How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-03-2002, 12:23 PM
clarkerussell

Serpentine Belt replacement

Is there anything special about the two Serpentine Belts on the SVX? Now that it's cold outside, my belts are squealing like mad. I looked at them and they need to be changed ASAP. I had planned on getting the 60K mile service done, but it'll be a while before I can get to it.

Is this something that my local mechanic (or myself) can change out, or does it require a special tension tool? Also, should I use genuine Subaru parts, or would Dayco belts be OK? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:53 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: Serpentine Belt replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by clarkerussell
Is there anything special about the two Serpentine Belts on the SVX? Now that it's cold outside, my belts are squealing like mad. I looked at them and they need to be changed ASAP. I had planned on getting the 60K mile service done, but it'll be a while before I can get to it.

Is this something that my local mechanic (or myself) can change out, or does it require a special tension tool? Also, should I use genuine Subaru parts, or would Dayco belts be OK? Thanks.
I have Dayco belts on my car. They are pretty easy to change. The Alternator belt tensioner is located on an idler pulley just below and to the passenger side of the alternator. Loosen the pulley center nut (12mm) and then loosen the long almost vertical bolt and the belt will loosen.

The AC belt I can't quite remember. I believe you have to hold the tensioner with a wrench while you tighten the set bolt with your other hand.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-03-2002, 03:30 PM
clarkerussell

Repair Manual info?

Can someone post a scan of the service repair pages for the serp. Belts? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 12-09-2002, 11:15 AM
clarkerussell

Belt Tension...

OK, I bought my two belts, but I need to have them installed. I'm fairly proficient in mechanical parts, but I've never worked on an SVX. Is there a specific tension I need on the belts? If so, what is the procedure for adjusting it? Lastly, is this something I should just take to Jiffy Lube? They normally charge $39.95 for the belt service, including the belt itself. Thanks.

Clarke
Old 12-09-2002, 12:47 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I can't scan as I have my service manual loaned out right now.

As for tension, Its kind of a feel for me. There are tools ranging from spring scales to sonic tension sensors available from Snap On, Mac, Matco, Goodyear, Gates, etc.

For the SVX belts, I see how far I can deflect the belt when pushing on it. I try to do about 1/2 inch deflection.

Better to go too loose than too tight, you can always tighten them up if they squeal. If they are too tight you can damage the bearings.

Hope this helps.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker