Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-06-2006, 01:51 PM
It goes fast-that's all I know

Special Instructions 4 my mechanic necessary?

Hello everyone! This might sound stupid, but since I'm mechanically challenged when it comes to automobiles and I've heard/read SO MUCH about the unique "quirks" of the SVX that seem to be significant when servicing/repairing them, what I would like to know is:

What SVX information should I give to my friend, who is an experienced mechanic and has owned his own successful shop with a half a dozen employees for 20 years, when I bring my SVX in next week to do some extensive work on the car (IE: cam seals, valve gaskets, power steering rack, maybe replace transcooler/radiator, and/or?) which would be USEFUL to him and not insulting his expertise? He's a general mechanic, I'd suppose you'd say, who is experienced in foreign and domestic vehicles of all makes and models. Is there anything SVX specific that would be to my advantage to pass along to him? I just don't want him to screw something up by doing something that is typically done on every other car around but should'nt be done to an SVX, ya know?
Thanks for any input or suggestions!

Jeanne in Pismo Beach
Old 08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If he's a good, experienced mechanic he shouldn't have any problems with the SVX.

Beyond normal gasket/seal leakage you might mention that the PCV valve is a known issue because of its mounting and cause premature leakage of new gaskets/seals. If you're having the rack replaced due to leakage be aware that there are two transmission cooler hoses above the rack that can leak and initially appear to be the rack leaking.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
It goes fast-that's all I know

Thanks Beav, I'll keep these in mind when I bring my car in. I am like an overly protective mother when it comes to anyone messing with my SVX. When I had new tires put on a week and a half ago, you should've seen me jump on the poor guy when he started tightening the lugs with his air gun- "...that thing is calibrated right? you CANNOT over tighten the lugs on THIS car because if you do, the rotors are going to get warped! Be careful!!...) ha ha.
Thanks again!

Jeanne in Pismo Beach
Old 08-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
To be totally honest, I put mine on with an impact, without a second thought. You have to be pretty brutal with one to cause rotor warpage. Then again, most tire jockeys receive no more than 12 minutes of training before they are turned loose on a car.