Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
A specific question about the old "dipstick popping out" issue

So I noticed one day that the dipstick was out. I pushed back in and drove the car a few times and it didn't pop out. After a couple of weeks, it was out again. I noticed it when I went to work on the hood squeak.

I know the two issues are the rubber o-ring and the PCV valve. I know that a new o-ring usually solves the problem. My concern is what if it is the PCV valve? Getting a better seal on that dipstick would only cause the pressures to rise and there might not be any other immediate symptoms of a stuck PCV valve. Assuming that were the case, what damage could be done by not replacing a bad PCV because either one doesn't know about it or one saw a symptom but fixed that symptom another way and assumed the PCV valve was OK?

Normally I would just replace the o-ring and not worry too much about it but I have another symptom that might point to the PCV valve in an indirect way. When the weather got cold my idle would bounce immediately after starting the car. It would jump up to a normal RPM first. Then it would drop very low and nearly stall. Then it would bounce back to the normal cold RPM again. Then it would drop again but not as low. This repeats and the "undershoot" is less each time until the car finally settles on the normal RPM for a cold idle. It takes all of about 5 seconds for this to happen.

From what I have read, it sounds like this could be due to a stuck AACV and the AACV could be stuck due to oil being pushed out which in turn could be due to the stuck PCV valve. However, this bouncy idle seems to be getting better with time since I replaced the O2 sensor. Sometimes it doesn't bounce at all. Maybe the AACV is OK and the bouncy idle was due to the O2 sensor. And the underside of the car looks pretty dry right now. I get zero drips of oil on the driveway. So maybe the PCV isn't stuck after all.

But the bottom line is, what damage can be done by a stuck PCV valve?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 11-13-2010, 11:20 PM

Registered SVX
Re: A specific question about the old "dipstick popping out" issue

If the pressures in the crank case are high enough you could potentially start leaking from your cam, crank, valve cover and/or rear main seals.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX

I've had the same issue with the dipstick popping out and replaced the o-ring to get it to stop. I also planned to replace the PCV valve at the same time, but after 3 failed attempts I still haven't been able to get it out. I'm going to try once more with a different tool before I take the manifold off and do it the hard way. But yeah, the pressure has to go somewhere, it's best if it goes where it was designed to go.

I've also had the same issue with the idle during start-up. I've never looked into because I usually forget about it by the time I get back home lol.

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6

Last edited by Coan; 11-14-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coan View Post
I've had the same issue with the dipstick popping out and replaced the o-ring to get it to stop. I also planned to replace the PCV valve at the same time, but after 3 failed attempts I still haven't been able to get it out. I'm going to try once more with a different tool before I take the manifold off and do it the hard way. But yeah, the pressure has to go somewhere, it's best if it goes where it was designed to go.

I've also had the same issue with the idle during start-up. I've never looked into because I usually forget about it by the time I get back home lol.
Yeah, the cold idle is a weird one. It was doing it consistently so I was convinced that I was going to have to remove and clean the AACV at some point. It didn't stop immediately after replacing the O2 sensor but now, suddenly, it occasionally will start in the morning with no bouncing. Someone had mentioned that the computer may just be taking its time settling on correct air/fuel mixtures.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 11-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Someone had mentioned that the computer may just be taking its time settling on correct air/fuel mixtures.
On this note it could be temperature related.

All summer long I had the dipstick popping out, but as winter rolled in that has stopped and now I have vicious bouncy idle which kicks in right after I pull out of my garage.

I have had PVC issues in the past, but there is something else causing the fouling of the valve. I know Harvey explained it to us once but damned if I can remember.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
On this note it could be temperature related.

All summer long I had the dipstick popping out, but as winter rolled in that has stopped and now I have vicious bouncy idle which kicks in right after I pull out of my garage.

