How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-18-2002, 02:05 PM
$VX

Transmission Gauges 101: I'm clueless.

Alright, I found out that my SVX has a tranny cooler (cool! HA), but I'd really like to get a temperature gauge. My question is this: Why couldn't you just take apart the dash and use the wires that go to the 'transmission warning' light to hook up a gauge? Is this controlled by some other circuitboard so it just registers on/off? Where is it getting hte information from; ie, where is the transmissions temperature sensor, and how can I hook that up to a guage?

- Ca$h
Old 09-18-2002, 02:17 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Gauge and warning light

I think someone had mentioned this idea earlier except someone replied that the gauge sensor was actually deep within the transmission. I suppose if your rebuilding it you could do it easily enough but if not it'd be quite tough. Problem with the warning light area is that if I'm not mistaken it also houses the FWD light (at least I think there is something else there) so you wouldn't want to take it out and put a gauge in the spot. I guess its a matter of preference but I would prefer an acutal gauge over an "idiot" light anyday. You get to learn what heats it up, what cools it down and can kinda follow the temp for your ATF changing needs. A light just comes on when it reaches a certain temp. You won't know if it keeps climbing or not. Any temp about 170 is not considered normal operating temp according to the owner's manual so you want to watch any movement above that area. If you program the light to come on at 170 though you'll be burning that bulb out in no time.