Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 PM

Registered SVX
Oil Leak

Ok, so I started my engine up...she fired first try

But, after a few moments I heard something funny, my friend looked at all the pulleys to find the source of the sound. I suspected a loose belt, or something of that sort (it was kind of a squeal).

He didn't see anything out of the ordinary up top, so he looked underneath the car, and saw a large oil leak. 2 Quarts or more. I shut the car off, she ran for maybe 10 seconds .

The oil was coming from the timing cover, but that's all that could be seen. I tore the front end of the engine down, and to my surprise the cam seals and the front main seal were completely dry, no evidence of oil around them. The leak appears to be coming from the oil pump. Now I am having a little trouble removing the damn thing because of the silicone used to seal it.

Maybe I did not seal it good enough, maybe I lost a bearing. I have no ****ing clue right now. I am going to attempt to remove the oil pump for further inspection.

Anybody have any ideas what could have possibly happened? I honestly don't actually think it's a bearing, but I am not sure.

Oh, P.S. SHE SOUNDED AMAZING!

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-26-2011, 12:29 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Oil Leak

My friend had a genius idea. We are going to apply air pressure to the oil system through the oil pressure sensor. Look for the drip...

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-26-2011, 01:49 AM

Registered SVX

Tracked the leak down to a void in the silicone sealing the oil pump to the case.

Can't believe that happened...but life goes on. I reinstalled the pump, and will put all the timing components back in tomorrow as well as installing the rest of the stuff back into place.

She should be running strong tomorrow night.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Now that is the right kind of problem to have. One that's solved in a day, with no need to buy any new parts and that hasn't caused any other problems. Congrats on nailing it down so fast.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Registered SVX

No kidding

Suppose I got off easy, I will take a silicone failure any day of the week. Especially one that is easy to get to.

The no money part is better, though

So, icingdeath88, when are you planning to start your build?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
So, icingdeath88, when are you planning to start your build?
Maybe someday.

I am seriously considering just resealing the engine from my white car and adding the cams that you've got, along with injectors, maf, and LAN's stage 2 ECU. Not going to win any awards, but it would certainly make a difference. Plus, that engine hardly needs a rebuild, the only thing wrong with it is the drivers side intake cam snapped ~1.5 inches from the sprocket during the accident.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Registered SVX

That's a bad situation. The cams are cast iron and will have sent debris into the oil immediately. Did the car run at all after the accident? If the pump moved oil at all after the accident it would be very possible that the debris could clog the pump. You need to flush oil throuh the engine at least.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Registered SVX

Because of where it broke, I don't think there was much opportunity for debris to get into the oil. It stopped running immediately and maybe slid for a few feet. It's possible though. I won't know for sure till I get the valve covers off, which probably won't be for a while. No rush, the engine isn't even out of the car yet, and I don't have another stand for it to go on.