SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM

Breaking Up With The Nexus One

Breaking up with the Nexus One
Posted by Michael V. Copeland, Senior Writer

February 9, 2010 6:00 AM

Was I fickle? Or was our relationship doomed from the start?

I just put my Nexus One “superphone” back in its box to send it home to Google (GOOG). I taped the sides of the Googley-themed cardboard, lest I be tempted to exhume it before the FedEx guy came to pick it up. So far, it hasn’t entered my mind to get the phone out of its package and fire it up one more time.

A gadget’s attraction (or a person’s for that matter) is often best measured by how much you think about it in the days and weeks following the “break up.” I have fond thoughts of my Nexus One, but I am sure our separation is the best thing for both of us. I will miss some of the best qualities of this first Google-branded phone, which the company loaned me. Its voice-enabled magic, whether it be for search, navigation or sending a text message, is stunning. I love playing with the universe exploration tool Google Sky, and will miss the time the Nexus One and I spent searching for Mars and other minor and major players in the night sky. Sure Google Sky works on my laptop, but it just isn’t as much fun — sort of like kissing your aunt.

In what I would like to think was an attempt to keep our relationship changing and interesting, Google sent out an “over the air” update late last week. With it came the addition of multi-touch for a few applications, and the addition of Google Goggles, which lets me use the phone’s camera to simply take pictures to search the web. Cool stuff, but not a massive leap forward for the superphone and me.

There was also a firmware update that purports to remedy some of the 3G connectivity issues folks are having with T-Mobile’s network (the complaints continue, however). Connectivity is not a complaint I have with the phone, it’s about as good (which is to say, as bad) as my experience with my BlackBerry running on AT&T’s (T) 3G network.

I won't be ignored!

The complaints I do have with the Nexus One, may have doomed us from the beginning. I have never worried about running out of battery life as much as I did with this phone. I couldn’t be confident we would make it through a typical early morning through dinner meeting kind of day without a recharge. Since I didn’t have chargers everywhere I went, I tended to throttle back on what I was doing with the phone, never getting its full potential.

I like physical keyboards, but I was willing to change. Over the course of the last month I still wasn’t proficient enough on the Nexus One's virtual keyboard to not get frustrated every time I texted something. Part of it is my BlackBerry past, but I also blame the hardware’s shortcomings. Either my right thumb is part vampire, or the right side of the screen was incredibly insensitive.

I found myself tapping things over and over and over. All I wanted was some acknowledgment. I got nothing. For me, that was enough to call it quits. Yes, I had to do some gymnastics to get my corporate email, but that would have been sorted out in time. But the obvious and cruel keyboard insensitivity was not something I could get past.

Goodbye Nexus One. I will miss you every time I look for Mars or want to “text” with my voice. Lemme know when your sister Nexus Two gets to town.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:42 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Breaking Up With The Nexus One

4g iphone is coming soon The landscape keyboard is very nice, vertical not so much.No complaints about service either. What else did you have in mind?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

I'm patiently waiting for the Verizon version :-) Dangit we need the popcorn smiley from the USMB...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 02-12-2010, 09:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I have an iphone 3g now, and will have it until an iphone becomes available for verizon. Att has no 3g coverage where i live. It's awful.
2001 Audi S8
Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I have an iphone 3g now, and will have it until an iphone becomes available for verizon. Att has no 3g coverage where i live. It's awful.
i have an iPod Touch (iPhone without the "phone" ), and given the choice, i'd take the Moto Droid again over an iPhone.

removable battery, removable mem card, and its worth it just for the navigation.

iPod/Phone has the advantage over it with choice of games/apps, but even then its not too great since its all touchscreen. i find myself pretty much just playiing freecell or solitaire on it anyway. playing a FPS with touchscreen controls is kinda silly.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
4g iphone is coming soon The landscape keyboard is very nice, vertical not so much.No complaints about service either. What else did you have in mind?
I bet I knew about the 4g iphone before you
Old 02-22-2010, 12:31 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

I love my Blackberry Pearl Flip. I work in an environment that is hell on a cell. I'd love to have gotten a touchscreen Storm2 but I doubt it could survive the bumps and bangs my Pearl has.
My complaints are few, the trackball tends to get sticky when you get boric acid in it. That and its a real charger baby.
You cant beat real buttons. My daughter has an LG Chocolate Touch with the "haptics" it feels fake to me.
Feature for feature I guess my wifes BB Curve has more apps ETC, but I don't worry about butt dialing *grin*
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: