How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-13-2004, 12:35 PM
mattscar75

Angry Engine Light comes on, especially in warm weather

I went to Nate Wade Subaru in Salt Lake City to have them run a diagnostic check to see why its happening. I paid them money for the diagnostic and I told them if its a knock sensor of O2 sensors I would do the work myself. The service guy reluctantly told me that it was either the knock sensor and the O2 sensors. So I went ahead and did the O2 sensors but the engine light still comes on. Is this common?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:07 PM
deruvian

What year is your SVX? If it's pre-96, you can run the check engine diagnostics yourself. It's very simple. Look at the "Codes" section here. Otherwise, Autozone will check the codes on your '96 or '97 for free.

And since he told you it was "either the knock or O2," I would think that he either did not actually run the diagnostic or just didn't feel like working that day. The diagnostics will tell you exactly that threw the code. It would say "O2 - left side," or "Knock sensor - right side."

If it truly was "either the O2 or knock," the problem may very well have been the knock sensors. That would explain why the light is still on. I would suggest that you somehow get the codes on your own terms — either do it yourself, or have Autozone do it. Keep in mind that there are two knock sensors on all SVXen, two O2 sensors on all pre-96 models, and three O2 sensors on all '96 and '97 models.

Last edited by deruvian; 05-13-2004 at 01:15 PM.