Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2001, 08:14 AM
iced_out_svx

Question Wr/svx

I want to put in an Impreza WRX in the SVX because you can get more aftermarket parts for it, there would be more room, and less weight. I know you would lose 9hp but all you have to do is put on a K&N airfilter and you are almost back to normal. I want to know if it is possible and if it mattered if the WRX engine came from a standard or automatic car. All I think that would need to be done is re-do motor mounts, add a wiring harness (or create one), and make sure it will bolt up. Anybody have any advice?

Ice
Old 06-25-2001, 08:33 AM
lightning_8669

Ahh yes, gone are the days when an engine was an engine and a transmission was a transmission. The engine on an SVX (and likely a WRX) and the transmission are interlaced neurolgically. I am not versed on the number and complexity of "handshakes" that need to occurr between the two components for them to work as a team. I'm sure a clever enough individual could figure it out but the time and money involved hardly seem worth any benefit gleaned.

This is just my opinion. Also, the SVX and WRX are "balanced", engineering speaking, for their respecitve drive trains. Why mess with nature?
Old 06-25-2001, 08:54 AM
Headed to Texas...

Thumbs down Two different beasts . . .

I'm no techie (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night . . . ) but I don't think the WRX drivetrain would be a good match for the SVX. Reason being, the 2.0 WRX turbo doesn't make a whole lot of power until the turbo is spooled up. Given that the SVX is probably a good bit heavier than the Impreza, it seems like it would be an absolute dog unless you kept the RPMs up to where the turbo was doing it's thing. Actually, that comment has been made about the WRX itself!
So where would the advantage be? Add to that the actual process of doing the swap, and . . . doesn't seem worth it to me.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 06-25-2001, 11:10 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669
This is just my opinion.
NO! Really, you'd share you opinion with us? I can't really believe you guys are biting on this thread! Unless this guy has unlimited funds, and a bunch of time, why would he ask such a toopid question? Sure it's nice to dream...and I did, and then I bought the perfect car...the SVX. Now if I only got to drive it more often, sigh...

I'll never do anything to my SVX other than maintain it. Perfection is hard to find in this world, but the SVX comes damn close to it as designed. You could put a manual tranny in it very easily, the only problem I could think of would be the pedal assy, none were made with the clutch link. If you want a detailed instruction list of what you have to modify, you must first see my secretary Helen Waite.
Old 06-25-2001, 11:23 AM
lightning_8669

you'd share you opinion with us?

Uh ohh, I've been busted I've been trying to drive the market price for "opinions" up from an all time low of $.05 a dozen. I'd like to see them trading at June 2000 levels of $.07 a dozen. I'm a realist and realize that they will likely never see the dime a dozen levels of the mid 1970's
Old 06-25-2001, 11:53 AM
KEVINL

The 2.0 will not move the SVX yes the engines Hp and TQ ratings are similar but you wouldn't put A 3sgte (mR2 Turbo engine) in place of the 2jZGTE In a Supra. Toyota didnt do something like that for a reason You can have all the horsepower and torque you want but it takes raw displacement to move weight. If you ask me the 2.0 in the wrx has a lot of car to move with very little displacement. Try putting 6 80 lbs sandbags in the trunk. drive a wrx and youll realize why the SVX has a EG33 not A EJ20
Old 06-25-2001, 12:00 PM
lightning_8669

6 80 lbs sandbags in the trunk

Might be closer to 10 or 12.
Old 06-25-2001, 12:10 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
I'll never do anything to my SVX other than maintain it. Perfection is hard to find in this world, but the SVX comes damn close to it as designed. You could put a manual tranny in it very easily, the only problem I could think of would be the pedal assy, none were made with the clutch link. If you want a detailed instruction list of what you have to modify, you must first see my secretary Helen Waite.
There you go again, eddy. Saying something that I have to agree with. Dang! The SVX is perfection personified when speaking of Sport/Luxury. It's like the old certs commercials: "Two, two, two cars in one" with the added bonus of AWD.

Now, as for your letter of admittance that the SVX has passive 4WS . . . oh, never mind. I'll just go to Helen Waite for it.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-25-2001, 12:25 PM
lightning_8669

SVX has passive 4WS

And Eddycat2000 responds in his best Ricardo Montalbahn accent; "from the gates of Hell I grapple with thee" (from the "Wrath of Kahn" Star Trek movie)
Old 06-25-2001, 07:51 PM
iced_out_svx

Well thank you for your opinions. I appreciate it. I guess I won't be doing that mod now. I knew that the WRX engine, initially couldn't move the SVX but I figured if I changed the gears it would be okay. Oh well.

Ice
Old 06-26-2001, 06:47 AM
lightning_8669

Oh well

Don't get discouraged, unusual ideas are always fun to entertain (well, for most of us they are). Besides, some of the best ideas I've ever had began waaaayyy out in left field. There's always education in disqualified ideas and most ideas are eventually disqualified. Also, discussion is cheap compared to cutting metal and bolting power trains together However, there are some ideas that apparently should have been discussed. We had a link to a car on E-bay a while back. It was for a Toyota MR2. The only thing about the MR2 was that the engine was taken out and 3 gas turbines were installed in its place. A *lot* of plumbing to do the install. Interesting but what the hell would you do with it? They probably should have talked to someone who wasn't drinking before they started the project.
Old 07-01-2001, 10:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
One of my best friends has a WRX and although they are quick, they are not a torquey car......nothing really down low until the turbo is on power.

As for the driving experince, flat to floor:
WRX:
Dump clutch, bang....second....nothing.....boost.....third...bo ost...(dying)...forth....commendable acceleration...fifth....snooze

SVX:
nothing.........acceleration.......and on....and on

A while back I managed to play with a WRX when I was in an SVX.....gimme the SVX anyday!!!

But, if you have unlimitedfunds, drop the twin turbo out of the Legacy in there instead. Considering that a few people here in Oz have torn out WRX engines to put in Legacy engines, you can see the thought process!

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!