How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSVX
Wouldn't be easier to buy a short block, and go from there
yes it would... but you will not be making any achievement. you can buy it and tune it to 500HP's... but the challenge is to mess with the SVX's engine

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

The O2 sensors were free. Here's the long story:

When I put the 92 in the shop to fix the speedo gear that runs speed sensor 2, they screwed up the O2 sensors.

After I paid their $1,083.00 bill on replacing that plastic gear, I got the car back and it ran like crap. (As you were speaking of earlier.) It also had a slight exhaust leak.

I took it back mad as a hornet, (Mad due to previous experiences) and they said the O2 sensors were out. They said "both".. I said "Both??" They said yeah, both.... I said they weren't when I brought the @$#^^$#%'en car in here!! After investigation, it came that they screwed up the sensors while pulling the exhaust to get to the tranny. They screwed up the connectors and jury rigged them back in wrong. ... Welcome to Las Vegas .... Half previous owner, where it wasn't textbook, and half these guys cause they never read a textbook. They finally admitted it and said they would replace them.... but.... since the car is from New Jersey, they wanted me to replace the exhaust first, because they are allergic to rust, and it makes their sinuses run.

But they used the excuse: "We are fearful we will rip the exhaust unscrewing the sensors". Hogwash! I have the exhaust in my garage as we speak, both sensors removed with no damage. There is surface rust, but nothing is even close to being weakened. Just rusty red... Big deal.

All they needed was $1,800 to replace the exhaust, and they would give me free O2 sensors. Wheee!!!! What a deal!! I told them I would be back.

Few weeks later.... Car is totaled.

3 months later..... Car is back on the road with a salvage title.

I replaced the exhaust from the 94 in the garage...original and super Las Vegas rust free all the way back. It looks like it came out of the box.

Went back a couple of weeks ago... Told them I wanted the sensors. They said 'but we can't do that unless you replace the exhaust. They said they may be able to pull it off for $1,300 if the muffler is OK. I said, just hand me the sensors, I'll do it myself.

Surprisingly, they did.

They will never touch my car again. I don't care if the transmission does a dance and ends up in my back seat. I'll take it to "Fat Earnie's discount transmission and lottery center" before they see my car again. They screwed up 4 times... count them.... 4 times in a row. They aren't exactly competent in my book.

Anyway, I used this opportunity to vent. But in short. I got the O2 sensors for free.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)

Last edited by Electrophil; 10-14-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:08 PM

I remember the story, now the current exhaust, si the stock, and the one you were running it was aftermarket, right? any difference in performance????
Old 10-14-2005, 09:23 PM

The car is stronger. It isn't as neck snapping as yours, but then you have that 5 speed .

The system I took off was 2/3 stock svx, and 1/3 "hey, lets weld this on!!". It hurt the performance. But..... I believe it was a matter of economy, and not performance the previous owner was after.

Hey, I feel for our northern brothers. They have to deal with those salted roads. Think about it, for us, an exhaust lasts for the life of the vehicle. We rarely even replace a cat before a couple of hundred thousand.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:30 AM

Did your aftermarket exhaust had a resonator? I felt a difference in power once it was removed. less power, but I did it when i was having problems with the stock automatic tranny, I want to go by your house. When are you available????
Old 10-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Anytime after Thursday is cool.