Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-14-2005, 12:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nobody Send a message via MSN to Nobody
Strange noise on sharp turns

Hi all,
recently I have solved problems with transfer valve and bearings at VTD. Now it is time to solve my other problem. I have thought it is partly connected to my tranfer valve problems but it seems it is someting else. On sharp turns I can hear and feel strange metal to metal knocking sound, asuming from front right. It mostly occures when I am turning sharply to the left from complete stop. It does not ocure when driving and sharply turning, it sometimes does it to the right side turns as well and when I really fast press gas pedal on stright as well. This problem I am having from the time I have bought my car, 15000km ago. I decided to let it go worse to easily identify the problem. I was discussing this with my mechanic and we have no idea what it could be. First idea was bad transfer valve and worn transfer plates but as I let it check and replace the problem is still there. Any idea?
Front diff? I suppose not when I did on it over 15000km and I think it would die much more sooner. Tranny was rebuild, front diff checked and it was doing before and after trany rebuild with no difference...
Any chassis thing? I know I have to replace all "consumables" on both front wheels and on right rear one.
We have roughly checked it from below but no visible demage or visible wear-outs. It is really metal knocking sound and I can as well feel it, someting like in 2WD with some system like TractionControl which brakes or not distribute power on one wheel.
As I was rebuilding engine both half-axis/shafts checked and no demage or wear-out noticed...
Any idea strongly appreciated

Thax all, Petr
Old 08-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
If I am reading you correctly you have a noise while the front wheels are near full lock (turned to one side) and you are accelerating. That would be a classic outer drive joint (constant velocity) noise, common to most all front drive vehicles. It is difficult to notice any looseness in the joint even when they are making a lot of noise. The steel balls in the joint are moving in and out of wear grooves and making a clattering type noise.