Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-09-2001, 11:03 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
Anyone have a favorite tranny cooler and pics/instructions on howand where to install one?

I dont want to buy one at pepboys that doest fit and have to return it.

I also figure I should do this before any other modsm
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 03-20-2001, 07:47 PM
zsvx

Question more questions

Do a search on Yahoo for tranny cooler then come back and read the rest of this post .

I was just searching around and I found a lot of nice ideas on what transmission coolers to use and where to mount them but I could not find anyone agreeing on anything. Is putting the tranny cooler in front of the radiator just as good as the other various places people were mounting them? It also seemed like no one could agree on whether to put the cooler in series with the stock cooler or bypass it all together. If putting it in series is the way to go can I assume it would come after the Subaru cooler?

It also sounded like the main reason for installing an aftermarket cooler is because the Subaru one tends to get clogged after a while. I got a new radiator about 6 months ago (it was cracked) along with the external transmission filter replaced and the ATF changed. Should I still consider putting in an aftermarket cooler?
Old 03-20-2001, 08:21 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Have you considered putting the cooler in parallel with the existing cooler? I don't think you want to put them in series. If the stock cooler plugs, then your aftermarket cooler becomes useless. And why bypass the stock cooler, and thus lose whatever cooling it has to offer, if you bypass it completely.

I've just finished installing the B&M auxillary filter and transmission temperature gauge. After I've collected enough temperature data, I plan on installing a B&M cooler. When the cooler does go in, it will be in parallel.

Just my take on the subject.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:22 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
sure do

B&M Supercooler #70268 is the biggest and best cooler you can fit aft the radiator.....very strongly recamended. ITs for vehicles 19000-24000 lbs! Make sure you partially cover it up oin winter though, the tranny does need some heat.
phast
Old 03-20-2001, 10:37 PM
zsvx

Question more questions

Quote:
Originally posted by svxter
Have you considered putting the cooler in parallel with the existing cooler?
Yes. Here is my problem: I read one post from aredubjay on Yahoo saying his is installed parallel because thats the best way to go, then the next post I read from blonde_man says basically "no way, you get less flow that way". Which is right? You guys wanna come to this thread and duke it out?

Quote:
I don't think you want to put them in series. If the stock cooler plugs, then your aftermarket cooler becomes useless.
I agree 100%.

Quote:
And why bypass the stock cooler, and thus lose whatever cooling it has to offer, if you bypass it completely.
Do we know if one of these B&M deals can handle our transmissions without the stock cooler? If not you have another valid argument.

Quote:
I've just finished installing the B&M auxillary filter and transmission temperature gauge. After I've collected enough temperature data, I plan on installing a B&M cooler. When the cooler does go in, it will be in parallel.

Just my take on the subject.
Your take is much appreciated. I would love to see some temperature readings too when you get a chance.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:46 PM
zsvx

Thumbs up Re: sure do

Quote:
Originally posted by Phast SVX
B&M Supercooler #70268 is the biggest and best cooler you can fit aft the radiator.....very strongly recamended. ITs for vehicles 19000-24000 lbs! Make sure you partially cover it up oin winter though, the tranny does need some heat.
phast
Excellent. I'm gonna go poke around under the hood tomorrow before I buy one but that sounds like a good set up. Do you think it would be worth it to get a perma-cool one with the built in fan? (they seem to be 3x the price of the B&M coolers!)
Old 03-20-2001, 11:09 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Just to clarify: My tranny rebuilder was the one who recommended the parallel set-up. This guy's in his latter 40's and he's the third generation owner of the shop that his grandfather started and his dad passed down to him. I asked him about the flow loss -- he said that any flow loss would be negligible.