I have had PVC issues in the past, but there is something else causing the fouling of the valve. I know Harvey explained it to us once but damned if I can remember.
It doesn't happen when you start it but when you pull out of the garage? If that is the case, I would suspect IACV which, from my understanding, is what takes over when the engine warms up versus when the car has just been started and is still very cold.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

My thought was that vibration was the reason that the dipstick moved out. With the o-ring being replaced, the dipstick may not be able to vibrate out, and pressure may not be increased at all. Just a thought.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 11-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
My thought was that vibration was the reason that the dipstick moved out. With the o-ring being replaced, the dipstick may not be able to vibrate out, and pressure may not be increased at all. Just a thought.
Yeah, that's my hope but I am concerned that the PCV may be causing it and I was just wondering what damage that could cause. I got a good answer to that. It sounds like you think the PCV is not what causes the dipstick to pop out and it is always the o-ring plus vibration. If that is true, I would be happy to hear that. The o-ring I can replace. The PCV involves issues that I am not sure I trust myself to deal with. I depend on this car daily so I don't want to mess it up to the point where I can't drive it for several days. If I had time to go nice and slow I may feel good about something on the level of the PCV and maybe even taking the intake manifold off to get a better look at the AACV. But my next few weekends will be taken up with putting up xmas lights and coaching basketball. It would be great to just take care of the o-ring and keep an eye on the bouncy idle to see where that goes.

My son informed me today that he would like to modify cars. Looks like I may need to keep an eye out for a project. I probably should have jumped at that 1997 SVX in PA last week.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

When your PCV valve is really bad, you piss oil out of all seals as well as popping up the dipstick and oil in all of the intake tubes... Oh, about 3 quarts get lost in a 200 mile drive with 4.44's and cruising at 75 mph...
Ask me how i know...
Old 11-15-2010, 05:43 AM

Replacing the PCV valve on both of my cars (I should say, having the PCV valves replaced by a nimble mechanic with small hands) instantly and completely cured dipstick pop-up. Old Subarus suck lots of oil and crank gases though the intake. That's not a problem unless you're losing quarts between changes or leaving a cloud of blue smoke in your wake. I'd change the PCV.

My silver SVX has always had an odd bouncy idle when warm, ONLY when rolling to a stop. This is most noticeable in stop-and-go traffic. Sitting still at idle, it's so smooth and quiet I glance at the gauges to be sure it's running. So long as she doesn't stall, I can live with it.

dcb
Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I checked again last night, I guess my idle is bouncy even before I leave the garage. Strange, though, it was rough all the way to the store, park for 40 minutes, then it's smooth and steady all the way back.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
I checked again last night, I guess my idle is bouncy even before I leave the garage. Strange, though, it was rough all the way to the store, park for 40 minutes, then it's smooth and steady all the way back.
My guess is the gunk thats slowing your AACV warms up and thins after the engine heat permeates to the throttle body. Our intake gunk is very viscous when its hot but turns to tar when it cools.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Replacing the PCV valve on both of my cars (I should say, having the PCV valves replaced by a nimble mechanic with small hands) instantly and completely cured dipstick pop-up. Old Subarus suck lots of oil and crank gases though the intake. That's not a problem unless you're losing quarts between changes or leaving a cloud of blue smoke in your wake. I'd change the PCV.

My silver SVX has always had an odd bouncy idle when warm, ONLY when rolling to a stop. This is most noticeable in stop-and-go traffic. Sitting still at idle, it's so smooth and quiet I glance at the gauges to be sure it's running. So long as she doesn't stall, I can live with it.

dcb
My idle is only bouncy when cold and only for a few seconds immediately after starting the car.

I don't see blue smoke so I guess that is good. Would you expect a bad PCV to pop the dipstick even if the dipstick has a new o-ring?

If I am getting oil pushed into the wrong places due to a PCV, wouldn't I see some in the end of the black air "snorkle" which is clamped to the intake manifold?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
My idle is only bouncy when cold and only for a few seconds immediately after starting the car.

I don't see blue smoke so I guess that is good. Would you expect a bad PCV to pop the dipstick even if the dipstick has a new o-ring?

If I am getting oil pushed into the wrong places due to a PCV, wouldn't I see some in the end of the black air "snorkle" which is clamped to the intake manifold?
1) Your dipstick may not pop out with a new o-ring, especially if it is installed well and is a good fit. This would simply mask the problem. PCV valves are CHEAP! i suggest spending a weekend with a crows-foot and replacing it.

2) You may see some at the end of the snorkle, or it may just be in the intake manifold. Depends on the pressures your crank case is seeing.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 11-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

I used a right-angle ratcheting wrench to remove my PCV valve... one... click... at... a... time.

Last edited by LetItSnow; 11-15-2010 at 02:23 PM.