How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 PM

Registered SVX
5mt swap questions

As my name implies, I'm new to Subaru and the svx. I picked up a 1992 black svx with a hurt transmission and decided it is missing a pedal. My donor car is a 99 legacy 2.2na I have pulled the 5mt, the pedal assembly, flywheel, and rear diff. Currently I have removed the engine from the svx to clean it up and make things a bit easier. Here is my question, after a ton of research I know I need to a. Lengthen the drive shaft, how do I know if I have the component drive shaft? The on in the car has a carrier bearing and two u joints. b. from what I have read it is easier to convert the donor diff to limited slip? Pardon my ignorance, I'm used to front drivers.
Here are some pictures
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
http://youtu.be/bGHxWrSwaQ0">http://youtu.be/bGHxWrSwaQ0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Old 04-20-2014, 09:40 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 5mt swap questions

That looks to be a 2-piece driveshaft. I believe there is a certain body style of auto(?) outbacks that you can get the front section from and bolt to the rear section of the svx driveshaft to get the +2" you will need. Try searching the forum to find which year/trans outback. EBay probably will have some for cheap or local sources would be the best bet.

The less convenient alternative would be to have a driveshaft shop lengthen your 2-piece driveshaft 2". (Side-note: "1-piece" driveshafts, which have a C/V center joint can't be lengthened this way.)

You will need a shop to weld +2" onto the shifter linkages. You will also need a shop to weld up a trans mount. You essential need to add two metal rods to connect the stock auto trans mount to the stock "torque bar" which sits under the front of the trans and bolts to the subframe near the rear joints of the control arms. Then you weld a piece to the metal rods between those two pieces to make a place for the manual trans rubber mount to attach and rest on. I think there may be a little trimming of the auto trans mount part as well, can't recall. I am out of town ATM, but on Tues I can get a pic of such a mount already made for you to model yours after. Feel free to PM me if I forget. I have been meaning to post one of those for a while since its a very common question people have.

Swapping the diff I can't help you with, haven't done it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 PM

Registered SVX

Wire brush and paint the driveshaft while it's out, btw. And anything else rusty like that. With some good anti rust paint. Especially since you're up north.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

The less convenient alternative would be to have a driveshaft shop lengthen your 2-piece driveshaft 2". (Side-note: "1-piece" driveshafts, which have a C/V center joint can't be lengthened this way.)
FYI, not completely true. I have a local drivetrain shop who is fully capable and able to do this. It's just far from cheap but includes all new joints including a sourced c/v style joint in the middle yet along with brand new u-joints on the ends.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:24 PM

Registered SVX

Good to know. Can all driveshaft shops do it for an upcharge or just some? Doesn't PA have a lot more/better machine shops than most places?

Since you're here, what year outback or whatever driveshaft does this guy need to look for? That's probably the most economical route, I'm guessing.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Good to know. Can all driveshaft shops do it for an upcharge or just some? Doesn't PA have a lot more/better machine shops than most places?

Since you're here, what year outback or whatever driveshaft does this guy need to look for? That's probably the most economical route, I'm guessing.
Yeah, This area and PA in general has a very heavy machining background/history.
and it's 2nd gen m/t legacy wagon or outback. they're interchangeable. 95-99
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM

Registered SVX

Wow awesome information on the legacy driveshaft trick. THANK YOU! I figured there may be a solution like this... thanks for the reponses.
I will be wire brushing rust proofing as much as I can. ;-)
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-21-2014, 09:10 PM

Registered SVX

There is some slight trimming required, but it does work. IMO not the greatest solution but definitely perfect for those on a budget.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:23 PM

Registered SVX

I will definitely be looking into 2nd gen outback legacy driveshafts, however is there a definitive guide to Subaru drive shaft lengths online? It seems like this is.something that would be extremely helpful to anyone performing a swap from auto to manual.
I have searched and can not find anything but questions….
I found these part numbers for the outback 2.2,2.5 5mt
27031AC060 ; 27031AC280 http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__/4...11-199-01.html

