How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 PM

Registered SVX
Engine options for SVX?

I am searching for the best engine options to do a swap in my SVX.
I know the best would be to keep my EG33 engine and fix it, but could'nt find the parts to fix it (crankshaft, a head-corroded due to storage underwater -, gaskets, etc), so i am going to sell the working bits of my engine and use that money to acquire another motor.
I was thinking in a EZ36 or EZ30, or maybe a four cilinder. I had this car for 3 years now and i was'nt able to fix it yet, so i am starting to think in non standard options, and to weight the easiest ones. I wonder if my current ECU and stuff could make a EZ30 or 36 engine work . I want to see it on the road!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Engine options for SVX?

no, no and no.... any other swap will require a full harness and ecu swap. and will thusly require a mt swap unless using a capable standalone suchas the hydra. getting another eg33 will prove to be me cheaper and less involved than any other option.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

The simple answer is no. To do an ez* swap, youd need the engine, harness, and ecu for the donar motor. Then you get into all the immobilizer, and drive by wire stuff. The 2000-2002 ez30 is the best bet for an ez swap. Been done on an xt6. If you arent up to a harness swap, your best bet is a replacement engine.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Registered SVX

The wiring thing should be no prob, just more time and a lot of work. What about 4 cylinders? Easyer to get, the only problem being the low torque compared to the original engine. Maybe turboed 4 cyl can get close to those values, but still more inclined to a 6 n/a. Last question, how much should i spend in a cheap (and i mean CHEAP) wonking EG33, taking on count that the cost is, the engine + alot of money for shipping to south america.
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
The simple answer is no. To do an ez* swap, youd need the engine, harness, and ecu for the donar motor. Then you get into all the immobilizer, and drive by wire stuff. The 2000-2002 ez30 is the best bet for an ez swap. Been done on an xt6. If you arent up to a harness swap, your best bet is a replacement engine.
It still won't work unless you either also do a Phase 2 trans swap with all associated wiring from said car or you do an MT swap. Only exception to getting it to work with the phase 1 trans is possibly with a standalone ECU.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx View Post
The wiring thing should be no prob, just more time and a lot of work. What about 4 cylinders? Easyer to get, the only problem being the low torque compared to the original engine. Maybe turboed 4 cyl can get close to those values, but still more inclined to a 6 n/a. Last question, how much should i spend in a cheap (and i mean CHEAP) wonking EG33, taking on count that the cost is, the engine + alot of money for shipping to south america.
I'd think you can find an EG33 for around $600 or so from the states without much issue. Shipping via container would run about $400 I'd imagine, possibly even less.

When I posted the original post, I was on my phone and did not realize you are in South America. If other Subarus are more common down there, it may be better to try and put in a different engine since replacement seals, gaskets and other parts may be more readily available.

What is wrong with your current engine?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I'd think you can find an EG33 for around $600 or so from the states without much issue. Shipping via container would run about $400 I'd imagine, possibly even less.

When I posted the original post, I was on my phone and did not realize you are in South America. If other Subarus are more common down there, it may be better to try and put in a different engine since replacement seals, gaskets and other parts may be more readily available.

What is wrong with your current engine?
My engine needs a new crankshaft, bearings, gaskets, probably a new rh head (or at least a head refurbishment) a new con rod, rings, maybe more things that i dont remember right now. If it was just the gaskets, or crankshaft, whatever can be obtained from the states, but all those things, make it unviable to try to fix it, and since there's someone interested in buying my parts for spares (he has a EG33 powered dragster) i can save that money to bring a working powerplant to my car. 600 or so for a engine is pretty fair to me, i just have to locate one and find out how much will cost to bring it here. I used to bring parts from USA and the shipping cost was Usd 17/kg 2 years ago.
I wonder how heavy the EG33 is.
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 AM

Have you ever done a full swap? I have and it's not something I'm anxious to do again. It is a lot of work.

I've got a crank, head and connecting rods that I'm willing to sell. You can pick up a gasket kit for about $250, bearings for $80, and rings for $100. It would be cheaper in the long run to rebuild or replace your EG33 than it would be too swap in an EZ.

Just my .02.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxSvx View Post
My engine needs a new crankshaft, bearings, gaskets, probably a new rh head (or at least a head refurbishment) a new con rod, rings, maybe more things that i dont remember right now. If it was just the gaskets, or crankshaft, whatever can be obtained from the states, but all those things, make it unviable to try to fix it, and since there's someone interested in buying my parts for spares (he has a EG33 powered dragster) i can save that money to bring a working powerplant to my car. 600 or so for a engine is pretty fair to me, i just have to locate one and find out how much will cost to bring it here. I used to bring parts from USA and the shipping cost was Usd 17/kg 2 years ago.
I wonder how heavy the EG33 is.
An EG33 stripped down to just a longblock-no accessories, intake manifold, etc is only around 250 lbs I think. I'm just estimating this on the fact I can lift and move it around about just as easily as an auto transmission which weighs that much. in full trim, it's around 400-450 lbs I believe.

I'll send you a PM later. We might be able to work something out.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLtd683 View Post
Have you ever done a full swap? I have and it's not something I'm anxious to do again. It is a lot of work.

I've got a crank, head and connecting rods that I'm willing to sell. You can pick up a gasket kit for about $250, bearings for $80, and rings for $100. It would be cheaper in the long run to rebuild or replace your EG33 than it would be too swap in an EZ.

Just my .02.
Yeah, i did some experiments in the past and is not fun stuff, you are right, i prefer to avoid that headache. I'll be better trying to find a working EG33.
Dont you have a complete engine for sale? The thing is that i am not happy with the idea of rebuilding an engine that was disassembled by someone else 5 years ago, i just have 6 boxes full of engine parts, some of them corroded by being in a humid place for months, neglected (theres even a bit of a head that is broken), even the A/c compressor is frozen and white of aluminium rust, the alternator and starter can be saved (hopefully) , i dont even know if i have all the bolts and stuff. The little details sometimes are more difficult to solve than the big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
An EG33 stripped down to just a longblock-no accessories, intake manifold, etc is only around 250 lbs I think. I'm just estimating this on the fact I can lift and move it around about just as easily as an auto transmission which weighs that much. in full trim, it's around 400-450 lbs I believe.

I'll send you a PM later. We might be able to work something out.
I would prefer a complete engine, even with coils and injectors, so is more plug-and-play.
If you have an extra engine laying around let me know. Thanks!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe