How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

Miata project

Ok, I've decided that I'm going to keep all my project ideas in this thread so as to keep things separated and in the appropriate forum. I'm not sure if this should go in technical or modifications, but plenty discussed here will apply to both.

So since getting a hold of this engine and tearing down the "fluff" on it, I've had a few questions raised and hoping you guys can help me answer them.

Intake. I'll likely be fabricating an intake for this. From what I've worked up in my head so far, I'll be doing minor modifications to the lower manifolds, but will have a new upper made from scratch. This poses the question of what will need to be carried over from factory to custom. On the factory setup, from the underside of the upper intake, there's a vacuum operated...well, round thingy, the induction control vavle assembly. I haven't taken it apart, but I can only guess that under certain conditions, it opens or closes between the two halves of the manifold. Precisely to what purpose was this put on the engine to begin with? Will I need something similar on the fabricated intake?

Moving on from that, there are a number of vacuum solenoids (3 or 4 if I recall) under the intake. When I got the engine, not all the lines where intact, so I wasn't able to figure out where all of these are supposed to go. AllData is turning up a blank for me on this one, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Since we're here, what vacuum lines and parts can be eliminated and still have the engine run without issue? I'm not worried about passing emissions, as Minnesota has no emissions testing. Aside from vacuum, is there any other fat I can trim? I'm looking for the very most simple setup I can manage. After owning an '86, '88, and '93 RX-7, I've learned to appreciate the simplicity of a modified vacuum system. I would like to avoid wrestling with anything the ECU needs to see signals from but am not totally opposed to it either. I'll just sucker the good ECU guys into lending a hand

Onto the throttle body...It would be simple to use the factory one, but are there other options out there if this one becomes a pain my rear for some reason? I am planning on putting more power to the engine once I figure out exactly how to fit it into the engine bay. Which brings us to....

Exhaust manifolds. I've come across a couple things saying the factory manifolds flow pretty well already. The factory ones simply won't fit the way they should for me, so you guessed it, I'll be having custom ones made. Any suggestions on improvements from the factory design?

Here's a doozy of an issue for me...the transmission. There is no feasible way for me to make the miata AWD. This leaves me with figuring out a RWD tranny option. I have yet to get in touch with Small Car, but after looking through their site, I doubt they'll have a solution for me. I can find a Subaru transmission that will work to modify it to RWD only. I don't see this as a very viable option due to the space that a normal AWD tranny will take up. I could find a RWD transmission and modify it to fit the Subaru engine. I remember having a transmission (I think a Borg-Warner T-5 or T-10) that was a durable, yet slim and compact transmission with a removeable bell housing. I'm thinking this might be the best option for me so that I can simply have a bell housing made that will fit both the engine and transmission the way it should.

Ok, I know there's a lot more to this that I could go on about, but this is quite a bit for now. Once I get some pictures of what I have to work with I'll get them up here. You guys seem to work really well with them That and I've been at work for an hour and have only written this post in that time. Good thing Saturdays are slow at a shop.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

Now come on guys, I know there's plenty of technical knowledge out there, lend me a hand
Old 05-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lechnoid View Post
Now come on guys, I know there's plenty of technical knowledge out there, lend me a hand
A search of the subject will bring up a few answers.
This one will describe the IRIS
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1141

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
I'm running a RWD setup in my SVX right now, using a Subaru 5-speed, with a welded up center diff, and no front axles, is holding up rather well...

You'll have a VERY hard time trying to fit a different brand transmission up to a Subaru motor, due to the starter location....

Maybe a porche transmission with an adaptor plate...but then would have 5 reverse gears and one fowrard....with some custom gearsets for th ePorche tranny, it could be made to work...but would require lots of money....I'd rcommend using a Subaru Tranny, at least starting out...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

I've decided to look further into Huck's setup of the RWD 5MT for use in the miata. If it will work, that will eliminate many of the issues I've been wrestling with in my head.

The bigger news is that I've figured out a solution to my steering predicament.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/attachment...chmentid=64099

I don't imagine this would be difficult to fab up at all. Even better, I'll be able to adjust gearing to change the ratios between the turning speed of the steering wheel and the tires. It's on the way to becoming on helluva track car