These are automatic part numbers for 96-99 SUS and outback with 2.5
27031AC070 ; 27031AC290

Subaru Legacy 2.2L MT 2WD BASE SEDAN 1995
Subaru Legacy 2.2L MT 2WD BASE WAGON 1995
Subaru Legacy 2.2L MT 2WD L SEDAN 1995, 1996
Subaru Legacy 2.2L MT 2WD L WAGON 1995, 1996
Subaru Legacy 2.2L MT 4WD BRIGHTON WAGON 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
Subaru Legacy 2.2L MT 4WD L SEDAN 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
Subaru Legacy 2.2L MT 4WD L WAGON 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
Subaru Legacy 2.2L MT 4WD OUTBACK TOURING WAGON 1995
Subaru Legacy 2.5L MT 4WD GT SEDAN 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
Subaru Legacy 2.5L MT 4WD GT WAGON 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
Subaru Legacy 2.5L MT 4WD OUTBACK TOURING WAGON 1999
these all use part numbers 27031AC130 ; 27031AC000; 27031AC080

Last edited by SVXnoob; 04-23-2014 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Part Numbers
Old 04-24-2014, 01:07 PM

Registered SVX

95-99 m/t legacy/outback shafts work with minor trimming. This has been proven.

Also, you're not going to find a driveshaft length chart as for any other Subaru, if you want an auto to manual conversion, you use a manual shaft from the same car. If you want to go 5 spd to 6 spd, you use an auto shaft from the same car as the 6 spd trans is the same length as an auto.

So to sum up, I'm not sure why part numbers were posted as I sure as hell won't pay what subaru wants for a new driveshaft when I can go snag them all day for about $40 a piece.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
95-99 m/t legacy/outback shafts work with minor trimming. This has been proven.

Also, you're not going to find a driveshaft length chart as for any other Subaru, if you want an auto to manual conversion, you use a manual shaft from the same car. If you want to go 5 spd to 6 spd, you use an auto shaft from the same car as the 6 spd trans is the same length as an auto.

So to sum up, I'm not sure why part numbers were posted as I sure as hell won't pay what subaru wants for a new driveshaft when I can go snag them all day for about $40 a piece.
Noted*
I posted part numbers for reference only I was doing research so i posted up my findings. I definitely will not pay what they want new either, I just thought someone else might find the info useful at some point.

For clarity, the trimming you speak of, is this done to the driveshaft? Are you shortening its overall length? Or Modifying the carrier bearing mount position? or both.. I found a guy selling a front portion of the 99 legacy wagon drive shaft but it measured 29" end to end whereas the auto is 28''ish. Do i need the entire shaft? It mould seem that the front half would be the longer half since the difference from auto to manual is two inches up front.
Hope I'm not being a pain in the ass and if there is a great build thread that addresses the issues involved with this process please link it.

Last edited by SVXnoob; 04-27-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: forgot a ?
Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 PM

Registered SVX

Ok so I modified the stock svx cross member by cutting an opening and then drilling new mount holes im happy with how it turned out.
[IMG][/IMG]

One more
[IMG][/IMG]

And I picked up a 95ish manual drive shaft out of a legacy 2.5
The original driveshaft measures 61.5" overall. The new one is 64.25"
[IMG][/IMG]
Theris a difference in both front and rear portions but its about a quarter of an inch at the rear portion.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-10-2014, 02:37 AM

Registered SVX

oh man progress has been slower than I would like bit between work and school and house there are not enough hours in the day. Peddle rack is mounted, not in love with it but I can make it work. And shifter hole is filled and linkage extended(what a pita). I scored a xt shift handle woot woot gonna rock that for a bit.
[IMG][/IMG]

Filling holes
[IMG][/IMG]

Dat shift knob
[IMG][/IMG]