Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2017, 02:56 PM

GC/Koni vs. newer coilovers - do they exist?

Hi All, I've been away from modding my SVX for the last 10 years. So I'm totally out of the loop. Now I've got a new paint job on my 96, and getting it back on the road. The big question I have is:

Have any manufacturers come out with a good bolt on coilover setup? I'm in possession of the whole Ground Control / Koni kit that I bought 10+ years ago from Porter, but there's a lot of wacky work involved for the mod...as I'm sure some of you more than know. I have a mechanic willing to work at a reasonable price, but it's still going to suck vs. a bolt on setup if any exist.

Thoughts/recommendations?
Old 04-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: GC/Koni vs. newer coilovers - do they exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subezealot View Post
Hi All, I've been away from modding my SVX for the last 10 years. So I'm totally out of the loop. Now I've got a new paint job on my 96, and getting it back on the road. The big question I have is:

Have any manufacturers come out with a good bolt on coilover setup? I'm in possession of the whole Ground Control / Koni kit that I bought 10+ years ago from Porter, but there's a lot of wacky work involved for the mod...as I'm sure some of you more than know. I have a mechanic willing to work at a reasonable price, but it's still going to suck vs. a bolt on setup if any exist.

Thoughts/recommendations?
I've heard good things about the AMRs and the Ceika although the shipping may be slow.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-07-2017, 04:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

I can only speak on the koni/gc set up. Having had that set up, I deeply regret having ever gone that route. Suspension is all a matter of personal preference. for me that ride was much too harsh. I don't take my svx to the track. Normal driving, about town and on the highway i felt every single bump, pebble in the road. Not to mention what a pain in the ass if something goes wrong. One of the hex bolts for the gc collars got stripped, had to take it to a shop to do some r&r and work with the guy from gc to get the bolts. All in all it was quite a headache and money wasted.

I now have dayles motorsport springs with the stock struts. I've been very happy with those those far. Maintaining the stock strut mounts dampens things and helps to keep a ride somewhat similar to stock.

As sean said, i've heard a lot of good things about the AMRs. Although they are one of the more expensive options, you'll be saving your money in the long run regardless of your intentions (aggressive or stock ride quality).
Old 04-08-2017, 09:54 AM

Registered SVX

There are a few differnt options for coil overs now, and you can order softer or harsher spring rates for your driving needs, Harsher for track, but most people would prefer the softer street coilovers. check out www.svxnation.com
Old 04-12-2017, 01:00 PM

This is extremely helpful, thank you for the response. My gut keeps telling me to pass on installing the GC/Koni setup because I wouldn't be driving the car aggressively or tracking it. Maybe I can find a buyer who would take these off my hands so I can free up a bit of cash to do something else. I see AMR has their offering in stock. Giving that some consideration.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

there was a member here or on fb that had the amrs tuned to stock like settings. although a bit stiffer, the guy seemed very happy.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Registered SVX

Andy at AMR reached out to me on Facebook and asked me to let everyone know he is discounting prices on the coil overs.

USE the Discount code amrsvxdiscount