How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-30-2003, 08:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
Unhappy Power steering rack leak!!11111

My mechanic said my car needs a new power steering rack because mine is leaking, but not alot. My questions are:
How crucial is the power steering rack? I'm thinking of holding off for a few weeks, until I get the money together. Can I still drive my car with the power steering rack leaking?
Has any one here ever replaced the power steering rack before? if so, How much did you pay?

Thank you for nay information.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:26 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Liberty Subaru gets there racks re-maned from Valley Rebuilders in Spring Valley, NY 845-356-1125 $289 to rebuild yours, 3 to 4 days for the work and none currently in stock.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:42 AM
92SvxChick

PS Leak

SVXgarcia,

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem as me. I have been planning on changing my PS Rack as it leaks a bit. I have been driving it this was for a few months with no problems. I keep up on the PS fluid always making sure I have it full.

svx_commuter...thank you for the re-maned info... I will have to check that out. I have not replaced mine as I didn't want to buy a used one from a junk yard and have it have the same leaking as mine.. But then again I didn't really want to spend $700 for a new one from Subaru either.

Good Luck,
Megan
Old 01-30-2003, 03:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXgarcia
thanks

Thank you for your fast response,

What exactly do they do to the rack to rebuild it? and does any one know why they brake?
Old 01-30-2003, 06:37 PM
dma528

SVXgarcia,

My rack has been leaking since i have owned my svx (about 4 years now) and the leak has gotten worse in the past few months & really gets my attetion now. Anyway if the rebuild is anything like they were on the older xt6's they will replace all the bushings that are through out the internals of the rack. When I worked at the dealership we had about a half dozen subaru specialty tools and specific rebuild kits for each different model. Consequently I have been very cautious with the idea of doing anything with mine. About a week agoe I posted a simallar question and herd a lot about the ps pump or the ps plumbing being the cause of the leak so i am very curious to see waht you come up with.

Good luck
--Adam

1994 SVX-L FWD
Intake, Lowered, and full Duals to come<!>
Old 01-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Power Steering Rack

There are at least 2 different types of racks for the SVX and maybe 3. Must match the type of power steering pump and
TCU. I just bought a new one (still in Subaru packing) for $150 last month on Ebay.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXgarcia
Thank you for your fast response,

What exactly do they do to the rack to rebuild it? and does any one know why they brake?
There are a couple things that can go wrong. Either an accident or a giant pothole can bow the rack slightly and cause a leak (rare.) Most likely it has just worn out. Everything eventaully wears out, just like people. Some of us go sooner than others.

Usually all it takes is a seal kit. I've rebuilt dozens of Jags and Hondas, but now most everything is available factory rebuilt for less than my labor, so... If you're mechanically inclined and don't mind very messy jobs, go for it. It's not the easiest job but it ain't brain surgery either.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:21 AM

I have rebuilt mine, with a limited success so to speak. The reason why I was rebuilding it was the vibration at low speed/standing plus a smallish leak.

Vibration turned out to be caused by wear patterns on the internal walls of the rack cylinder. I only replaced the seals on the cylinder. It feels a bit better, but not as a new one.

The leak turned out to be in the steering gearbox - it takes
another seal kit and lots of pressing to do it.

Supposedly there are rebuilt racks available at cheap parts stores for under $200 - those might be a better way to go if
you have lots of miles and multiple problems with your rack.
Even if you have to replace it couple of times, because the first one is no good, still it will be faster then disassembly, honing, pressing etc.