How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-14-2003, 11:38 PM
Breck SVX

civic

Anyone here had a civic hatchback ever? Thats what i'm considering if my SVX sells. I just cant afford repairs on my car, its running great now but if the windsheild ever breaks or something i'll be screwed. Anyway any constructive impressions would be appreciated, sans the ones involving the word "ricey."

-Alex
Old 12-15-2003, 08:12 AM
SVX26517

ask Kurt_W, he knows I have nothing against Hondas now, I guess hiding to like them grows on you
Old 12-15-2003, 10:07 AM

What year are you looking at getting? I've had 3 Honda CRXs (88 HF, 89 Si, 91 Si) and my GF has an 88 Si. I've also had an 83 Civic 1500, but I doubt you're looking that far back.

They're great cars... fun to drive, very reliable, and lots of aftermarket support. Also fairly cheap to repair. I had to replace the windshield on my 89 Si earlier this year, and it only cost me $160 installed.

The biggest thing to watch for is the timing belt... make sure it gets changed every 60k miles. If it breaks, you're looking at rebuilding the head at the very least, and possible a new engine. That's the reason mine's running with a B16 now

The 92+ models have even more options and are easier to modify, but I've never owned one so I can't really say much more.

92 SVX - Sold
98 BMW M3 Sedan
89 Honda CRX Si w/B16 swap
91 Honda CRX Si
Old 12-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: civic

Quote:
Originally posted by Breck SVX
its running great now but if the windsheild ever breaks or something i'll be screwed.
-Alex
Insurance?

Mike
Old 12-15-2003, 01:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I have never owned one but have family and coworkers that have. They are fantastic little cars. They run like tops, parts are inexpensive and plentiful. Just get one that has been well maintained and has as little rust as possible. If it clears your mechanic's inspection you'd be hard put to be making a mistake in buying it.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:19 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Like Shoden, I've had my fair share of Hondas at this point. 86, 89, 90, 91 CRXs, 92 Prelude, 2x 93 Civic hatchbacks...one was a Si (which I prefer) and the other was a CX (I still have this one, its modifed a bit...) They have all been great cars..some better then others but anyway...lean toward EX and Si trim levels as they have the most powerful engines. If you plan on doing an engine swap or something like that and can live with fewer goodies, the DX's and others are ok. I don't know what year your looking for, but if its 88-91 (4th gen), then you have 3 level options: STD (~70hp - barebones w/ 4 speed manual tranny), DX (92hp - still pretty bare), Si (108hp - sunroof, etc). With the 92-95 (5th gen) hatch, then you have 4 level options: CX (70hp - barebones), VX (92hp - some little goodies like alloy wheels), DX (102hp - seems to be the most common level), Si (125hp - sunroof, power mirrors, rear speakers, etc.) I'm not real knowledgeble of the 96-00 (6th gen) hatch, but I think it came in CX and DX forms, with no more then 108hp in the DX.

Primary issues to be aware of is rust, timing belt replacement (as Shoden said), rust, CV joints, rust, accidents and finally rust. Did I mention rust, its a major problem.

Parts are cheap and plentiful. 90-95 civics are becoming prevalent in junkyards. Many parts are interchangeble within the same generation, while some parts are also transferable between generations (particularly 5th and 6th gens.)

Expect to pay under $3000 for a decent 4th gen Si in original condition...you might also be able to find decent modifed ones for under $4000. 5th gen Si's go for $3500-5500 in good original condition while modified ones go for as much as $10,000. 6th gen hatchs are more expensive, but again, I'm not particularly aware of the details on them.

Good luck with whichever you pick, as they are all great cars. Cheap to own, easy and cheap to maintain, handle well even if they don't floor you with high power (though that can easily be fixed with $$.)
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 12-15-2003, 07:06 PM
Breck SVX

Re: Re: civic

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Insurance?

Mike
Inwhatance?
Old 12-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Green1995SVX

I thought most (all?) states require you to have full glass coverage. Maybe that's my mistake. Regardless, I have that on my policy. At the cost of a SVX windshield, it would be foolish to not have it insured.

Mike
Old 12-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Breck SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
I thought most (all?) states require you to have full glass coverage. Maybe that's my mistake. Regardless, I have that on my policy. At the cost of a SVX windshield, it would be foolish to not have it insured.

Mike
I can barely afford insurance to begin with. I'm not sure about glass in CO but every conversation i've had with someone about their windshield has included something along the lines of "buying a new windshield" which would lead me to believe that may not be the case here...I think I may have given a bad example with the glass though...its just in general repairs are a lot more than they would be for another car. Something that isn't exactly a news flash to anyone here.
ex. alternator for svx=around $200 for a refurbished one
alternator for a civic=around $70 for a refurbished one
I hope to get an SVX later in life when its more practical and affordable, but right now it just doesnt seem like the best fit for a struggling/broke college student

-Alex

Last edited by Breck SVX; 12-16-2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W
I've had my fair share of Hondas at this point. 86, 89, 90, 91 CRXs, 92 Prelude, 2x 93 Civic hatchbacks...
So why have you had so many of them??

We've only needed ONE Justy since 1988!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:

I hope to get an SVX later in life when its more practical and affordable, but right now it just doesnt seem like the best fit for a struggling/broke college student

-Alex
You wouldn't be the first college student to come to that conclusion, Alex. I hope you find something which fits your life a little better and serves you well.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-17-2003, 08:10 PM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
So why have you had so many of them??

We've only needed ONE Justy since 1988!
Lol, Actually, I had the 89 CRX Si as my daily driver for about 3 years before I parked it. (Wrecked)

I get bored with cars pretty quick, or I run across good deals on cars that I can't pass up. I rescued 2 of the CRXs and the Prelude from early deathes. One CRX was a repo, the other a theif recovery and the Prelude was a deep sea diver (i.e. flood victim.)
The Civic Si was a winter car that I picked up while my old Impreza was in the body shop and had the SVX apart. Generally one car would get sold to pay for another. *shrug*
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 12-17-2003, 09:05 PM
SVX26517

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W

Lol, Actually, I had the 89 CRX Si as my daily driver for about 3 years before I parked it. (Wrecked)

I get bored with cars pretty quick, or I run across good deals on cars that I can't pass up. I rescued 2 of the CRXs and the Prelude from early deathes. One CRX was a repo, the other a theif recovery and the Prelude was a deep sea diver (i.e. flood victim.)
The Civic Si was a winter car that I picked up while my old Impreza was in the body shop and had the SVX apart. Generally one car would get sold to pay for another. *shrug*

Help me find a honda then, lol, I kinda almost wrecked the Volare on Rt. 31 Out past Williamstown going near Waverly there where it meets with Rt.2 Woo hoo RWD+Ice=bad
Old 12-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Superbeast

Blah, Civics. Cheap and reliable, I hate them.

You can't go wrong with a Civic. But like you've been told, if you're not sure change the T-belt. It's the only ticking bomb on a Honda. That and the tranny might let go around 250K.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:22 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
Quote:

I can barely afford insurance to begin with. I'm not sure about glass in CO but every conversation i've had with someone about their windshield has included something along the lines of "buying a new windshield" which would lead me to believe that may not be the case here...I think I may have given a bad example with the glass though...its just in general repairs are a lot more than they would be for another car.
-Alex
glass coverage is not required in colorado and not even available from some insurance companies. i used to have farmers and i had a glass deductible of $100. currently, i use american family and my agent told me glass coverage was not available. i carry a $1000 comprehensive deductible on all my cars. my claret has a cracked windshield that i won't replace until i absolutley have to. it's a good thing for my pocketbook that colorado doesn't have a safety inspection.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: