Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Über Putz
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Question Rear binding (?) problems, any advice is helpful...

Hello!

I think I have the all too common (from the searches I've done at least) binding problem. But, it seems mine is a bit different. Yes I do get it when turning but also when accelerating in a straight line from a stop, so it puzzles me as I didn't find any threads with the combined problem. I thought about trying to pull codes but as far as I know I don't have a POWER light in my cluster (96 LSi) and if I do I've never seen it. Is pulling codes even a practical option since it's OBD II?
Now, I'd like to take care of this problem before it gets any worse. I've read about the LSD additive fix but kind of hesitant to do it. How much to add? Best way to remove tranny fluid? Warning on the back of the LSD bottle about automatic trannies?
Anyway, if some help or advice can be given I'd greatly appreciate it. Hopefully it's something I can fix myself relativley easy. Thanks in advance!
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Look at the big thread called "awd binding again" by stooker.
I have the p/n of the additive I used and how much to use.

Tom explains what to do to check the duty solenoid C and offers tons of advice because adding the additive only covers up the real problem.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Über Putz

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I've looked in there and many other threads also. The problem is I'm finding answers that are in disagreement with each other for a diagnosis. All I know is the "shuddering" is quite bad and that it goes away when I put the FWD fuse in. Some of the posts claim this is a problem with the C solenoid and some claim it's not Same with transfer clutches. I'm willing to try the LSD quick-fix as a way to buy some time so I can figure out the problem but I'm having trouble locating the mineral variety.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 10-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKoP
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I've looked in there and many other threads also. The problem is I'm finding answers that are in disagreement with each other for a diagnosis. All I know is the "shuddering" is quite bad and that it goes away when I put the FWD fuse in. Some of the posts claim this is a problem with the C solenoid and some claim it's not Same with transfer clutches. I'm willing to try the LSD quick-fix as a way to buy some time so I can figure out the problem but I'm having trouble locating the mineral variety.
If the problem goes away when you fit the FWD fuse, then you can be sure it is either the C solenoid, or the Transfer valve, or the transfer clutch pack that is binding. Either way you have to remove the rear of the transmission to replace any of these components. So you may as well just replace all of them and fix the trouble. The job would cost about AU$400 in Australia, a bit more over there.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Über Putz

Thanks for clearing that up. Like I wrote, there was a bit of confusion for me due to conflicting ideas in some threads. I hope this does indeed fix my problem as the car is getting to be almost unbearable to drive at times. I'm still fairly new to the SVX so I guess I have quite a bit of learning to do
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS
Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Order it online if you are going for that temporary fix.....I ordered from NAPA....the p/n is on that thread....
Old 10-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Über Putz

Well it seems to be much worse today. I'm getting severe vibration which shakes the whole car from the center console (right above the tranny) and I'm afraid to drive it like this. Still goes away with the FWD fuse in though. Any clues? I just did a quick search and found some things pertaining to the rear differential mounts.

At least the weather's been good so I can drive my bike but I really need to take care of this.
1996 Subaru SVX LSi #143
2005 Mazda RX-8 Shinka
2003 BMW F650CS

Last edited by TheKoP; 10-09-2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Seems as though it's an electrical issue since the fuse cures the binding. I wonder if a mal-adjusted TPS could cause such bindings? eg. TCU thinks throttle depressed more than it actually is and locks the AWD clutch more than it should.