SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 08:22 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
a note about tranny cooler placement

I've been searching a lot on this just to see what people here have to say about the placement of the aux cooler. mostly I was looking for info on thermostats. I dealt a lot with tranny coolers when I had my Impreza, since I did rallycross a few times. Temps tend to run fairly hot when you rallycross regardless of wether it's a WRX or a lowly EJ25 powered Impreza.

I'm all for placing the aux cooler before the radiator cooler. It's been mentioned how well this works in cooler weather for keeping the temps up by reheating the fluid to the proper temperature. There were two points I didn't see directly brought up so I thought I'd add my input for the record.

1) Some people advocate completely removing the water (radiator) cooler alltogether. I would strongly reccommend against this. The main reason being that water has several times the heat capacity of air. around 8 times the heat capacity IIRC. I might be wrong on the exact number, but it is several times that of air. This means it will absorb a LOT more heat than air. it will cool the fluid much more quickly even if it's diffusing the heat into 160 degree water instead of 80 degree air.

2) more importantly, heat transfer is directly proportional to the difference in temperature between the hot and the cold side of a system. so the hotter the fluid is in the aux cooler, the more heat it will transfer out of the system. basically, it will work more efficiently if it's before the radiator than if it's after. given a fluid temp of 220*, more heat will leave the system if it flows through the aux cooler first then the water cooler. The heat transfer process is already very fast in the water cooler since the heat capacity is so much greater than air, so considering differences in temperature for its placement in the system is less important.

basically, the air cooler depends more on temperature difference for a fast reaction, and a water cooler relies more on it's heat capacity for absorbing heat. So, leaving the water cooler in is strongly advisable, and placing the aux cooler in front of the water cooler is optimal.

that's all I got. hopefully some of it is new info, or at least explicitly stating what's only been implied before, and not just me neglecting to search hard enough . I got this stupid degree in physics, and I've used it more on modding/maintaining my cars than I have in the job world

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k

Last edited by IggDawg; 05-26-2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I was thinking baout re-routing my cooler anyway.
Now I have another reason to do it.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have an updated radiator in my 92 and a temp gauge. Maybe I'll hook up the radiator tranny heater section sometime and see what kind of temps I get.

I have a good baseline of about 3 years of data on my current setup of 2 aux coolers and bypassed radiator cooler so I should be able to provide some solid numbers for comparison.

One note for all with 92/93's. Do not trust the cooler in the radiator if you have a stock original radiator - the mesh screen in the cooler clogs up and starves the tranny of fluid which will kill it.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Snickers

Is there any way to tell which radiator I have? I've only had my '93 a few months.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Unless the foam attached to the top of the radiator looks brand new I would assume you have the original radiator at only 51k miles.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:24 PM
Snickers

Thanks, I think it is the original radiator. I bypassed the stock cooler. I've been getting temps no higher than 170 degrees with the "bellypan" removed.