Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-13-2004, 06:27 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

When a customer approaches you and tries to assert that he knows more that you do about the product YOU REPRESENT, that's a situation that would anger anyone. Even you, my friend. Nothing pissed me off more than that when I worked at Circuit City and the car dealers. My thought was, if you know more than I do about the car i'm selling, how come I work here and you don't? Or better yet, why are you even talking to me because i'm obviously of no use to such a genius.

My point is I would have reacted the exact same way if you treated me like you treated that man. If you knew so much about it, why not just fix it yourself?

I bet you have problems with alot of customer service departments, don't you?

Next time, just try playing the regular Joe when you are trying to get help. I guarantee you'll have a better time.
Lets not start a fight here... It is good to hear eachother's experiences with certian cellphone companies... Now here is a little peice of information that a few of you don't know:

By the date 01/2006 all cell phones operating in the US have to be GPS capeable... I didn't believe it either till the Nextel lady showed me in writing the "order" (don't know what it would be called in the civilian world) that had been sent to her by some government office... Currently only Nextel phones are GPS capable... Why are the other phone manufacturers not doing anything about it yet??? No clue, but they have just under 2 years to completly eliminate all the phones that are not GPS ready in the US... That's a big feat to be sitting around and not doing anything about... So with the exception of the cool new chick noone here has Nextel?? In the south anyways?? Well I know I'm gonna go with them, simply because they have the best coverage in this area and because of the GPS phones... And I can hook the phone up to my lap top, activate the GPS function and see myself on a map just like one of those really expensive In-car GPS Systems... Cool!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-13-2004, 11:02 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

Lets not start a fight here... It is good to hear eachother's experiences with certian cellphone companies... Now here is a little peice of information that a few of you don't know:

By the date 01/2006 all cell phones operating in the US have to be GPS capeable... I didn't believe it either till the Nextel lady showed me in writing the "order" (don't know what it would be called in the civilian world) that had been sent to her by some government office... Currently only Nextel phones are GPS capable... Why are the other phone manufacturers not doing anything about it yet??? No clue, but they have just under 2 years to completly eliminate all the phones that are not GPS ready in the US... That's a big feat to be sitting around and not doing anything about... So with the exception of the cool new chick noone here has Nextel?? In the south anyways?? Well I know I'm gonna go with them, simply because they have the best coverage in this area and because of the GPS phones... And I can hook the phone up to my lap top, activate the GPS function and see myself on a map just like one of those really expensive In-car GPS Systems... Cool!!

ALL the new Motorola phones are GPS capable. So are the new Nokia phones and ericsson phones. IT's the matter of getting into the right menu. IMO, it' too much big brother for me. You don't even need to call 911 for agps to work. On the nokia phones if you know how to get to net monitor, you can get the following menus.

Group 75: GPS & Location Data
So far, I have only seen this area full of X's. Can anyone confirm that it works under certain conditions or why it would be masked as such?
75-01 ... LATITUDE / LONGITUDE / STATUS / METHOD
75-03 ... Orientation / Semiminor (meters) / Semimajor (meters) / Vertical (meters)
75-04 ... Time / Type / MS Date / MS Time / STATUS
75-05 ... Speed (meters per second) / Heading (degrees) / Altitude (meters) / Fix Type
75-19 ... LS Release ID / LS Release Date
75-30 ... GPS MCU Version / MCU SW Date / GPS DSP Version / DSP SW Date
75-31 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-32 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-33 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-34 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-35 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-36 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-37 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-38 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-39 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-40 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-41 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-42 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-70 ... AFLT MCU Ver / MCU SW Date / AFLT DSP Ver / DSP SW Date
75-71 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-72 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-73 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-74 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-75 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-76 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-77 ... AFLT: PRQ(s) / NUM.FIX / TBF; GPS: PRQ(s) / NUM.FIX / TBF
75-78 ... PPhase count / Measure times / PRange count / Measure times
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Group 75: GPS & Location Data
So far, I have only seen this area full of X's. Can anyone confirm that it works under certain conditions or why it would be masked as such?
75-01 ... LATITUDE / LONGITUDE / STATUS / METHOD
75-03 ... Orientation / Semiminor (meters) / Semimajor (meters) / Vertical (meters)
75-04 ... Time / Type / MS Date / MS Time / STATUS
75-05 ... Speed (meters per second) / Heading (degrees) / Altitude (meters) / Fix Type
75-19 ... LS Release ID / LS Release Date
75-30 ... GPS MCU Version / MCU SW Date / GPS DSP Version / DSP SW Date
75-31 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-32 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-33 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-34 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-35 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-36 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-37 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-38 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-39 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-40 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-41 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-42 ... SV(PRN) / C/No (Decibels.Hertz) / Pseudorange / Doppler (Hertz)
75-70 ... AFLT MCU Ver / MCU SW Date / AFLT DSP Ver / DSP SW Date
75-71 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-72 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-73 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-74 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-75 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-76 ... PN / Channel / Phase (Chips) / Ec/Io (Decibels) / RMS (meters)
75-77 ... AFLT: PRQ(s) / NUM.FIX / TBF; GPS: PRQ(s) / NUM.FIX / TBF
75-78 ... PPhase count / Measure times / PRange count / Measure times
Hey Lwin, could you pretend for a moment that the rest of us don't read Electronics Geek Magizine... J/K

