How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 PM
clarkerussell

Oil pump gasket.

Now that I have to dig around the front of my car to fix my power steering hoses (hopefully that's all), I'm thinking of replacing my oil pump's gasket (and perhaps the pump too). Is it readily accessable, or is it buried away in the engine bay? Are there any "Oil Pump Gasket for Dummies" guides out there? Thanks.

Clarke
Old 10-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

You mean pulling your timing belt cover, and idlers, etc.??

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Personally, I would save that job for when you replace the timing belt. That's kind of a hefty job just to do the gasket alone.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 10-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Personally, I would save that job for when you replace the timing belt. That's kind of a hefty job just to do the gasket alone.
Agreed. Changing that front crank/oil pump seal isn't exactly a walk in the park.

It's a pretty cheap part (~$5), but the process of replacing it is very involved!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 10-07-2005, 06:32 AM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Agreed. Changing that front crank/oil pump seal isn't exactly a walk in the park.

It's a pretty cheap part (~$5), but the process of replacing it is very involved!

-Chike
That's what I thought... I need to replace the belt and the cam seals at the same time. I'm scared of that repair.. Does anyone know of a good Independent repair shop in the Greenville, SC or Charlotte, NC area? I knew a guy in Greenville (Chris something I think) that used to own a place called "The Roadshow". He was a great former Subaru tech that knew all about the SVX. He had all the books and equipment to work on them and we specially trained by Subaru on the SVX. Unfortunatly he is no longer on his own. He went back to dealership work.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Good luck finding one around here. If it was me I'd hit one of the north carolina dealers near asheville/hendersonville area. Check nasioc.com southeast region for some locals up there who know good shops.

That repair isn't all that difficult really - as long as the crank sprocket comes off easy and you have tools to get the cam sprockets off the rest is a breeze.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkerussell
Unfortunatly he is no longer on his own. He went back to dealership work.
What dealer is Chris working at now?

He worked on my car when he was at the Steve White subaru dealer about 5 years ago.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
There is no gasket for the oil pump. Factory used an RTV for the oil pump. If you mean the front seal, that is what Chike is showing you. Also, there is really no need to replace the oil pump as they are self-lubricating, so as long as there is oil in the car, it won't wear out in less than 200k in my opinion

Tom
Old 10-08-2005, 10:03 AM
clarkerussell

I'm not sure... I don't think it's a Subaru dealer. If I knew, I'd try to reach him and see if he'd like to do some sideline work on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
What dealer is Chris working at now?

He worked on my car when he was at the Steve White subaru dealer about 5 years ago.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:08 AM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
Good luck finding one around here. If it was me I'd hit one of the north carolina dealers near asheville/hendersonville area. Check nasioc.com southeast region for some locals up there who know good shops.

That repair isn't all that difficult really - as long as the crank sprocket comes off easy and you have tools to get the cam sprockets off the rest is a breeze.
Yea, I need to replace the timing belt and all the "front seals". That's according to a Subaru dealer in Orlando. I'd do it myself but I just don't have the working knowledge of the SVX to undertake the job. I've done engine work on my 635CSi and my Triumph TR8, but those don't really compare to the flat 6 in the SVX...
Old 10-08-2005, 10:10 AM
clarkerussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
There is no gasket for the oil pump. Factory used an RTV for the oil pump. If you mean the front seal, that is what Chike is showing you. Also, there is really no need to replace the oil pump as they are self-lubricating, so as long as there is oil in the car, it won't wear out in less than 200k in my opinion

Tom
Yea, it's the front seal that's bad... It's pouring out oil... Since getting to it requires removing the timeing cover, belt, etc, I think I just need ot get a shop to do it.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
It would be good to do the water pump while you are doing the timing belt. They don't last forever. The entire job really isn't that difficult, but you do need a few specialty tools. If you have a garage where you can do the work and a spare car, you can take your time with the repair.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 AM
SVX NEWB!!!

Noob here...

I've got an SVX with a similar problem (front oil pump seal). My problem is this- I have nowhere to work on the car. How much, respectively, would it cost for someone else to do it? Sorry if that question is assenine. I just need to know because this car is about to go on a trip to Texas from Florida (about 1,200miles give or take) and I need it to make it! Any help would be appreciated. By the way, sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
There is an o-ring behind the pump that seals it to the engine. With time they can leak. However the most common leak is the crankshaft seal as it not only seals the crankshaft, as in a normal engine, but also seals oil pump pressure.

It really is a good idea to replace the crank seal and the oil pump o-ring when replacing the t-belt. Many times cam seals are replaced also but I've found that most of the oil thought to be coming from them is actually just carried away from the crank sprocket by the belt. I've been finding that the crank seal begins seeping around 30k miles and when removed is rock-hard.

Replacing the o-ring behind the pump is easy once the t-belt is removed. Once the pump is off it's an easy task to punch the crank seal out from the back. BE WARY - many people have been abused by dealers/shops that oversell, stating that an oil pump must be replaced because it is leaking/age/etc.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beav
There is an o-ring behind the pump that seals it to the engine. With time they can leak. However the most common leak is the crankshaft seal as it not only seals the crankshaft, as in a normal engine, but also seals oil pump pressure.

It really is a good idea to replace the crank seal and the oil pump o-ring when replacing the t-belt. Many times cam seals are replaced also but I've found that most of the oil thought to be coming from them is actually just carried away from the crank sprocket by the belt. I've been finding that the crank seal begins seeping around 30k miles and when removed is rock-hard.

Replacing the o-ring behind the pump is easy once the t-belt is removed. Once the pump is off it's an easy task to punch the crank seal out from the back. BE WARY - many people have been abused by dealers/shops that oversell, stating that an oil pump must be replaced because it is leaking/age/etc.
The above should be permanently recorded in the "How To" stuff.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!