupid hose... frankly, that chaps my hide. I know the hose was there BEFORE. So yeah, I'm back
If this is the problem after all, I will be happy for ya.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I'll share a tip I discovered after swapping out engines. The cooling system on the SVX has the flow at a slight rearward angle. If you jack up the front end so the front wheels are off the ground, it shifts to a slight forward angle. You can then idle the car with the filler cap off and fill the radiator as the air comes out. It only takes about 10 minutes for the system to work out all the air as if it is nose high.

Good luck and glad to see you around again.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: