Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-10-2002, 08:15 PM

Matt,

The wiring diagram for the power feed shows the fusible link and four fuses that are fed before the power begins to branch out further. My reading of the diagram shows nothing that isn't protected by a fuse or the link. The fuses not protected by the link are under the hood in the fuse/relay box and labeled SBF 3, 4, 5, and SBF (ABS).

If the guy is paying, then don't sweat it, but if you are going to attempt this yourself - you WILL need the actual diagrams in your hands, a volt-ohm meter, and $25 (I think) for a year's subscription to Alldata - which will get you the diagrams along with voltage/ohm readings for a lot of the connections.

One final caution. I have rewired one car in my life - a 67 Vette - wiring loom burnt as it sat in the garage. I'd never do it again.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
<<Yes, a mouse would be the suspect.>>
Ron,
When you catch him, just make sure your little tiny handcuffs aren't made of aluminum.

I plan to use little tie-rats.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:07 PM

Registered SVX
Matt, whatever you do donÕt panic, take your time and do some research and you will learn a lot.

But do not invest in this car until you are positive in regard to what you could lay yourself open to in the way of ongoing costs. There have been several worthwhile posts along these lines.

However it is not conclusive that vast damage has occurred. As Lee has correctly pointed out the electrical distribution system is well designed and everything is protected by means of a fuse. It is unlikely that there is loom damage other than most likely leads to the alternator or other power wiring protected only by the fusible link.

Unexplained strange happenings will most likely be the result of damage to the electronic management systems rather low current wiring problems.

Do not start pulling the dash apart etc. The fusible link went open therefore the original problem must have been confined to the high power circuitry only and most probably the alternator. Do not stuff about, locate this problem first.

( Aside for Ron ---- The fusible link is just a name given to the first and major fuse in the system which protects high current power items. It is usually designed and comprises material so as to take a set ratio of time/current to melt so that high inrush currents are tolerated but a fault of some duration which could cause damage will be interrupted. )

As Lee has pointed out you are not involved in rocket science but you must proceed in a logical manner, not just look and hope to find something, or worse take the modern ÒexpertsÓ approach of keep replacing everything suspect until the problem rights itself. Good business only if you are making a profit on parts.

Giving advice from the other side of the planet has its problems ! But you can see that you have willing helpers but report logically on your findings so that we may be of worthwhile help,

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 09-11-2002, 10:15 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

I plan to use little tie-rats.

Ron.
Is that anything like Thai sticks?
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-11-2002, 12:02 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
He told me that a fusible link wire is made of aluminum & will burn faster than copper, although I don't know why they just don't provide a true fuse instead.
Ron.
It is the fuse, the wire is the fuse but it doesn't have the outer wrapping on it. It will blow at a much higher amp rating. They don't make fuses as high as the link rating, may be the reason.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

It is the fuse, the wire is the fuse but it doesn't have the outer wrapping on it. It will blow at a much higher amp rating. They don't make fuses as high as the link rating, may be the reason.

This wire, approximately 22-24 gauge, DID have an orange sheath, & looked like any other wire. "Fusible link" was printed on the sheath.
(cars should have re-setable circuit breakers, like houses)!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.