Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: What to expect from a built motor

Given that OT and YT have both been running 8 - 12 psi with the stock pistons/rings/block for a while, I would hope that you could safely go to 15-20 with a built motor (assuming you've got a good tune, of course!)

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Seriously, I would think that 8-10 lbs of boost with the engine you've outlined (low level of boost = no FMIC) that you can realistically expect ~350-400 hp at the crank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeL25T View Post
I like your car I would be looking to run at least twice as much boost as that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
... so what is this talk about closing the deck for 10#...
He is looking for at least twice 8-10lbs of boost, meaning minimum 20lbs of boost... it can be 27~28lbs

Do you think the STOCK EG33 sleeves can hold that much?
Check Tom00799

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Mike, do you think this is related to the internals you are using? I mean in my book, if someone wants to do such a project, he shouldn't sacrifice anything in going full fledge with this.

The bank account thing, you are 100% right. But to think that you "need" X parts and don't need V, W, Y, Z parts... here is the mistake.

Either get a mortgage and buy the "additional" parts such as sleeves, studs, new fabbed cams, valves.......... or don't do it at all...
I haven't assembled the built motor yet. Ran out of funds getting the parts. I still need the heads and crank worked, and the studs. I've got a stack of boxes in my garage that are full of parts. I was just making a general observation of tuner experiences. Not specifically our cars.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Has anyone ever found links to the EG33 drag Impreza builds? There are more than a handful of them running in the 1300+hp region. I'd assume one would have to go through the same build, other than removing water jackets to add to the intake or any of that crazy nonsense those drag people do.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

When I said at least twice 8-10 I was meaning to say "at least 16", sorry for the confusing. 20 to 25 lbs sounds good to me, it all depends I guess. I can bolt a turbo to it that can do it, the whole thread was mainly can the build motor stomach it and can I tune it though lol
Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I've put about 20K miles on mine while running 8lbs of boost, with the supercharger setup that Mike at ECUTune put together.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg View Post
I haven't assembled the built motor yet. Ran out of funds getting the parts. I still need the heads and crank worked, and the studs. I've got a stack of boxes in my garage that are full of parts. I was just making a general observation of tuner experiences. Not specifically our cars.
I understand... even gathering the smallest cheapest stuff can drain your pocket.

What will you do with the crank?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
Has anyone ever found links to the EG33 drag Impreza builds? There are more than a handful of them running in the 1300+hp region. I'd assume one would have to go through the same build, other than removing water jackets to add to the intake or any of that crazy nonsense those drag people do.
Link to these?
Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Quote:
Given that OT and YT have both been running 8 - 12 psi with the stock pistons/rings/block for a while, I would hope that you could safely go to 15-20 with a built motor (assuming you've got a good tune, of course!)

-Bill
This is what I am aiming for sir. Really hope someone does it before me but if not... expect results maybe mid July as it is getting closer to finish yet so far away

-Sov13t.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
This is what I am aiming for sir. Really hope someone does it before me but if not... expect results maybe mid July as it is getting closer to finish yet so far away

-Sov13t.
You'll get there! (Just stop breaking rings!! )

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
I understand... even gathering the smallest cheapest stuff can drain your pocket.

What will you do with the crank?
Just an inspect and balance.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
You'll get there! (Just stop breaking rings!! )

-Bill
Nice.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-24-2009, 12:32 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Link to these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dDJufvLuhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I0ZAm_1yZg
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
My setup will be single turbo, WRX 5 speed with Legacy GT 1-2 gear swap keeping the final drive. Hopefully that wont shatter like glass I can't spring for anything better than that. Do you think running it in front wheel drive mode with the fuse in would put less stress on launching?
Not sure where you are going with this remark, in light of the fact you will be running a 5-speed. The 5-speed is a mechanical box. It will be full-time AWD. With no facility for turning it into FWD unless you break something.
The fuse trick only works for the US auto transmission because you can switch off the rear solenoid, which punts all the motive power to the front differential. Once you have a 5-speed fitted that fuse will do nada.

Quote:

-Bill
Bill's comment about the state of tune is the deciding factor on what power you can produce, along with the need [not option] to provide efficient charge cooling as you go up in the poundage.

Whipple powered EG33 charts

Have a browse through these charts if you want to assess potential numbers. This spreadsheet essentially treats the EG33 motor as a pump that develops hp based on the amount of oxygen pushed through by forced induction. To achieve these figures you would need to have your tuning right or the numbers achieved will be lower. They are net figures at the crank, not WHP. Also you will notice if you compare the charts that the figures won't give you the desired hp without charge cooling. In the charts where charge cooling is at zero temperatures are up, often beyond safe limits. High in-cylinder temperatures mean less oxygen ingested and higher risk of pre-detonation and melting pistons. A lose-lose scenario.

Anything that has been done with an EJ 4 cylinder engine can more or less be done with the EG 33 six cylinder, which is essentially an EJ4 + 2. So in theory any builder-tuner that has done EJ engines can do the same for you with our flat six.

I'm agreeing with the thrust of the advice given to you so far. As you are putting money into an engine build there is no point in your boosting to the 8-10 lbs we know the standard engine is safe for. Most factory tuned EJ engines operate at around 1 ATM or 15 lbs, so a built engine with good charge cooling and tuning should be safe for this level. Going much beyond this you are into more risky territory, so I would suggest your engine design parameters should be to hold a safe 20 lbs, and that would probably include new liners and semi closing the deck.

Joe

BTW, before you order the pistons tomorrow, if you really want to go for bigger numbers, should you not be doing what RallyRob did and use larger pistons for a bigger swept volume?
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 AM

Doh.. You are correct. I'm not sure what made me thing the fuse would still work on the manual trans. Never put 2 and 2 together on that one

Main reason for not going bigger is I am not a fabricator nor do I have good access to a shop I'd trust to do it and honing or anything. Also, I'm buying my pistons used so theyre already made