How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Steering Wheel feedback???

ALright guys, I was planning on posting this up but I totally forgot about it after the last AutoX... Alright here is what is going on...

The car feels GREAT on the AutoX courses that I have run... The only problem is on some of the slower (around 30mph~ish) turns, the steering wheel would kick back rather hard... It is EXTREMLY annoying when you are trying to be smooth through the turns... Anyone have a clue as to what this is??? I'm not all that worried about the car as a daily driver because I don't drive it everyday.. Infact, I probably drive it once or twice a week... I am only wondering what would cause a kickback like that...

What I was thinking is it is a "normal" response of the car's powersteering trying to "keep up with a quick input"... I have no clue though.. All I know is that it is annoying and that if it wasn't there I could have probably taken as much as 2 seconds off of my run time on the last course... Any thoughts guys??

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I've never noticed this myself. When was the last time you changed the o-ring?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
N3v4r!!1!!1!!!! Oh No3s!11!one!11

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-09-2006, 05:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
On the right track. Something is wrong. Air in the system ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:01 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
My stering was pretty funky too. I sprayed the steering colum U joints with PB blaster and it smothed it right up. Id try that before anything because it only takes like 5 minutes
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-09-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
On the right track. Something is wrong. Air in the system ?
Thought about that... However I have never messed with the steering system before other than adding fluid... Possibly I should do the O-ring and bleed the system??

Old 05-10-2006, 05:44 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Thought about that... However I have never messed with the steering system before other than adding fluid... Possibly I should do the O-ring and bleed the system??
Have come back here as requested in your other thread. Is the kickback related to power steering do you think, or is it a direct reaction from the wheels/tyres? If it is the latter, you should think about the tyres rolling on the rims. Wide tyres on standard rims are a no no. Best for what you are doing is tyres on wider rims than specified, so as to straighten up the sidewalls. I presume you are running pressures much higher than spec, especially at the front.

I do not pretend to have all the answers but the above may assist to jog your thought processes. Cheers

Edit, P.S. Are your rack mounts spongy ? One of the first things I would do is fit solid rack mounts and it surprises me that those offering special bits have not come up with something. Patterns for replacements should not represent a significant capital outlay.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-10-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Had the same thing happen to me Chris

Last weekends AutoX school had a decreasing distance slalom followed by a nasty kink R and quick L. Felt as if the power steering pump was run dry and I had lost the boost. Felt it on every run, but it was more noticeable on my more messed up, aggressive corrective input runs. This was in my 95L too.

Todd
Old 05-10-2006, 09:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??
Last weekends AutoX school had a decreasing distance slalom followed by a nasty kink R and quick L. Felt as if the power steering pump was run dry and I had lost the boost. Felt it on every run, but it was more noticeable on my more messed up, aggressive corrective input runs. This was in my 95L too.

Todd
I think that you have donned your thinking cap and come up with the answer.

The reducing slalom is a nasty one to throw in and it would be hard not to be untidy. Judging things well enough to scrub of speed at the required rate would be specially difficult. What is more the brutal way could well be the fastest. Take no notice of instructors and any others insisting on a pretty style. Do it your way !

Cheers, having fun is the main thing.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Actually first thing I'd check is the bolts holding the rack to the cross member. They kinda loosen up a bit and can do what you're describing (or I think your describing). Then go out and get yourself a pump that only half works. It is much better around a course plus it saves time in the gym. Seriously I love our steering. Not a clue whats wrong with it but she's as tight as tight can be without being impossible to turn with 275s on it.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:56 AM
The best Damn Lance Corporal

Send a message via AIM to chris92svxlsl
off then topic but greenmarinesvx, you wanna meet up in a couple of weeks
im down here in cherry point raleigh's not too far, any autoX soon
Old 05-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
You probobly have an RPM sensitive rack, which means as you go slower assist is only altered byt he RPM. Which always sucks. I have also found that when the steering cooler is cut out of the system, the car will seem to react much quicker and feel much lighter. It is a 2 pass cooler with no fins, just a pipe so it really isn't doing much for you anyway.

Tom
Old 05-16-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris92svxlsl
off then topic but greenmarinesvx, you wanna meet up in a couple of weeks
im down here in cherry point raleigh's not too far, any autoX soon
PM'ed you... We'll AutoX together sometime this fall

Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??

Todd
You felt it too huh? Strange... i'm gonna go talk to the local Subaru dealer and see what the head mechanic thinks... He owns an SVX too