How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Registered SVX
Oil Leak

I need to find out where the oil is leaking from. It pools on the underbody panel. Any idea where it is coming from? I hope to get at it this weekend, but we have snow and sub freezing temps. It has leaked about a half a quart since I bought it over a month ago. Engine runs fine, gas mileage is down around 21 MPG with running it easy, mostly on highway. No residue on top or side of engine, just on bottom around oil pan and spill over inside front wheels. Thanks, Gary
Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Sconnie

Send a message via MSN to paulmeisterpk
Re: Oil Leak

Could be leaking out of the oil pan gasket, the crank or cam seals, or valve covers. A lot of subaru valve covers leak, and I've personally had the front crank seal on my legacy leak and fling oil all over the oil pan.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

I had the passenger side intake cam plug leaking, plus the valve covers leaking. I just got done with the resealing, take a look here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48682

Like Paul said, it's probably the main seals, cam seals, or valve covers. If it's the oil pan, it should be pretty easy to see, and best of all, that's one of the easier ones to replace since you don't have to take the engine half apart to get to it!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I had the passenger side intake cam plug leaking, plus the valve covers leaking. I just got done with the resealing, take a look here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48682

Like Paul said, it's probably the main seals, cam seals, or valve covers. If it's the oil pan, it should be pretty easy to see, and best of all, that's one of the easier ones to replace since you don't have to take the engine half apart to get to it!
WOW, someone else with leaks LOL....I`m trying to track mine down too, got down to the cams and crank seals...I`m thinking might as well do a timming belt while it`s open....
Someone told me you can put some A/C leak dye in the oil and in a couple of days check with a dark light to see where the leaks are coming from....Clean motor thoughrly(sp?) real good first...
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartracing View Post
WOW, someone else with leaks LOL....I`m trying to track mine down too, got down to the cams and crank seals...I`m thinking might as well do a timming belt while it`s open....
Someone told me you can put some A/C leak dye in the oil and in a couple of days check with a dark light to see where the leaks are coming from....Clean motor thoughrly(sp?) real good first...
If you just clean the motor really well, you'll probably be able to source the oil leak pretty easily without dye. It'll be the spot on the clean motor with fresh oil pouring out of it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks. I'll let you know what I find...when it stops snowing. By the way, 1st time in the snow with my SVX....not my work V8 Ford Explorer but passed a bunch of cars (including some SUVs) spun out in some ditches on the way home. I Love This Car!!!!!