Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-03-2002, 11:43 AM

stutter????

i was in the parking lot with a few friends last night. i had my car running all lights on with my stereo (400 watt amp with no power caps) going. then all of a sudden, the cd stopped, so i thought it was a skip....then i tried to make the stereo go again...and it wouldn't. then i shut the car off then tried to restart it. it wouldn't restart. i had to jump the car. since then she has started fine. i am thinking it is a dead cell in the battery.... what do you guys think?

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-04-2002, 06:27 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

If the car was off I would say the stereo drained the battery. If it does not happen agian forget about it.

Unless you need peace of mind then get the battery / altenator checked out.

John
Old 09-04-2002, 06:37 AM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Almost the exact same thing happened to my friend 2 nights ago. We jumped it twice, got about a mile down, and his car would die again. It ended up being the alternator. We replaced it for $78, and we installed it ourselves. Gotta love Chevy.

*$78 for an alternator? WTF?*
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 09-04-2002, 07:20 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana
Almost the exact same thing happened to my friend 2 nights ago. We jumped it twice, got about a mile down, and his car would die again. It ended up being the alternator. We replaced it for $78, and we installed it ourselves. Gotta love Chevy.

*$78 for an alternator? WTF?*
My cav used to eat alternators about once a month. I paid $42 once and got one with a lifetime warranty from autozone, then just kept taking it back. That is untill I depleted the entire inventory in their region. Then I went and had a custom high amp alternator made for around $100. Like you said, Gotta love Chevy.

M

PS- I got so i could change the alternator in that car in 4 minutes.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:06 PM

Re: stutter????

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i was in the parking lot with a few friends last night. i had my car running all lights on with my stereo (400 watt amp with no power caps) going. then all of a sudden, the cd stopped, so i thought it was a skip....then i tried to make the stereo go again...and it wouldn't. then i shut the car off then tried to restart it. it wouldn't restart. i had to jump the car. since then she has started fine. i am thinking it is a dead cell in the battery.... what do you guys think?

Kelli
Since the car was running when this happened, it's probably the alternator. I rember driving my previous car with the 600 watt cranking. I already knew that alt was bad because that battery light was on, but I was stupid about it anyway. Then all of a sudden the whole car died. Left me stranded in Vail, CO, I had to get towed 120 miles. Anyway, I would stay away from alternators that you get at places like autozone. They'll last about 15k before crapping out.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 09-05-2002 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:14 PM
billisa

Check this out...

Today my car wouldn't start, and it turned out that the alternator and battery were fine, BUT the terminals on the battery had too much buildup, hence a bad connection! My mechanic did a load test and checked the alternator -- refused to allow me to spend $70. for a new battery -- just cleaned the terminals and sent me on my way, no charge (at least from my wallet).
Old 09-05-2002, 08:19 PM

Thumbs up

Now that is a nice mechanic worth keeping.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:22 PM

the resistance in the wire from the alternator to the battery may be a little high after all these years and with the minimal output our alternators have at ~700rpm, the car was probably running most of the electronics straight off the battery causing it to fall below the minimum voltage required to start the car.