Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-09-2004, 05:54 PM

Unhappy Cam Seal Installation Help Needed

I've been working on my timing belt/water pump replacement over the weekend, and everything has been going smoothly, with the exception of installing new cam seals -- I just can't seem to get them in!

First off, the part number: Subaru 806730150

Am I using the correct seals?

I have lubed the ID of the new seals, but have left the OD unlubricated, per Beav's prior advice on this forum.

I've tried tapping the new seals in using a 2 inch length of one-inch diameter PVC pipe, but no progress. Part of the problem is that there is limited access (even with the radiator removed) to swing a hammer and give the pipe a nice sharp blow.

One last question for Beav -- I used Hylomar when reinstalling the oil pump, per your prior recommendation. I have no prior experience with it (I've always used the "Ultra Black" silicone). Does this stuff work? It doesn't appear to be hardening.

Thanks for any and all help!

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Old 05-09-2004, 06:34 PM
deruvian

Re: Cam Seal Installation Help Needed

Quote:
Originally posted by lanciat
I've been working on my timing belt/water pump replacement over the weekend, and everything has been going smoothly, with the exception of installing new cam seals -- I just can't seem to get them in!

First off, the part number: Subaru 806730150

Am I using the correct seals?

I have lubed the ID of the new seals, but have left the OD unlubricated, per Beav's prior advice on this forum.

I've tried tapping the new seals in using a 2 inch length of one-inch diameter PVC pipe, but no progress. Part of the problem is that there is limited access (even with the radiator removed) to swing a hammer and give the pipe a nice sharp blow.
I just did my cam seals a few weeks ago. Part number 806732150... Which isn't the same as yours. The price is different too. You need to reorder a pair of the right ones mate.

When I put mine in, all I did was take a little drop of oil and spread it on the edges of the seals. The coat was barely visible, but helped in the installation process.

When tapping mine in, I took a solid piece of aluminum rod, about 3/16" in width and 4" long, and used that to tap in the seals. I just took a very small rubber mallet and tapped on the seal in a star-like pattern (exactly the same pattern as when you tighten the lugs on your wheels). I definitely took my sweet time though: About 10 minutes per seal. I tapped each corner of the "star" twice then moved to the next one. They went in straight and never started to go all cock-eyed.

You can tap it in with the PVC, but I would still user a star pattern instead of just tapping in one spot. You shouldn't need a lot of space for the mallet/hammer when using such a light tapping motion. Once that seal starts getting crooked, you may as well just pull it back out and get a new one. Letting them go cock-eyed is a bad deal.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the advice on the correct part number. I had given subaruparts.com the correct number, but they shipped me the wrong seals, and I didn't bother checking the invoice before trying to install them.

Anyway, I picked up the correct seals today, and they went in very easily. Everything is all buttoned back up, although there are still some fluid changes left to do before I fire her up.

Thanks again!

Joe Fillip
'95 L AWD ("The Wayback Machine")
Swarthmore, PA