How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-06-2001, 06:23 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Well ever since i got my new exhuast installed ive been having problems with a loud rattle rising at around 2,700 and 3,000 rpm due to my heat shield rattling. Well i figured i would just have to tighten it down. Well turns out the the muffler is NOT touching the heat shield at all. Arghh.....This is the good slash bad part about my problem. The Flowmaster produces such a deep loud note that as soon as i hit a certain range, it cuases teh heat shield to resonate and rattle. I would really like to just remove it, as im not sure how big of arole it plays. IF its an important safety feature i will have to get around it, but removing it would be teh easiest way. Ive been told that my muffler will not last as long, but im not too worrried about that. Me and my friends 69 plymouth valient 318 has the same pipes as came with the car. So if anyone knows if it is a safety feature directly related to covering the gas tank(?) from the exhuast or somthing of the such please inform me. its really starting to annoying me. Oh yeah, after ive driven around for a while, and sometimes just out of the blue, it does not rattle.....
Old 03-07-2001, 02:04 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
fixing rattling

Try adding some heat resistant insulation around around certain areas so that the heat shield will be snugly held onto the pipe when screwed back in. Mine was also rattling, but after unscrewing it and positioning the insulation strategically, i was able to stop the rattling. Its been 2-3 weeks now.
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 03-15-2001, 04:18 PM
cozykat

Lightbulb Heat Shield = No Grass Fire

Hi PhastSVX,

The heat shields are there just so if you park on grass you won't start a grass fire. If you removed them and one day find yourself parking on a Park's grassy area or somewhere, you could potentially start a fire since it gets rather hot down under.
If your car starts a fire, then just as though you had taken a torch to the grass yourself, you would be held liable and have to pay for the damages. (Could you imagine the cost! )
So if you don't see your car parked on any grass in the future, you can rip those puppies off. That's what a few members have done.
One nice thing about them being off, if you live where it snows, you will clear out any snow where ever you park!

Drive safely!