But what does all that mean???

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 01-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Sorry if that came across as anger. It wasn't meant that way at all. I was just saying that if I was that Sprint guy and Lwin approached me like that, he'd be getting more than just choice words in return. You have to remember that customer service reps are humans too, just like us. How inclined are you going to be to help someone with a problem when they just spent the past 15 minutes insulting your intelligence? Not very.

Quote:
Hey Lwin, could you pretend for a moment that the rest of us don't read Electronics Geek Magizine...
I second that. In english please, sir.

Last edited by Shadow248; 01-13-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
When a customer approaches you and tries to assert that he knows more that you do about the product YOU REPRESENT, that's a situation that would anger anyone. Even you, my friend. Nothing pissed me off more than that when I worked at Circuit City and the car dealers. My thought was, if you know more than I do about the car i'm selling, how come I work here and you don't? Or better yet, why are you even talking to me because i'm obviously of no use to such a genius.

My point is I would have reacted the exact same way if you treated me like you treated that man. If you knew so much about it, why not just fix it yourself?

I bet you have problems with alot of customer service departments, don't you?

Next time, just try playing the regular Joe when you are trying to get help. I guarantee you'll have a better time.

Have you been around any computer store when a sales person who is working on comission is BSing his A$$ off to sell a school teacher 400 dollar printer when the man can print as well on a 30 buck printer? I have also seen many incidents where a car dealer try to BS his way to sell a POS car.

I did not treated him in any threating way. I made sure he can technically understand what I was going to tell him so that we are on the same page and marely pointed out that his company was voilating federal law and that I was going to report it. I don't have to tell him anything at all and reported the incident. He should be thanking me for giving him a heads up. If I had access to their system/cell towers, I could fix it. Can I have access to their system? No.

I had great help from every single phone company's customer service I had so far. I've managed to get more minutes with Tmobile, bumped on higher priority call list with Cingular and such. With nextel, I was on the test group and PTT was free for peer to peer as well as peer to group but that's work related (mot makes iden phones/towers and in turn, we get those free if you are a MOT employee for Iden group).
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 01-13-2004, 11:24 AM

Hey Lwin, ya work for Motorolla?? Can ya get me a i58sr??? That's the phone that I want, but it's $149...

Old 01-13-2004, 11:37 AM

I worked for motorola but I can get most prototypes phone since my buddy (the usher story again) works at the design center. Do you know they had a pen phone since 2000? Yeah a phone with a pen on the other side about 6 inches long and such. You put the earpiece on the top and it has voice recognition dialing.

Anyways Nokia codes are as follows: If you can get to the net monitor (if I recall you have to hold down * for around 3 seconds), section 7 is the location sub menu. subsection 1 of section 7 is the GPS info it's on all the time. GPS chip itself is about the size of your fingernail (1x1 cm ish). Hit 0000 to exit.

