Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Ball Joint

Changing my passenger front lower ball joint this weekend. Any suggestions to make this project easier on myself?

TIA

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-04-2004, 10:40 AM
UniqueAngle

take it to someone that know what they're doing ... they'll have the tools for it. You'll also probably need an alignment once it's replaced.
~Brenda
Old 05-04-2004, 11:07 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
As I recall, a press/puller is not necessary, so the balljoints are pretty easy.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
As I recall, a press/puller is not necessary, so the balljoints are pretty easy.
Thats what I was hoping for. Thanks

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 05-04-2004, 12:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The lower ball joint is pretty easy to replace on an SVX. Three big-ass bolts hold it on to the a-arm and then one nut holds it onto the upright.

While you may not need any special tools, I think the right size pickle fork wold help a lot. The joint can be fused to the upright pretty seriously and some leverage makes the job easier.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
The lower ball joint is pretty easy to replace on an SVX. Three big-ass bolts hold it on to the a-arm and then one nut holds it onto the upright.

While you may not need any special tools, I think the right size pickle fork wold help a lot. The joint can be fused to the upright pretty seriously and some leverage makes the job easier.
It is just about falling out right now, so I don't think it will be too bad. I just hope I get it before it becomes a problem. I will just give it a bit of 'encouragement' with a pry bar.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 05-04-2004, 01:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95

It is just about falling out right now, so I don't think it will be too bad. I just hope I get it before it becomes a problem. I will just give it a bit of 'encouragement' with a pry bar.
If it's actually loose in the upright (doubtful), then you're going to have problems because the new ball joint won't sit snugly in place. I think what's far more likely is that the ball joint itself is coming apart (so the looseness has nothing to do with how hard it will be to remove) and that you're going to have some difficulty getting it out of the upright.

Well, hey, try the pry bar. If that doesn't work, go get a fork.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-04-2004, 01:16 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
.... big-ass bolts....
:-))

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Everybody needs to BJ replacement once in awhile.
I like to dive into the groove with a wedge of some sort. A large screw as in driver works well and fit snugly into the slit of the lower knuckle. Of course the cross bolt has to be removed first and jack stands positioned under the frame are required. The lower control arm has to hang free. Just bang like heck on the wedge thing to spread the slit open and release the ball joint.

The lower control will be holding the joint up so you will need a bar and some muscle to push it down and get the BJ out.

I think the alignment will be close as ther is not much room for the joint to slide around in the bolt hole clearance but it always safer to get it checked.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Everybody needs to BJ replacement once in awhile.
I like to dive into the groove with a wedge of some sort. A large screw as in driver works well and fit snugly into the slit of the lower knuckle. Of course the cross bolt has to be removed first and jack stands positioned under the frame are required. The lower control arm has to hang free. Just bang like heck on the wedge thing to spread the slit open and release the ball joint.

The lower control will be holding the joint up so you will need a bar and some muscle to push it down and get the BJ out.

I think the alignment will be close as ther is not much room for the joint to slide around in the bolt hole clearance but it always safer to get it checked.
Well I need a BJ right now!!!
This sounds like it will be a fun project. Anything requiring a person to 'bang like heck' has got to be fun.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
Old 05-06-2004, 04:30 AM
The Molinator

BJ!

I just did my front ball joints (I decided to throw them in) when I did my front (Motorsportwarehouse.com) Drop Springs and Koni Inserts. THEY DO NOT DISTURB THE ALIGNMENT! I REPEAT! Yada Yada Yada! I had heard that they did, but the position of the BJ on either end (3 bolts or 1 retainer bolt) is NOT ADJUSTABLE! So don't worry. [On top of that, I replaced springs, shocks (inserts) AND BJ's, yet my front camber needed no adjustment when checked!]

You need to support (block of wood/hydraulic jack) the upright at a certain up/down position for untightening and removal/insertion of the three bolts. [The outer two bolt nuts (on top) will hit the upright (can't remove) while the strut is fully extended >> needs to be jacked up to undo those outer two bolts. When assembling, place all three bolts in position while strut is extended. Then tighten only inner (toward center of car) bolt/nut. Jack up strut until you can get outer two nuts onto their respective bolts (on top). This probably sounds confusing, but when you get at it, you'll see what I mean right away.] I estimate the time for the BJ swap to be 1 to 1 1/2 hours for both.

HAVE FUN!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Thanks for the advice Jim. I am going to be attacking this project after work tonight. Good to know an alignment isn't needed.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo