How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 AM

hard start issue

I recently put a new battery in the svx and after its been sitting for a few weeks in near freezing temps I decided to take the car for a drive,after several attemps of popping back out the intake and exhaust it barely started after it started to smooth out and warmup you can cut the car off and restart it with ease.But after sitting overnight I gave up this morning trying to get it started.One thing I did notice was that the fans was on while I was trying to start the car so I replaced the coolant temp sensor with one from a 91 legacy i found at a salvage yard,that was probably bad also because my car is still hard to start,I have some extra ignitors and will order a coolant temp sensor tomorrow.Any ideas let me know what you think.I got a few days before I get the parts so I will check the fuel system first and go forth from there.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: hard start issue

Sounds like you are on the right track with the coolant temp sensor. You should check for any stored codes to be sure.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track with the coolant temp sensor. You should check for any stored codes to be sure.
Yup, classic coolant temp sensor issues. When they fail or are failing, they cause the ECU to always see a warm engine condition, which includes not wanting to start when it is cold as it is not giving the right mixture for the cold temps. Also makes the fans turn on since the ECU is "seeing" a warm engine.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Yup, classic coolant temp sensor issues. When they fail or are failing, they cause the ECU to always see a warm engine condition, which includes not wanting to start when it is cold as it is not giving the right mixture for the cold temps. Also makes the fans turn on since the ECU is "seeing" a warm engine.
That's interesting because I know someone once said that the ECU sensor drifts toward reading too cold like the gauge sender does when it ages. I thought that sounded backwards at the time and you are saying it is. So shouldn't he be able to start his car and grab OBD data to compare his readings to ambient to see if he is reading too warm? It takes a few seconds for the temps to rise, I would think.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 12-20-2010, 10:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
That's interesting because I know someone once said that the ECU sensor drifts toward reading too cold like the gauge sender does when it ages. I thought that sounded backwards at the time and you are saying it is. So shouldn't he be able to start his car and grab OBD data to compare his readings to ambient to see if he is reading too warm? It takes a few seconds for the temps to rise, I would think.
I'm sure it is possible to err in that direction as well, but it seems as though it never does as every CTS problem I've heard of results in a no start in cold conditions. This also explains why you can shut the car off, and start it up and it fires away immediately. The coolant is still warm, giving the ECU a warm temp reading, or its defaulted to a warm reading which causes the ECU to give the right mixture and have no issues.

Another thing with a CTS that is failing, is you will get some bogging/surging until the car warms up on colder days.

The only way to get OBD data if it is a 95 or earlier is with a Subaru Select Monitor as far as I know. Those aren't something the average person has but that would be one way to check.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:40 AM

Also I realized the coolant temp sensor I replaced wasn't the right one,after reading some older post I replaced the single spade connector and should have replaced the dual spade connector,I think I can round one up today.If that get me back up running I will perform a good cleaning of any sensor contacts I can get my wire brush on.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Sure enough after removing the correct sensor and giving it a good cleaning with a wire brush my car fired up with no problems.The real test is to see how it starts after sitting overnight again in freezing temps,if that goes well I will clean the contact points on my other sensors and grounding point as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:25 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Let us know how it goes. The '97 I'm picking up has similar cold weather issues.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM

I went out at 6 am and turned the key and the car started so easy that I was surprised but relieved at the same time.I guess the buildup on the cts is really a issue when the weather is colder.Now I am looking forward for some snow this weekend so I can put my snow tires and second gear start to work.Thanks for the help on this issue because the fans coming on in cold weather before even starting the car was a dead give away.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:38 AM

I started the car this morning also and drove it to work,I noticed that the car actually sounded a little smoother warming up than before I ran into the coolant temp sensor problem,again thanks for the help.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Driving in Style

I have the occasional hard start and sometimes a surging while driving with a cold engine. Where is this sensor located? Pic?

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 12-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

It's in the coolant crossover pipe on the driver side of the engine. Don't have a pic handy though.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Found a pic on eBay of all places- the sensor is on the left bottom edge of the crossover pipe in the attached pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sensor.jpg (55.1 KB, 221 views)
Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 PM
Driving in Style

Thanks! How hard is it to get that bugger out of there?

1992 SVX Purple and Black 5 speed swap

SOLD
*1993 SVX Silver and Black
*1994 SVX L Barcelona Red FWD
Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Haven't replaced one yet myself, but it probably follows the Subaru Law Of Inverse Difficulty; the cheaper the part is, the harder it is to replace. Since the sensor is about $30, it's probably a hoot to replace it !