Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jedz123
A Clutch Q

Hello Everyone
This Q goes out to the guys that have done the 4EAT to the 5-speed AWD swap. What kind of clutch kit did you use when installing the manual AWD system?...Actually...better yet, what kind of Clutch system do you recommend to use in a manual AWD system. I'm curious; Did you use the stock OEM clutch kit? or go with something more robust? So you know I will be using a 92 Legacy 5-speed AWD system in the SVX (so it uses the cable clutch system). I am putting a new clutch on it no matter what...I just don't know what kind yet. I didn't know if I should just buy a $175 clutch kit from the local parts store (break it in and pray she holds), or spend the extra buck and get more grip w/ a "performance" clutch. You know those nice Kevlar systems w/ at least 70% more holding power then stock OEM clutch systems (so they claim). Personally If I could get by w/ a stocker system I would. Why spend the extra cash when stock is adequate? My car will not be driven lightley though...A 230hp 3.3 H6 exhaling through a barely legaly (dB) exaust system which roars dependently from engine rotation, turning and spinning a 5-speed transmission which in turn then transfers the engine's power to the road, squeeking and squaking through four Summer performance Radials...This car (as you can tell) is a weekend driver ONLY!! ...I drive my legacy every day to work and to the Super-Market, it gets me good gas mileage and it's cheap to insure...the SVX does anything but. So it spends most of the week parked (especially now lol... ). So there you have, it A Clutch Q for the night
Any advice would be nice.
Thanks Guys
~Jedz

...P.S. I can post pics of parts and project if anyone is interested.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
My opinion is a stock clutch is fine, but to really hook up, you need a stiffer Pressure Plate...as that is what dictates the clamping force, not the clutch plate.

If you want it as a daily driver, stock clutch pressure plate is fine, but will slip under a hard launch, but fine under a normal launch.
If you want to race it, a heavier set up will be good ideal...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-03-2007, 06:23 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Huck's right. I used a WRX tranny and kept the stock clutch which actually holds up to all the abuse I've sent its way.

If you do upgrade then don't go crazy. The stiffer clutches, albeit stronger, are harder to launch gently. It's a compromise.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jedz123
Thanks guys
I see that if the problem can be resolved with just a pressure plate, then perhaps I could just install a pressure plate with more clamping force then the stocker. I don't think a WRX pressure plate would work, but maybe something. And if I do get a kit...it won't be carzy.

Quote:
If you do upgrade then don't go crazy. The stiffer clutches, albeit stronger, are harder to launch gently. It's a compromise.
Yes Yes Very true...driven a vette with a mutli plate clutch kit in it....hardest car to learn to drive

Quote:
but to really hook up, you need a stiffer Pressure Plate...as that is what dictates the clamping force, not the clutch plate.
True the pressure plate dictates the force...but not allways the case when you really hook up. Some clutch systems have discs that are designed to lock up instantly for sudden engament. One key reason is the ingredient used; for example, ceramic. Ceramic sticks alot beter then whats on our stocker plate. The ceramic plates bite as hard as some of their ceramic relatives, brake pads. Ceramic does not last long, from what I've expirenced roughley 20,000 hard miles. At this level I may only need a pressure plate to aquire the results I want.
....Thanks Huck
Old 01-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
You're welcome.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"