How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-29-2002, 11:42 PM
EverclearAtMSU

voltage regulator?

does the SVX have a voltage regulator? Or is that built into the alternator? I'm used to working on older cars that have their own control for it. If it's built into the alternator, what do the wires coming off the alternator goto? Other than the top one that goes to the battery
Old 06-30-2002, 07:13 AM

It's built in....

and uses an IC regulator and a couple of silicon diodes to rectify the AC to DC
Old 07-01-2002, 07:40 AM
EverclearAtMSU

how would I know if this went bad?
Old 07-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Most of the time when a voltage regulator goes bad it will overcharge your battery and cook out all of the fluid. Not good.
Old 07-01-2002, 12:36 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by nubs
Most of the time when a voltage regulator goes bad it will overcharge your battery and cook out all of the fluid. Not good.
eh, doesn't sound good to me either. How could I test for that though...Recently I've been having my lights dim for a second, then come back to full power, every now and then it will almost be like a flashing effect with the dimming....

I've also noticed that my inverter powers down then comes back up and a min or 2 later does the same thing. My radio and amp dont shut off, the only hint of a problem is the inverter, and that i can see the normal driving beams dimming in a pitch black area, along with the gauge faces...oh, and those warning lights dimming in and out...
Old 07-01-2002, 06:47 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

eh, doesn't sound good to me either. How could I test for that though...Recently I've been having my lights dim for a second, then come back to full power, every now and then it will almost be like a flashing effect with the dimming....

I've also noticed that my inverter powers down then comes back up and a min or 2 later does the same thing. My radio and amp dont shut off, the only hint of a problem is the inverter, and that i can see the normal driving beams dimming in a pitch black area, along with the gauge faces...oh, and those warning lights dimming in and out...
If the reg goes out, it won't charge at all, it's output feeds the field winding, no reg output, no charge.
If the battery voltage goes to over 12.5 volts, usually up to a max of 14.7volts, when the engine is doing over 2000revs, the reg is working.

I doubt that the reg would cause your problems, the battery voltage will not change that quickly,due to the reg.
More likely a loose connection or a short.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

If the reg goes out, it won't charge at all, it's output feeds the field winding, no reg output, no charge.
If the battery voltage goes to over 12.5 volts, usually up to a max of 14.7volts, when the engine is doing over 2000revs, the reg is working.

I doubt that the reg would cause your problems, the battery voltage will not change that quickly,due to the reg.
More likely a loose connection or a short.

Harvey.
OAB is right on that one. I had the voltage regulator go bad on me. It just didn't charge properly anymore. Clearing the ECU would help only temporarily. The bad regulator also seemed to put the engine into limp mode. (radiator fans always on, difficult starting when cold, low idle...)

To me it sounds like the rest of the alternator...especially with the flashing warning lights. You can also check that the connector is also plugged very securely to the alternator. Perhaps some conductive paste would help if it is indeed loose.