My experience is, that the cooler must be doing its job. After installation, I noticed that it took longer for the TC to kick in (engages when tranny fluid reaches 50 degrees F). I could set my clock by it on the way to work in the morning. I would feel it kick in about five miles down the road. After installation, I was almost finished with my 40 mile trek to work before it kicked in. If flow was being restricted, the temp would rise quicker and the TC would kick in sooner. So, I figure the expertise of a lifetime tranny man will negate the shade tree modifier any day of the week. But then, that's only my opinion.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-20-2001, 11:29 PM
zsvx

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info aredubjay. Just to aid in my on going quest for transmission info: what cooler did you get and where is it mounted?

Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:43 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I can't remember what kind of cooler it is. It is small and mounted just behind the air dam, in front of the AC condensor. It gets full air from the opening in the bottom of the air dam. Good luck in your quest.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-21-2001, 02:57 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

Unhappy My info

I have some info on this, I will post it tonight when I have more time.
Old 03-21-2001, 03:18 PM
KEVINL

Me and kastle have Hayden tranny coolers sandwiched between the A/C condensor and the radiator. Which allows for a very large tranny cooler. I don't like to run it to the radiator A good sized tranny cooler is more than adequate and does not need to be run through the radiator
Old 03-21-2001, 03:36 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Re: more questions

Quote:
Originally posted by zsvx
I would love to see some temperature readings too when you get a chance.
As soon as I have collected enough temp data for them to have some meaning, I will be delighted to post them. I'm recording tranny temp, ambient temp and some notes on driving conditions (speed, duration, hills, flats, in-town, highway, etc.) I'll pull all this together in a few weeks. My only wish is that the meter that comes in the B&M kit had a little finer gradations on the dial. I may have to figure out a more precise dial of some sort.

i'll be sure to post the results.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 03-21-2001, 03:59 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have the perma cool with fan as well as the B&M - I got the perma cool after running with just the B&M for a while and watching the temp gauge sit at high temps in stop and go traffic. If you live in a hot climate you should really look into getting the fan. I do not need the fan turned on under about 65 degrees ambient temp but above that the tranny will get hot. The stock cooler is bypassed. Pictures in my yahoo briefcase.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-21-2001, 04:38 PM
zsvx

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
...I got the perma cool after running with just the B&M for a while and watching the temp gauge sit at high temps in stop and go traffic...
What was the difference sitting idle with just the B&M compared to the stock cooler? Where did you get your temp gauge? I'm considering installing one of those too.
Old 03-21-2001, 05:53 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I got the B&M and temp gauge and filter kit from summit. The filter kit is summit with a purolator pure one filter, the temp gauge is autometer. There is a hole tapped in the filter kit housing for the temp gauges sending unit. I ordered the perma cool direct from Perma-cool. Jegs also sells them.

When I first installed I had the stock cooler in series with the B&M and the temps were bad. Very hot, I dont rememebr how hot but it was ugly. A short ride would rocket the temp past 200. Keep in mind that that is in SC this past summer and it is normally 85 degrees out. It got better bypassing the stock cooler but would still get hot in traffic.

The B&M alone did not reduce the temperature much when stopped. If it was at 205 when the light turned red it might be down to 200 when its time to go. There is hardly any airflow with just the stock A/C fan pulling air through the radiator and condenser. With the B&M and the perma cool it does still produce heat but it will quickly drop in temp either when cruising with torque converter locked or when at a traffic light stopped with the fan running. You will be amazed to watch the temp gauge rocket on a slow -torque converter unlocked and spinning up tons of friction - launch. The tranny produces less heat if you floor it and get up to speed quickly. The highest temp I have seen lately is 180 on a 70 degree day. Last weekend I drove to Pennsylvania at average speeds of 80- 100 through Va and W.Va and the temp stayed around 150 about the entire time - up and down the mountains, but the outside temp was about 45 and I was going fast enough that the torque converter didn't unlock on the steep hill climbs. A B&M alone would be fine if you could drive fast all day and never have to stop for a light.

The fact is that these are all band-aids and the real solution is the valve body mod which I will surely have done if this tranny ever takes a dirt nap, but for my money and peace of mind there is no way I would go without a tranny cooler w/ fan in a warm climate on a stock tranny.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 03-21-2001 at 06:48 PM.