Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 09-12-2009, 05:37 AM

MPG test on my new SVX.

I've been using the SVX as my day to day transport for the last week I haven't driven like an idiot but cruised at the legal limit (60-70 mph) most of the time and its a mix of A roads a bit of traffic and dual carriageway.
The results today after filling it up to exactly the same point and place i.e. so you can see the fuel in the top of the neck and the same pump etc.
436 Kilometres and used 45.52 litres of V-Power so I've done about 27 mpg overall.

Last edited by DJW svx; 09-12-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: MPG test on my new SVX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW svx View Post
I've been using the SVX as my day to day transport for the last week I haven't driven like an idiot but cruised at the legal limit most of the time and its a mix of A roads a bit of traffic and dual carriageway.
The results today after filling it up to exactly the same point and place i.e. so you can see the fuel in the top of the neck and the same pump etc.
436 Kilometres and used 45.52 litres of V-Power so I've done about 27 mpg overall.

Yep this is the kind of mileage to expect on the highway with most SVXi that are in good condition and not driven too hard. I average about 27 highway 20 city... Not sure where the CARS system got a combined 18mpg??

Tom
Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Yep this is the kind of mileage to expect on the highway with most SVXi that are in good condition and not driven too hard. I average about 27 highway 20 city... Not sure where the CARS system got a combined 18mpg??

Tom
The original ratings for these cars were 17c/24 or25hwy depending on year but in 2008 they revised the way they test cars and also decided to go back and change all the other cars from the past (just dropped every city rating by a certain percentage and the hwy by a different percentage) Thats how they got those BS ratings.
'92 http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...baru&model=SVX
'97 http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...odel=SVX%20AWD
Every car I have owned and kept track of the mileage as well as friends cars all got better than what they were rated for both city and highway driving.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

That's a pretty good figure for mixed driving. I used get that in my Claret for inter city runs, like Dublin to Belfast and back.

Stop start everyday driving was normally 22 mpg, rarely much better. On the other hand, on a steady long distance trip over 30 was possible on several occasions.

You are doing well.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-13-2009, 01:03 AM

Registered SVX

I got 14 mpg from all in town today... I don't drive too crazy... What should I do?
1992 Ebony SVX LS-L - 193k (parts)
Old 09-13-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
I got 14 mpg from all in town today... I don't drive too crazy... What should I do?
I guess town driving would be pretty low. My combined mileage check was typical of the type of roads I'll be using regularly, it is difficult to keep it below 76 on dual carriageways as it just cruises along so quietly I also make a point of not accelerating hard only to apply the brakes two seconds later.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXalter View Post
Well Dan, the first thing to do, don't get stressed about it, it's not as bad as it looks.

Remember the forum you are on here is the European forum. In England the Imperial Gallon is larger than the US Gallon, so of course the number of miles an SVX will travel on an English or Irish gallon is larger.

UK Gallon = 4.546 litres

US Gallon = 3.785 litre.

If you do the maths you will see that your 14 mpg city figure is the same as a UK city figure of 17 mpg.

There are a number of things you can do to ensure your car gives you the best mpg achievable. Check out the following:

Engine Tuning:
  • make sure your engine is properly tuned to give best performance
  • Be sure your plugs are good and gapped correctly. Replace them if over 90K
  • Check you don't have a misfire from a faulty plug lead.
  • Make sure you have a clean air filter
  • Make sure your MAF is clean

Gearbox:
  • If your auto trans is slipping it will affect mpg

Wheels and Tyres:
  • Don't wear tyres of wider than standard profile. They waste energy.
  • Ensure your tyres are always up to standard pressure, or even a few lbs above, all round. This saves fuel and does no harm
  • Make sure your wheels are all laser aligned. It takes energy [i.e. mpg] to wear off the insides or outsides of your tyres

Brakes:
  • Make sure your brakes are not dragging and your rotors are not warped. These things use energy.

Ancillaries:
  • Aircon pump uses 5 hp all the time at any revs. Very sore on mpg in the city. Turn it off if not needed.
  • Bazillion watt amps in the trunk. These keep your alternator working overtime and affect mileage. Turn it down to 11.

There are other things that affect it but these are the main ones. If you have all the above sorted your city miles could be up to 17 [US] or better. Oh, and if all your driving in the city is below 50 mph, consider driving in 3 rather than D, slipping up to D on the highway.

Remember also that your city mpg will be really poor if you spend a long time stopped in traffic queues or at traffic lights. In this situation make really certain your aircon pump is not engaged unless really necessary.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 AM

I'm going to run the check again this week although on the whole the type of roads will be the same.
I've noticed on e-bay a number of sellers with spark plugs for the SVX at a very low price anyone bought any from these sellers?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: