Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 01-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered fabricator

Re: Phase 2: Looking for 380 N/A whp.

It's been over a year since I last posted on this thread. As I said previously, the Phase 2 project is essentially stillborn.

My friend who I was doing this development work for had to close his business down this past year (thank you US economy!) and as a result this project got shut down for good....he can't afford to build his dream race car.

However, lately I've had an itch to work on this in my own spare time. Not that I have any spare time or any money, as things are slow for me as well. Regardless, I plan to start tinkering with a set of EG33 heads at some point for the R & D value at least. Larger valves will be involved and the porting work will be far more intensive than on Jack's own 352 whp EG-powered Impreza. I am hoping for some good numbers on the flowbench!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (171.0 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg 014.JPG (152.2 KB, 246 views)

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyBob View Post
It's been over a year since I last posted on this thread. As I said previously, the Phase 2 project is essentially stillborn.

My friend who I was doing this development work for had to close his business down this past year (thank you US economy!) and as a result this project got shut down for good....he can't afford to build his dream race car.

However, lately I've had an itch to work on this in my own spare time. Not that I have any spare time or any money, as things are slow for me as well. Regardless, I plan to start tinkering with a set of EG33 heads at some point for the R & D value at least. Larger valves will be involved and the porting work will be far more intensive than on Jack's own 352 whp EG-powered Impreza. I am hoping for some good numbers on the flowbench!
Bob,
Great news! Are you looking at lift numbers that will require the use of solid lifters? What rpm band are you looking for the heads to "sing" at?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Bob,
Great news! Are you looking at lift numbers that will require the use of solid lifters? What rpm band are you looking for the heads to "sing" at?
-Bill
Yes, looking at .525" - .550" of valve lift possibly. The heads still flow very well at higher lifts. Solid are absolutely necessary for correct valve spring heights and for lighter valvetrain weigh...those hydraulics are heavy!

Not trying to make a narrow powerband, but I hope to push the rpm limit to 9000 rpms or so. I have heard that after 9500 rpms the stock crank is problematic, but below that it's dead-reliable. Billet cranks are not cheap so I'd like to stay with the stock one.

I still want to mess with the hydraulic setups though. I have two other friends locally who are looking into swapping EG33's into their daily drivers...both Legacy wagons. Reground cams compatible with hydraulics are on the wish-list for both of them.

I need to R & D a drop-in spring set that will allow maximum valve lift with the standard length valves. There's so much additional airflow at higher valve lifts it would be a shame to not take advantage of at least some of it.

EG33 Impreza tweaks
Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Where did the EFI engine end up? Do you know what they used for an engine computer?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Where did the EFI engine end up? Do you know what they used for an engine computer?
Jack never sold the engine or car. It's put away in storage. A few tire kickers, but ultimately nobody came up with any cash.

He previously used an Autronic, but upgraded to a Motec ECU for the last round of the engine buildup.

EG33 Impreza tweaks