Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Domo Arigato

Window switch Problem

Hi all,

My pass. side window swicth has a problem, it can roll down, but can't roll back up. Fortunately, I can roll down/up from driver's side when it rains..

I would like to work on the switch during this vacation, but do you think that the problem is the pass. side switch or somewhere else? replace to new one?

Do you think it's easy job to fix this one or comes pricy???

Thanks!

-Ryu

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Liquid Silver (2007~2008)
1996 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl (2006~)
2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross (2005~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl White (2001~2005)
1994 Mercury Sable GS (1999~2001)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-29-2004, 12:02 PM

Mine did the same thing, and it was the switch. A new one costs under forty bucks and is easy to install. (Do a search.) Surely there's some way to salvage the existing switch, but I doubt it's worth the trouble.

dcb
Old 12-29-2004, 04:49 PM

Re: Window switch Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by SubaRyu
Hi all,

My pass. side window swicth has a problem, it can roll down, but can't roll back up. Fortunately, I can roll down/up from driver's side when it rains..

I would like to work on the switch during this vacation, but do you think that the problem is the pass. side switch or somewhere else? replace to new one?

Do you think it's easy job to fix this one or comes pricy???

Thanks!

-Ryu
Mine did that a couple of years ago and i was able to fix it myself. You will have to open the switch to make the fix.
When the button is pushed down / pulled up, a plastic "plunger" pushes down on a metal strip that makes contact with another metal strip. The tip of that plastic "plunger" seemed to have worn out and was not pushing the metal strip far enough. So i fixed it by sticking a slighly thick piece of plastic on the metal strip so that now the "plunger" is able to push down on the metal strip all the way to make contact with the metal strip below it.

Just be careful when you pry open the switch, these are all plastic parts that are quite brittle.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Domo Arigato

Re: Re: Window switch Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by rbalach

Mine did that a couple of years ago and i was able to fix it myself. You will have to open the switch to make the fix.
When the button is pushed down / pulled up, a plastic "plunger" pushes down on a metal strip that makes contact with another metal strip. The tip of that plastic "plunger" seemed to have worn out and was not pushing the metal strip far enough. So i fixed it by sticking a slighly thick piece of plastic on the metal strip so that now the "plunger" is able to push down on the metal strip all the way to make contact with the metal strip below it.

Just be careful when you pry open the switch, these are all plastic parts that are quite brittle.
Thank you very much in detail, I will check/fix my switch before my vacation is over...

-Ryu

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
Mine did the same thing, and it was the switch. A new one costs under forty bucks and is easy to install. (Do a search.) Surely there's some way to salvage the existing switch, but I doubt it's worth the trouble.

dcb
I got my trunk stays(struts) as used, but they didn't work. I should have gotten those parts as new. The switch is hard to tell if it's working or not when you get used one. I think I will check my switch first and if it's completely busted, I will get a new one.

Thanks!

-Ryu

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-30-2004, 10:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Window switch Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by SubaRyu

Thank you very much in detail, I will check/fix my switch before my vacation is over...

-Ryu
Hey Ryu,

Since i did this about 2yrs ago, i might have made a mistake in the way the switch works, but the procedure to fix is the same. I know for sure that the plastic "plunger" pushed on a metal strip. Can't remember if the metal strip was normally in contact with another strip and broke contact when the switch was used or the other way around (what i put in my previous post). Anyways, like i said the procedure to fix the problem is the same. I actually did this on two switches in my car and they have been working well ever since. Good luck
Old 12-30-2004, 11:40 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Try E-bay too, there is usually a new one there for sale.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel