How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-02-2005, 02:47 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Ok, my car is a 94, not US specs, I already installed a tranny cooler like 1 year ago, but not external filter. So i will put that filter like the pic shows in How-To-Docs until i do my 6speed conv.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:31 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Thanks for all your inputs. I've spoken to many mechanics and race car drivers, and they all agree that I don't need a trans cooler or an external trans filter for what I use the car for (highway driving). They have said that it's overkill, and it's for those who enjoy upgrading their cars. Thanks anyway!
Old 11-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
But as SVX users and experts (more than those mechanics and race drivers) we advise U to put that extra cooler. Now the decision is all Urs

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I've spoken to many mechanics and race car drivers, and they all agree that I don't need a trans cooler or an external trans filter for what I use the car for (highway driving).
I agree with Danny. Anyone who's familiar with my posts here knows that I'm partial to keeping an SVX as stock as possible, and I think any setup that cools to the point of preventing torque converter lockup is overkill, but I wonder if the guys giving you this advice are familiar with the trouble-prone SVX transmission. An external filter and supplemetntal cooler (especially the latter) are mighty cheap, relative to the troubles they can prevent or delay. And who's to say you'll never get hung-up in miles of traffic on some blistering day on your way to the highway?

dcb
Old 11-02-2005, 08:39 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
You are probably right, I do love my car and enjoy taken care of it. Who knows SVX more than the owners themselves? Thanks again guys!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
external filter

I got word from the previous owner, he removed the external trans filter once he replaced the radiator. He said the external filter was for the original radiator that had problems with particles clogging up the screen in the radiator. Does this sound correct?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
I got word from the previous owner, he removed the external trans filter once he replaced the radiator. He said the external filter was for the original radiator that had problems with particles clogging up the screen in the radiator. Does this sound correct?
That's the story as I've read here. But still, you're talking only $10; why remove that extra measure of protection?

dcb
Old 11-07-2005, 06:12 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Where are you getting the $10 figure from? My filter was like $50. The retro kit is cheap but is only supposed to be sold to vehicles that didn't come with it or didn't have it done yet
Old 11-07-2005, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Where are you getting the $10 figure from? My filter was like $50. The retro kit is cheap but is only supposed to be sold to vehicles that didn't come with it or didn't have it done yet

Subaru external ATF filter

If you have the original "campaign" mount in place (I assumed the previous owner of dannmarr's car didn't go to the trouble to pull the mount, too), all you need is the above filter. I've forgotten the particular hardware that comes with the kit, but a length of hose and protective hose sheathing are included.

dcb
Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Subaru external ATF filter

If you have the original "campaign" mount in place (I assumed the previous owner of dannmarr's car didn't go to the trouble to pull the mount, too), all you need is the above filter. I've forgotten the particular hardware that comes with the kit, but a length of hose and protective hose sheathing are included.

dcb

And your point is? Did you read what I wrote? It is a kit to retro the 92s the dealer is supposed to verify that the car doesn't have it by vin and put it in. The filter itself costs $50.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:35 AM

Geez, relax.

All I know is that I bought one for my car, and it was like, $12 with shipping. Canister-type filter. Hose. Hardware. Are you saying that subaruparts.com won't sell you this kit without first running your VIN to see if you have one in place? I'm not trying to be contrary; just to figure-out what's what.

dcb
Old 11-07-2005, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Geez, relax.

All I know is that I bought one for my car, and it was like, $12 with shipping. Canister-type filter. Hose. Hardware. Are you saying that subaruparts.com won't sell you this kit without first running your VIN to see if you have one in place? I'm not trying to be contrary; just to figure-out what's what.

dcb
Not a clue what subaruparts (as I've been waiting for 5 years now for a midpipe from them that is still listed as 10 days out so I prefer to actually deal with a place that understands service is important) would do but liberty wouldn't hence the price for a filter.