Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM

Re: Should I go with Safelite?

Maybe modern windshield construction has changed, but when I rolled-over my ex-wife's '88 Suby, the only real injury I sustained was cuts to my bare knees as I crawled out, from all the bits of shattered inner layer of windshield that littered the headliner. None of the other glass broke (driver's side window was rolled down); not even the aftermarket pop-up sunroof. The driver's side A-pillar gave under the weight, but I joked with the wrecker driver that once the car was righted I could have kicked-out the remnants of the windshield and driven the thing home... leaning way to the right.

I think a windshield-replacement rider to an auto insurance policy is probably a very smart buy for these cars.

dcb
Old 11-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Fairmont State University
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

So I went with Guardian Auto Glass here in Clarksburg, WV. Dropped the car off yesterday morning for the installer to look at it to see if he could reuse the moulding because they said the new windshield did not come with it (chinese one). Got a call later in the day that it was impossible but they had located a factory bronzed windshield with the titanium oxide coating and my insurance would cover it since it is the only thing available that actually works. So by the end of the week I should have a new proper windshield and will be back on the road.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I think a windshield-replacement rider to an auto insurance policy is probably a very smart buy for these cars.

dcb
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to my insurance today to pay my premium and I'm gonna upgrade my coverage to cover all my glass.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarwhiz View Post
So I went with Guardian Auto Glass here in Clarksburg, WV. Dropped the car off yesterday morning for the installer to look at it to see if he could reuse the moulding because they said the new windshield did not come with it (chinese one). Got a call later in the day that it was impossible but they had located a factory bronzed windshield with the titanium oxide coating and my insurance would cover it since it is the only thing available that actually works. So by the end of the week I should have a new proper windshield and will be back on the road.
It is possible to reuse the moulding, but they won't want to take the time and effort. You have to pull them differently than most other windshields in order to save it which they don't like. Plus it's something way out of their comfort zone so they will always say no.

Glad to hear they were able to get a new bronze one. If it is in fact bronze. Since all part numbers have superceded to the green windshields from Subaru.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Fairmont State University
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Glad to hear they were able to get a new bronze one. If it is in fact bronze. Since all part numbers have superceded to the green windshields from Subaru.
Good call, Nate. Found out that it is in fact a green one and that's all there is. I'll have to go with it since it is my only option and they've already got it in. Well, at least it will be back on the road tomorrow and I can see how many other thing will go wrong since it been sitting for a while.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I was always under the impression that the top models (LS-L and LSi) had the titanium coating on the windshield, and the lesser models didn't.

When I had 2 different windshields installed in both my son's and my pearlies, the glass shop used the VIN to obtain the correct replacement.

nope i have a '92 LS and my ipass here in Illinois doesn't work! have to hold it out the window

1992 dark teal SVX LS