Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-20-2004, 11:47 AM

Registered SVX
Showing my car ignorance... (Brake Fluid?)

Alright... So my brake light keeps going on and off at random times, so I've assumed I'm low on fluid...

Now.. I've found what I believe to be the area where I add more, it's about an inch above the minimum level... However... Is that tiny reservoir really where I add the fluid?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:04 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Yup, usually the BRAKE(!) light is triggered by the ABS sensors. Theres an ECU under the passenger seat that blinks a light for the code.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-20-2004, 12:22 PM
SVX Appeal

The brake light will also go off if there are loose connections. If topping off the fluid doesn't help, check all the brake lamps. Just because the bulbs work doesn't mean it's not a bad connection. Removing the bulbs and checking for corrosion is a good step to take if you're still having problems. Just removing them and reinserting will often fix it. In my car, the plug that goes onto the brake light switch on the pedal was loose. That was a head-scratcher.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:26 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
Yup, usually the BRAKE(!) light is triggered by the ABS sensors. Theres an ECU under the passenger seat that blinks a light for the code.
Okay.. Next question... I have no idea what was in it before.. If I use a synthetic that "exceeds D.O.T. 3 & 4 standards" and mix it with what's already in there...

Is this a bad thing?
Old 11-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

I know that you can't mix dot 3 and dot 5 as they are two totaly different stuffs and will do damage to the system if its not clean of the other. so yeah probably not the best of ideas.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 11-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
While DOT 3 and 4 are compatible with each other, they cannot be mixed with DOT 5 (silicone) brake fluid.

However, the answer lies in DOT 5.1 Synthetic Brake Fluid

It is an extra long life, 100% synthetic (non-silicone) fluid used for hydraulically actuated-brake and clutch systems. (It is based on Polyglycol chemistry).

DOT 5.1 non-silicone base brake fluid is a suitable upgrade from DOT 3 or DOT 4. Fluidity specially designed for anti-locking brake systems (ABS). It is fully compatible and miscible with conventional brake fluids. This version also has extra anti- corrosion additives that protect ferrous, white and yellow metal brake system components.

Typical service life up to 10 years for DOT 5.1 Extra Long Life Formula.

For a lot more information, check out the Syn-Lube website at http://www.synlube.com/brake.htm or search Google for DOT 5.1 brake fluid for other options.

Cost of the Synlube extra long life fluid is about $18.00 for a half liter bottle.

On a related note, for those who haven't seen it, here is the link to my simplified explanation of wet and dry boiling points of brake fluid.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...boiling+points

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 11-21-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:24 PM
One teal and One yellow

thanks for john's always quality and knowledgeable post....

my brake(!) light sometimes came on and off depending on the temp outside. if it's cold, the brake(!) is surely on even i released the e-brake. if it's warm outside, the brake(!) light will be disappeared. i think i read the brake fluid sensor is quite sensitive?

hmm, after i topped up my brake fluid to the max level, no more brake(!) light comes on anymore....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 11-22-2004, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
The brake light will also go off if there are loose connections. If topping off the fluid doesn't help, check all the brake lamps. Just because the bulbs work doesn't mean it's not a bad connection. Removing the bulbs and checking for corrosion is a good step to take if you're still having problems. Just removing them and reinserting will often fix it.
Actually, a problem with the bulbs (faulty connection or burnout) will illuminate the STOP LAMP indicator, not the BRAKE light. The latter lights only when the brake fluid level is low, or when the parking brake is set.

Someone mentioned that an ABS problem may trigger the BRAKE light. Not positive about this, but I think not. That's the job of the ABS warning light.

Top-off the master cylinder (and as it was low, watch the level in coming days and keep an eye out for a leak), perhaps disconnect and re-connect the leads to the sensor at the base of the master cylinder to ensure good contact, and chances are good the problem will be solved.

dcb
Old 11-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Thanks for the clarification Darrell. You're completely correct!
Old 11-23-2004, 01:24 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb

Actually, a problem with the bulbs (faulty connection or burnout) will illuminate the STOP LAMP indicator, not the BRAKE light. The latter lights only when the brake fluid level is low, or when the parking brake is set.

Someone mentioned that an ABS problem may trigger the BRAKE light. Not positive about this, but I think not. That's the job of the ABS warning light.

Top-off the master cylinder (and as it was low, watch the level in coming days and keep an eye out for a leak), perhaps disconnect and re-connect the leads to the sensor at the base of the master cylinder to ensure good contact, and chances are good the problem will be solved.

dcb

You are right.

As far as ABS is concerned, the ABS sensors trigger the ABS light, not the BRAKE light.

He may also want to check the condition of his brake pads. Low pads will cause a larger drop in brake fluid than normal causing a BRAKE light to come on when the brakes are used.

Dave
Old 11-23-2004, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
You are right.
Subaru experience to thank for that. It's cool that the car lets you know when a brake light bulb has blown.

Do any makes other than Subaru have a burned-out-brake-light-bulb indicator?

dcb
Old 11-23-2004, 10:29 PM
SVX Appeal

My bad. Those are different lights. Good call dcarrb.

ABS, Brake, and Stop Lamp; three brake-related indicators. The engine doesn't even have that many - just Check Engine and Oil. There really should be a temp light too, but maybe the Check Engine light performs that function. The gauge just doesn't jump out at you. Too hard to miss.

I guess being able to stop is pretty important though.
Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
Do any makes other than Subaru have a burned-out-brake-light-bulb indicator?
Yes. Ford has them. Some of their Crown Victoria's come with that option. When your brake lights are out, these reeeeeeeally bright lights come on, but they're hidden in the rear view mirror.