GPS location is on all the time and anyone can access it if they have the right tool to locate where your phone is at any given time. The location information is sent back to the towers in data packets and your long and lat is shown. With that info, we can assume that you are the one next to your cell and police can come and get you and such.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:47 AM

I'll have to try that on my friend's Nokia tonight...

But anyway back to the thing that you can still get phones...

So can ya really still get phones?? If ya can, do ya think ya'd beable to hook me up with a Motorola IDEN phone???

Old 01-13-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I'll have to try that on my friend's Nokia tonight...

But anyway back to the thing that you can still get phones...

So can ya really still get phones?? If ya can, do ya think ya'd beable to hook me up with a Motorola IDEN phone???

I can still get phone. Mostly CDMA PCS and GSM. Idens are harder to come by since they are not made at the same place. Idens are walkietalkies with cell phones attached rather then the other way round. I'll see what I can do. NO promises though.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:53 PM

Awesome man!!! Sweet... I am looking to get a plan within a week... the phone I really want is the Motorola i58sr in YELLOW... there is a yellow and black one but I think that the yellow one is really awesome since I work in SAFETY here at the Air Station and am around lots of explosives and construction stuff.... If ya can get it I'd gladly slip ya something as a thanks... If ya can let me know by thursday that would be great!!! Thanks again man!!!

Old 01-13-2004, 04:21 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
the phone I really want is the Motorola i58sr in YELLOW... there is a yellow and black one but I think that the yellow one is really awesome since I work in SAFETY here at the Air Station and am around lots of explosives and construction stuff!
shelfy has the yellow i58sr!

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Have you been around any computer store when a sales person who is working on comission is BSing his A$$ off to sell a school teacher 400 dollar printer when the man can print as well on a 30 buck printer?
The real tragic part of that situation is that IF that salesperson sold the $30 printer when he could have sold the $400 printer, he would have been fired. The commission sales field is as cutthroat as it gets. It's kill or be killed. That's why I got out.
The BSers are the ones getting the bonuses and bosses' congratulations, and the ones who tell the honest truth get canned because they aren't selling enough. Hate it all you want, but it's never going to change.

Quote:
I have also seen many incidents where a car dealer try to BS his way to sell a POS car.
Of course, how else do you suppose all these Fords found their way to the road?

Quote:
originally posted by Seraph
merely pointed out that his company was voilating federal law and that I was going to report it...If I had access to their system/cell towers, I could fix it. Can I have access to their system? No.
Then let them do what they are paid to do. You work for Motorola, not Sprint, so let them do their thing and you do yours. Sprint continues to operate one of the largest networks in the US. Sounds to me like they know enough about what they are doing. Wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
I had great help from every single phone company's customer service I had so far. I've managed to get more minutes with Tmobile, bumped on higher priority call list with Cingular and such. With nextel, I was on the test group and PTT was free for peer to peer as well as peer to group but that's work related (mot makes iden phones/towers and in turn, we get those free if you are a MOT employee for Iden group).
Man you really need a hobby or something. This is just not healthy. Ever try skiing? It's fun!

Last edited by Shadow248; 01-13-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shelfy
shelfy has the yellow i58sr!
Ya like it Shelfy???

Old 01-14-2004, 10:48 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:
Ya like it Shelfy???
i do! i used to have an i1000 plus and after a couple of months, the flip part broke off. got it fixed, then it started shutting itself off. one night while drinking, i had enough and smashed into hundreds of pieces. i got to pick my next phone and saved my company money by not going with the standard i90c. i just wish it was a flip phone so it'd be easier to drive with it between my neck and shoulder.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 01-14-2004, 11:13 AM

Cool, is it really rugged and tough?? That's the type of phone that I need... Something that's tough... I just don't like flip phones... The last 3 that I've had have been flip phones from Samsung and all of them have been too small for me to really grab, ya know??? I hate small phones!!! When I'm talking on the phone I want to know that I have a phone in my hand and not a little toy or something... All of the nextel phones seem to have some "body and weight" to them... I think I'll like that...

Last edited by GreenMarine; 01-14-2004 at 11:17 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: