Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM

Engine check light flashing

my svx has been stored for almost a year and eventhough that I did crank up the engine every other week, now during cold weather, the engine would die quickly during start up but works fine on regular days... I ran a read on the ECU but nothing showed up for the engine but the engine check light keeps "flashing" instead of constantly staying on.

anyone got any idea on the potential problem here? much appreciated!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Engine check light flashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansvx View Post
my svx has been stored for almost a year and eventhough that I did crank up the engine every other week, now during cold weather, the engine would die quickly during start up but works fine on regular days... I ran a read on the ECU but nothing showed up for the engine but the engine check light keeps "flashing" instead of constantly staying on.

anyone got any idea on the potential problem here? much appreciated!
You need to pull the code(s) but flashing is reserved for serious codes so you probably shouldn't drive it until you pull the codes.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 AM

thanks! so, how do you pull the codes? from the ECU? I did that but no particular malfunction codes showed up...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
thanks! so, how do you pull the codes? from the ECU? I did that but no particular malfunction codes showed up...
I have a code reader but I think there is some procedure in the "how to" section that flashes one of the lights to tell you what the code is.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 AM

What I did was to take the kick panel loose below your fuse box underneath your dash. Locate 2 blue wires. Locate 2 black connectors. Grab the smaller of the 2 connectors and hold it notch up. With the ignition off, insert 1 of the blue wires in the top row, 2nd pin from the left. Turn key to on position but do not start car. Count your CE light for blinks. Long blinks=10 short blinks=1. There may be more than one code stored so count several times. I think this is for USDM only though. Not sure if this is what your looking for.

Last edited by Will; 12-27-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

oops double post

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 12-27-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Constant flashing check engine light while you do the test means no codes. Irregular flashing is the CEL telling you the codes. If it were to flash while driving it usually means misfire.

Need more info..

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 12-27-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM

it is a constant flashing even after the engine is fired up and in driving mode too. if it's misfire, would replacing spark pulgs solve it?

I'll also look into the kick panel code reading procedure as well. much appreciated!

my 100% real carbon fiber lay-over plastics + blk suede interior conversion is about done. can't wait to share!

fingers crossed that the long storing for the interior conversion would not cost me major engine problems...

thanks for the advice!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
it is a constant flashing even after the engine is fired up and in driving mode too. if it's misfire, would replacing spark pulgs solve it?

I'll also look into the kick panel code reading procedure as well. much appreciated!

my 100% real carbon fiber lay-over plastics + blk suede interior conversion is about done. can't wait to share!

fingers crossed that the long storing for the interior conversion would not cost me major engine problems...

thanks for the advice!
You might first look under the driver kick panel and make sure the test ground isnt hooked into the test plug. Otherwise yeah flashing all the time while running is a misfire.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 AM

would anyone know if there is a difference in the black connector and blue wire set up for 96 & newer? mine is a 96 and I could only find one blue+orange stripe wire... is that it? also, a photo of the black connector would be really helpful... thanks!!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
would anyone know if there is a difference in the black connector and blue wire set up for 96 & newer? mine is a 96 and I could only find one blue+orange stripe wire... is that it? also, a photo of the black connector would be really helpful... thanks!!
Your car is OBD2. Go out and buy a cheap but decent code reader and pull the codes.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 AM

yes, I did have a shop done the code reading but nothing shown malfunction on the engine section... what am I missing here? sorry for my lack of better technical knowledge...
Old 01-22-2011, 07:52 PM

after replacing the spark plugs, the flashing remains.... experts please help!
Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Registered SVX

You're going to have to get the codes checked out. If it is in fact misfiring, you are either not getting spark or fuel to one of the cylinders...
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM

does that method apply to OBD II models? code reader reads fine and I just could not find the wiring as others have mentioned previously....

a photo of the wiring would help big time! much appreciated!