Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 12-06-2016, 12:10 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

Re: the newest thing NOT HID / but LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
Just because you can sell it, does not mean it is legal to install and run. You can sell catalytic converter deletes, and O2 sensor simulators, and other emissions system delete pieces. However removing or tampering with ANY emissions systems on a car is a federal crime and illegal.

Not to knock your business or website, but being allowed to sell something, and being allowed to install and run something are two completely different things.

I personally wish they were harder on inspections with HID and other headlight mods. Where I live about 70% of the crappy cars here and 90% of the trucks all have blue HID kits installed in reflector housing headlights, and fog lights, and make it hell to drive at night.

The only CORRECT way (still not technically legal) to install HIDs is to actually retrofit an HID projector housing into a headlight. Even installing HIDs into a halogen projector does not give the correct light output because the optics in the projector were designed for a halogen bulb.
Dude, you are an idiot to put it bluntly...
the only way they are LEGAL is if they where DOT approved, due to cost get get something made DOT legal. If its never challenged by local authorities then people will keep buying and selling them, hence what we do. Since we dont sell the colorful ones ie 8k or or higher, we have never put our customers at risk of getting a ticket or fine in 13+ yrs, me personally or our customers.

The HOUSING as you put it, has zero to do with it. Dont try to hijack my thread if you dont know what you are talking about . The simple problem with any forum out there.

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 12-06-2016, 09:53 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsport-SVX View Post
Dude, you are an idiot to put it bluntly...
the only way they are LEGAL is if they where DOT approved, due to cost get get something made DOT legal.
D00d, you are more wrong than you know. Stick to selling cheap dash overlays, oversized exhaust tips and BS performance upgrades, because you are obviously a better salesperson than engineer.

Even if these PnP companies had deep pockets and were willing to go through the DOT certification process, they would fail. Not because they didn't have the money to "pay" for a certification, but because the PHYSICS behind it are all screwed up.

Quote:
If its never challenged by local authorities then people will keep buying and selling them, hence what we do. Since we dont sell the colorful ones ie 8k or or higher, we have never put our customers at risk of getting a ticket or fine in 13+ yrs, me personally or our customers.
Like Tireiron said, just because there is no law against selling them, doesn't mean its legal to install them. You can buy and sell guns, but you can't use them on people, same idea; legal to sell, but not necessarily legal to use on the highway.

Also, police are more interested in doing actual police work vs. chasing around some kid in a civic for installing illegal HIDs in his first car... The color has nothing to do with the legality or safety of the HID kit, I'll say it again, IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THE PHYSICAL GEOMETRY OF THE BULB AND THE HOUSING.

Quote:
The HOUSING as you put it, has zero to do with it. Dont try to hijack my thread if you dont know what you are talking about. The simple problem with any forum out there.
Which brings us back to this asinine statement. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about and deserve to be hijacked for aiding and abetting in the purchase and installation of OFF-HIGHWAY equipment onto road-going vehicles.

Do us all a favor, study up and stop embarrassing yourself by making sophomoric posts about topics you don't understand.

This is a great source that accurately explains the problem with PnP HID/LED kits.

Quote:
The most dangerous part of the attempt to "retrofit" Xenon headlamps is that sometimes you get a deceptive and illusory "improvement" in the performance of the headlamp. The performance of the headlamp is perceived to be "better" because of the much higher level of foreground lighting (on the road immediately in front of the car). However, the beam patterns produced by this kind of "conversion" virtually always give less distance light, and often an alarming lack of light where there's meant to be a relative maximum in light intensity. The result is the illusion that you can see better than you actually can, and that's not safe.

Last edited by SoobCrazy; 12-06-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:16 AM
check out www.planetsvx.com

When you actually know what you are talking about
Ill listen, till then go take a hike
Your name says it all ..Crazy

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 12-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Because of the direction this thread has taken in the past 36 hours, it is on the definite fast-track to being locked and deleted. This is considered a verbal warning.

"Flames and baiting members are not acceptable. Posts like these will be deleted and offenders will be warned."

"The SVX World Network is a 'community. As in all communities, there will be disagreements. However, if we are to peacefully coexist, we ask that disagreements be either worked out in a civil manner, ormembers who disagree, agree to disagree. This community” is unlike any other, in that the members seem to be able to get along without bravado and a need for “one-upsmanship.”

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 12-07-2016, 08:05 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Because of the direction this thread has taken in the past 36 hours, it is on the definite fast-track to being locked and deleted. This is considered a verbal warning..
Thank you, noted.

Quote:
When you actually know what you are talking about
Ill listen, till then go take a hike
Your name says it all ..Crazy
I work as a vehicle design engineer for a major North American vehicle manufacturer. I LITERALLY wrote the book on our lighting systems and what best practices our customers should follow to ensure maximum SAFE, LEGAL output.

You can bury your head as deep in the sand as you'd like, but you will still be wrong on this topic. No amount of tears or tantrums will change the physical laws of the universe...

Nice name-jab by the way. (What is this, kindergarten? )
Quote:
The simple problem with any forum out there.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

LED may be the way of the future, but I have not been impressed with anything I have seen so far, even on the newest cars The US has very minimum standards for lighting compared to the rest of the world. When I see more of something like what Audi produces, then I will really be impressed.

"Audi is revealing the headlights of its new R8 as the first of a number of technology highlights of the top sports car. The R8 uses LED headlights which can be supplemented by a laser high‑beam lighting module as an option.

The new R8 will set new standards among high‑performance sports cars – including in its lighting technology. As an option, the latest car development by Audi can be equipped with a laser spot as the high‑beam headlight.

The special appeal of laser lighting is that it uses high‑intensity laser diodes, which generate a lot of light energy from a very small component.

Compared to LED high‑beam headlights, laser high‑beams attain nearly twice the lighting range.

Each headlight contains one laser module that operates with four high‑intensity laser diodes. This module bundles the four intense blue‑light laser beams. Then a phosphor converter transforms the blue light into pure white light.

An identifying characteristic of the laser headlights is their blue light signature. Standard equipment in the new R8 includes an LED headlight system. All lighting functions are produced with 37 LEDs per headlight.

The laser spot for the high‑beam light made its debut in the summer of 2014 in the Audi R8"

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 12-07-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The only LEDs on my polo are in the center grille. During the day they function as a legal DRL. At night they further aid in the visibility to be seen. Maryland does not consider it an actual "light", so at night it does not violate the 4-light rule (low and high beams or low and fogs)

The state police don't even seem to mind that I have no amber running lights. They only come on as turn signals. ON-OFF-ON-OFF seems to be more noticeable then DIM-BRIGHT-DIM-BRIGHT

And since opinions matter here, I think Daniel Stern is not always the lighting guru that many think he is. Daniel Stern, like Howard Stern, is someone I find entertaining, sometimes enlightening and often times obnoxious. Both may raise valid points and may have some element of truth in what they say. But I don't take everything they say all that seriously.

When you spend time in Europe, you will see just how pathetic the U.S. lighting laws are, especially when it comes to things like glare. I have driven SVX's under the ECE standard and it is a world of difference. Every country in the world has this superior standard, except for the US, Canada and Mexico.

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature...n_Lights.shtml

Just my opinion.

Last edited by svxcess; 12-08-2016 at 12:35 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

And I thought I was going to learn something new on this one.. O well
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX View Post
And I thought I was going to learn something new on this one.. O well
If you've spent any time on this forum and have an ounce of technical savvy, you'd know the Motorsports Warehouse isn't REALLY in the business of design, R&D or bringing to market ground-breaking new parts for the SVX.

They're in the business of making money.