Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2004, 05:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to starsh0t Send a message via Yahoo to starsh0t
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Can you have someone else start the car with the hood up and you trying to indentify the noise or the location of the noise?

Todd
the noise feels like it was coming from somewhere around the alternater
Old 05-06-2004, 08:47 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

yea i will definitley do that tomorrow morning.....i cant start my engine just yet because i had a crack in the muffler and i covered the crack with some muffler welder stuff....its a compound and it has to dry over night so tomorrow morning i will definitley do that
Old 05-07-2004, 12:42 PM

ok i started the car and popped the hood to see where the noise was coming from and it was coming from somewhere near the alternator. i couldnt pin point exactly where but im pretty sure it was near the alternator.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:33 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

I vote powersteering pump... The looser that had my car before me put powersteering fluid in there and it says plain as day "Use ATF in place of PS fluid" on the lid... That made some interesting sounds but nothing bad happend from it... Just drained the steering and filled it with ATF... No more sound

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-07-2004, 07:59 PM

yea i couldnt decide whether it was the alternator or the power steering pump since their both so close to each other. i had originally thought it was the steering since i allready have a steering problem. the wheel when i turn it makes a growling noise or something. also when i turn the wheel maximum to one direction it feels like somethin is bumping the car from behind its really strange. i dont know what to do if it is the power steering tho. the noise is very embarrasing.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:21 PM
SVX Appeal

Your description, "interference on a microphone," makes me think you mean a static noise like when your TV has no reception. If this is what you mean, I would suggest that perhaps your starter gear isn't releasing. This would cause the sound you get when you try to start an engine that is already running.

If by "interference on a microphone," you mean feedback, then that sounds like belt squeal. This can usually be fixed by simply tightening the offending belt. Sometimes the belt is worn, and should be replaced instead. In some cases, belt squeal is indicative of another problem, meaning that any pulley-driven device may not be turning freely. You mentioned having a steering problem. This may be related.

To test the belt theory, simply remove the belts and see if the sound goes away. Your dash warning lights will be on when you do this, but won't cause any problems. Just don't leave the belts off for very long or your battery will become discharged.

If you can better clarify what the noise sounds like, and exactly when it happens, we may be able to provide a better answer.